No announcement yet.

Simple, yet addictive...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Smiley: I do. I need 5 city styles. 3 for the playable civs. Isometric, cultural specific. I'll PM you the other two styles as I want the other two city styles to be a surprise.

@Curt: Hi-Res! No, no, just kidding I'm thinking Favouredflight, but less medieval-ish. Since all the techs for the units will depend on what events a player uncovers they need to be representative of that event. Think of the Megaman video game. When you beat the boss on the ice level you will get the ability to use the boss' ice attack. Beat the wind boss, you get the wind attack. The units need to follow that line of thinking. I will PM you some of my ideas on what we can do.

Comment

Hey, I need some brain power. I'm thinking of replacing the one sided mountain tiles in Terrain2 with hill tiles. Then I'd get rid of the hills compilation and replace them with a jungle compilation similar to the forest, thus creating two types of wooded tiles.

Also, I was thinking of replacing the railroad tiles with wall tiles, so I could simulate walls surrounding a settlement. Add a fortress on top, one that blends with the walls, and you have a Great Wall type structure.

Also, the river tiles could be used for some useful aquatic features... Hmmm, ideas abound...

Any thoughts? Can these ideas work?

Comment

Well, Harry:
        you understand the hills/mountain placement matrix, as shown in your tactical scenario in Atomic Eagle.

I think these are cool ideas, but keep in mind that the RR will mean
        limitless movement around the city, and also the AI will build them anywhere.
        http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
        http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just scrap the railroad tech from the game then, so the AI can't build them. I would really much like to see a wall graphics. I was intending to use one in a scenario I was planning, but I can't draw Anyways I was intending to replace the hill-graphic with the wall-graphic, not the railroads. But I like your idea Harry!
          "Peace cannot be kept by force.
          It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Thanks guys.

Curt, I was actually thinking of not giving a settler unit to the AI. Also, seeing as this is a gigamap and the surrounding area of all three player driven civs are ok for city planting, I was going to make any settlers that appear in the game event driven. That way, no one player will sit and "camp" in their own little area, and will have to venture out to expand.

As for the limitless movement, I might put some gaps in the walls and plop down some castle units. That way movement will be somewhat limited.

As for the river tile set, I was thinking of using the river outlet as a nice intermediary between the water and river tile. That way, I can still use the border tiles for regular land, and use the river graphics for "the shallows"... which is another thing I'll have to design. The shallows idea is neat in that it will function the same as land, thereby not allowing boats to travel on it. Also, the movement bonus of the rivers can be used for barbarian units. To deny the use of the river bonus movement to the 3 civ players I can place some non-moving barbarian units in strategic places on the river land. The movable barb units can pass through these units, but the 3 civs cannot.

As I mentioned before I hope to replace the hills with a jungle mix. That'll prove useful on one of the continents.

Gimmee some more ideas guys, this is turning out very well.

Comment

The "shallows" idea works wonderfully. Next up: Jungle tiles...

Comment

I will be interested to see if this settler system works.

Damned settlers gave me hell with Bitterfrost!

What is the status with the tech tree, Harry?
                http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

It's sitting idle. I have a basic idea but beyond that nothing. I think a little research could be in order, but I want there to be a few big stopgaps that only an event can open up.

You know: I researched saddle riding, but I have to go out and find the event that will give me beast taming so I can get the mounted lion shock trooper.

I'm thinking of stuff like that. If you have any ideas, please don't be afraid to write them into a rules.txt.

Since the scenario is about exploring and adventure the tech tree won't be to convoluted and closed. It's all open my friend.

Settlers are always a *****. The AI and most players build and build till they have a huge, compact powerhouse. That may be nice, but the thrill of the game is magnified when you have to put a unit in each city, your road system isn't entirely safe from attack, and each city has to fend for itself when groupings of enemy units attack. That's what I hope to put in this scenario. A little thrill knowing that your opposing player may sail right into a safe haven and wreak havoc.

Anyways, I'll have some time tomorrow night to work on some more terrain and a units list. Wish me luck.

Comment

Ok, Terrain2 is done. The jungle terrain looks nice, as well as the Mountain/Hill set. The river and river outlet modifications are looking good too.

I'll make up a unit list tonight and start work on Terrain1.

Comment

Ok, now that I have opened up another single tile terrain square, the jungle one, what should I use it for?

Comment

Turtle, turtle!
                        Attached Files

Comment

maybe i could help with the units atm i am working on byz scen but i finished making the units for it, and so most of the fun is over...

in this pic you can see my style of unit making and judge if it fits your own etc if i had any idea what sort of units you will use i would have made one along those lines
                          Attached Files

Comment

Wow, Varwnos, your scenario looks fun I might use a few things from your units just yet. I'm not aiming for a specific kind of units exclusively, but more of a montage, like the kind you would find in a period where science was outpacing tactics.

Comment

Fell free to use anything from my units, you can find more of them in the pre-steam graphics thread

Comment

I'm really looking forward to this one, Harry! I've been lurking the threads for a while
                                Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

Working...
                                X