Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Seadog available in standard game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Seadog available in standard game?

I enjoyed using the Elizabethan Seadog in the Age of Discovery scenario because it could capture enemy galleons with treasure on board. I would like to use this capability in a mod, and wonder if it is enough to just define it in the standard game with its PRTO as defined in Age of D. Would it work? Or is it hardwired so the mod would have to be a variant of Age of D? Other new unique units from the scenarios are available to the editor. It would be a significant extension of C3C to make this capturing characteristic general.

Not sure what a seadog is, so I doubt it is in the epic game.

Comment

The Man-O-War has enslave.

Comment

Does it capture the Treasure unit? I didn't think it captured any cargo of the victim ship.

Comment

Good question. You can certainly create a privateer in the epic game that actually has a nationality (just don't flag it as hidden nationality). That is effectively what the Elizabethan Seadog is.

AFAIK the capturing ships bit will only apply if they have treasure on board. If they don't then the enslave option comes in and it creates whatever unit is set in the editor (another Seadog in the scenario). Only if the ship is carrying treasure is it captured unchanged. I would guess that is in the game itself, not the editor, so it should work in the epic game. You will have to set up some way of creating treasure in the epic game if you want this to happen. It will probably not happen very often if you do as the AI isn't too good at dealing with treasure.

If you don't want to set up treasure and you want to capture galleons rather than make privateers then you could just change what the enslave results in from privateer to galleon in the editor for the privateer unit. Then you will get galleons from privateer attacks, not more privateers.
          Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Think I'll play with some scenarios in the editor tonight and see what kind of weird ship captures I can come up with.

Comment

Based on my Age of Discovery game, when the Sea Dog attacks a galleon with treasure and wins, about 1/3 of the time it captures the galleon with all units on board, including those carrying treasure; 1/3 of the time you get a new Sea Dog (normal enslave behavior;it could be modded to give you some other ship), and 1/3 of the time neither, though you may get an increase to veteran or elite status. The Sea Dog is the only unit that has the capture capability, as far as I know. That is what I would like to make generally available for mods.

Comment

Working...
              X