Rumble in Apolyton (moo game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumble in Apolyton (moo game)

OK, well I got the DOS version of MOO II to work on my computer reliably enough. I've only tested ver 1.2, but I'll soon be testing ver 1.31

In the meantime, those who wanted to clip brutalisk's wings, now is your chance to do it. Voice your interest in the game. The settings I predominantly have in mind are:

a) pre-warp
    b) average age galaxy
    c) 5 players
    d) large or huge size (to be decided), most probably large
    e) ship initiative on
    f) antarans off(since it makes the game crash), tactical on, random events on

Picks not allowed: Repulsive (so that you are forced to pick negative picks that actually HARM you)

Techs not allowed:

- Gyro Destabilisers (I'm still unsure why people were not aware of the GDs as being so destructive)
    - Stasis field
    - Ion Cannons and Plasma Cannons (open to discussion)
    - Phasing Cloak + Time Warp Fascilitator (however you can use them separately, ie a ship can have ONE of them but not both! (IF we were to reach that high up the tech tree))

In-Game Rules:

- Is Orion up for grabs? (open to discussion)
    - Only way to victory is to kill everyone else

If you are interested reply to this thread
    Last edited by Brutalisk; January 22, 2004, 03:01.

I don't think that senate works in a hotseat multiplayer game, sounds like fun.

I don't pick GDs so i'd like someone to pick them and kick my ass with them before I make judgement on them. Same with the other weapons. GDs are size 75 which is just horrible, Ion cannons can't be heavy so to hit is severly impaired, and they won't do much damage at all against sheilds.

Comment

Hmmm.

I doubt u will find a 5 player game with people who will play this setup. But u can try on kali. Maybe u will get lucky. But u should remeber of : antarans off - they crash games. Good luck.

PS : I dont play x ways anymore.

PK

Comment

antarans off is a good policy for the sake of keeping the special techs out of the game, but they don't crash my game, also when I had the *ahem* "undocumented" copy of the game I just used the dos mode game and they didn't crash it.

Comment

In multiplayer they crash games.

Comment

Antarans off -> no biggie is that your real problem?

Comment

and about twf/phasing cloak, initiative screws with the combo really bad, try it out(both times I have used it single player, I had to turn initiative off to make it work.).

Comment

Time Warp + phasing cloak on the same ship are a no no. Even with the latest version. Besides, as I said we are unlikely to go all the way up there anyway...

Comment

alright, but try it out with initative.

Comment

It's already there!!! (see 'e' )

Comment

GDs and Ion Cannons are reduced greately in 1.31
                      Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain.

Comment

have you tried the cloak/twf combo with initative on and got it to work?

Comment

Bakalov: I already know that..

Even with the Ion Cannon not being a heavy mount weapon it still is pretty lethal. Why? Because when ver 1.31 first came out I tested some of my ion-cannon tactics. It was a step forward but not enough. The same goes for the Gyro. Yes, they increased the space it takes, so what? Try and use it in a game and you'll see how bloody effective it still is even in ver 1.31

Don't treat me as if I just walked into MOOII.. ok? I see your msg as patronising. And all this talk all this time about wanting me to put my money where my mouth is. Now that I did, you all tacked your tails ...

I've set some parameters, do you want to play a game udenr those parameters yes or no? I am willing to change some of the parameters to meet people's desires but none of you has yet stepped forward.

Now we see who the loudmouths were...

Comment

Gyros and Ion Pulse Cannons are useless against Missile Bases, and IPCs are mostly useless against Star Bases. Personally, I always take Ion Drive over the Cannon, and no one should ever use the Gyro anyway except to take Orion because it has such a damn short range and is useless against small ships.

Time Warp Facilitator is extremely broken with or without Phase Cloaking, and should be banned.

If EVERYONE is Repulsive, I don't see a problem. It's like everyone getting to play a 16-pick race instead of a ten-pick one. And if you do decide to ban Repulsive, then everyone is gonna do low-g, -spying, and -GC, which is ten free picks anyway. The only way to make people take harmful picks is to ban Repulsive, Low-G, all combat penalties, -spying, and -50% pop growth.

And if two players each decide not to play Repulsive, they can conspire to share techs and thereby smoosh all the cheesy Repulsive players, so yes, Repulsive can be very harmful if you're not Creative.

One problem that I've noticed is that once you get to a certain population and tech level, you get new technologies like every three to five turns, while your ships are taking more like 30 to 50 turns to build. Generally speaking, ships are too expensive and technologies are not expensive enough - and considering the widely known brokenness of Unification, I think there's a lot of justification for requiring ALL players to be Feudal.

Banning Orion is a very interesting concept. I like it.

Comment

Working...
                            X