PROJECT: The Translation Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Solver
    Or just say 'Things that our country posesses that do for some reason have a universal value' .

Which have the great advantage of being easy to use in the main interface.
    "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• It would abbreviate nicely to 'Things' .

Comment

• Originally posted by J Bytheway
        If you're going to change the concept of gold then you really should start worrying about exchange rates and inflation and many other economic concepts which have no place in a game like this.
        Can't see this really happening, but:

Which concept of gold? Every bloody nation has its own currency and might have changed this couple of times as well..........So there is no universal concept. The only concept which is/was there, that at one point somebody 'forced' the people to accept some funny coins with pictures or similar on, instead of exchanging my cow against 2 machine guns (or similar). But the value of a currency is even nowadays not determined or valued by a single person/institute/organisation. So it isn't a universal concept at all...............Best example in the moment the 'struggle' of the US with China.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gilgamensch
          Which concept of gold?
          The civ concept of gold, of course .

But you're right, even the value of gold in the real world is not universal, but it's better than currency...

Comment

• Yeah, but country wealth isn't measured in gold anymore, and it's not like the value of currency of a particular country depends on it gold reserves, either.

If you have a kilogram block of gold now, you won't go into a shop and buy what you want, you'll have to sell it somehow which is actually quite a tiresome process.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• Originally posted by J Bytheway
              The civ concept of gold, of course .
              This is the point.

Just because you can do fun things with words in German does not mean you should. This change cannot be represented in other languages and misrepresents what the concept "Gold" in CTP2 actually is and does.
              ·Circuit·Boi·wannabe·
              "Evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet."
              Call to Power 2 Source Code Project 2005.06.28 Apolyton Edition

Comment

• Well, there isn't a problem at all really, since everyone who has played any version of civ before knows that gold means money.

Look, in SMAC, they called it credits, because of the overall sci-fi setting - energy credits, to be specific. Yet I see SMAC players refer to them as gold probably more than as credits...

Comment

• Originally posted by Flinx
                  This is the point.

Just because you can do fun things with words in German does not mean you should. This change cannot be represented in other languages and misrepresents what the concept "Gold" in CTP2 actually is and does.
                  Flinx,

check this post for an English version. It works in all languages.

And as Solver mentioned, doesn't really matter how you call, people will know it is gold..........but it would add a better feeling.

Comment

• Gilg, honestly, how many times do you read the message boxes? I don't read the full texts, I just notice which city and what happens.... like, Cleric, Trondheim, and I know what's going on .

Comment

Gilg, honestly, how many times do you read the message boxes? I don't read the full texts, I just notice which city and what happens.... like, Cleric, Trondheim, and I know what's going on .
                      I read it every time.......

OK honestly: I actually even shortened some of the messages as the city went out of the box and didn't really bothered about opening the message........So same as for you, what, where and that's it

But, me thinks, it would still give it a better flavour. Even as you might not recognise it. Otherwise we could also reduce all the graphics and so on.....

Comment

• Yes, a better flavor or atmosphere, possibly, but I am showing that this shouldn't be too much of a priority becaue once one gets used to messages, they're no longer read in full text.

In Civ3, you gain a tech, ad the text depends on your advancement level - you're told that your Sages discovered the secret, or scientists discovered the technology, etc.... yet most players hardly if ever notice it.

Comment

Yes, a better flavor or atmosphere, possibly, but I am showing that this shouldn't be too much of a priority because once one gets used to messages, they're no longer read in full text.

In Civ3, you gain a tech, ad the text depends on your advancement level - you're told that your Sages discovered the secret, or scientists discovered the technology, etc.... yet most players hardly if ever notice it.
                          again agreed. But like if you concentrate on it again, you might enjoy it better. There are even things which you might only 'recognise' via your subconscious way. Espacially if you play it again after a long break and similar, you might actually really enjoy it. But most of us, which I consider, hardcore players they couldn't be bothered less. But like even myself, when not having played for 2 month, I realised a few little things in the graphics and similar, which I missed while having a play with civ2 ToT.

Comment

• Well yes it does create a better overal feeling of the game, and yes, the subconscious mind probably does notice this. Like what I really love about RoN - the game seems to have extreme polish and fantastic attention to detail. Same goes for AOE2, one of the most polished games I've seen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flinx
                              What are the fun things I can do in German? Well the difference between the original English version and my German version is that the English version refers to the place at that the gold is stored, and tells the player that it is empty. My German version that there is not enough gold ok actual that there is no gold, but that means that the place at that the gold is stored is empty.

-Martin
                              Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

• Well, this case or not, but one can do fun things with German, like making great long words, like, uh Spielprogrammerscompilersautorsfraushund .

Comment

Working...
                                X