PROJECT: The Translation Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Solver
    Well, this case or not, but one can do fun things with German, like making great long words, like, uh Spielprogrammerscompilersautorsfraushund .
    If you do it correctly. What should this be by the way. I don't know a word like Programmer in German rather Programmierer. And I would expect that the programmer here programs or has programmed more than one game.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

• Nice by me, makes it even longer . I have a 1989 Berlin Huebener DOS manual on my desk now, and I really like words like Geratesonderheitanderung and those .
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Nice by me, makes it even longer . I have a 1989 Berlin Huebener DOS manual on my desk now, and I really like words like Geratesonderheitanderung and those .
        Actually one thing I still like about the German language:

instead of creating new words for everything, we look at its 'function'. Like a watch: Uhr
        If it is hanging on the wall: Wanduhr
        If it is standing: Standuhr
        If you have it in your pocket: Taschenuhr
        On your finger: Fingeruhr
        On your arm: Armbanduhr

If it is a radiocontrolled one: Funkuhr
        So a radiocontrolled watch on the wall (And you say German is looong) : Wandfunkuhr

And so on..........so it is easy

Most German words you can break down like this, it only get's complicated for 'artifical' things, like art, medicin and similar. Strong influence from other languages.

Computer: Similar either German words or English or sometimes even a mixture of them, which can sound rather funny Even better I, I have seen and heard it being used:

Floppy disk: Bitte fuehren Sie die weiche Disk in das Laufwerk ein.........(This will be more of a joke for people understanding German, and sorry can't translate........)

Comment

• Floppy disk: Bitte fuehren Sie die weiche Disk in das Laufwerk ein.........(This will be more of a joke for people understanding German, and sorry can't translate........)

got it....

What you say is so true... the first German texts I read, I generally looked at word and tried to break them down, and notice either a similarity with some English word, or something. If you know some 500 German words, you can already easily understand many texts... Now, though, breaking up long words into their origins and understanding the meaning is becoming more of a habit.

Comment

got it....

What you say is so true... the first German texts I read, I generally looked at word and tried to break them down, and notice either a similarity with some English word, or something. If you know some 500 German words, you can already easily understand many texts... Now, though, breaking up long words into their origins and understanding the meaning is becoming more of a habit.
            Took you quite long But it is a good one, or?

And this breaking up, I really love

Comment

• Took you quite long

Did it ?

Comment

Took you quite long

Did it ?
                6 hours

I must admit, when I first read it, I had to reread like 2 times and then I couldn't stop laughing for 'hours'. Even later or now, I still have to chuckle about it.

Comment

• There's a surprise then for you Gilg, I go offline sometimes .

Comment

• Ahhhhhh, OK, excused Leave granted

Comment

• Danke, Hauptoberjaegerfeldwebel .

Comment

• Bitte, gerne geschehen.

Und ABGETRETEN

Comment

• I can translate those files to spanish, if thats ok with you ppl

Comment

• Excellent . That would be most helpful.

Comment

• well, the playtest proyect has the English files translated to Spanish - everything was translated.
                              If someone can give me the link to the recent files that requieres translation, I can help with that

Comment

• Welcome _X_ and thanks for your work.

Most of the new strings to translate are on the first post of Martin in this thread, a few ones are in the first pages of this same thread once again.
                                "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                                X