Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about Direct IP Game?
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
      How about Direct IP Game?
      CtP2 multiplayer games are played through a server not through direct IP links as in Civ2 MP.
      "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Technically, yes. But saying a server game would suck pretty much. But I would indeed also assume that LAN falls under "Network Game". Age of Mythology button for playing on servers says "Online", under Multiplayer, which also has the "Direct IP" and "LAN" buttons.

Comment

[NOTE]I am posting again what I have posted yesterday in the Playtest thread as the Translation Center thread seems more appropriate.[/NOTE]

The text displayed in the lower part of the screen in the French version of the main interface needs to be changed, the text is too long and should be shortened so that the letters in the middle of the sentence do not overlap:

[CHANGE]

Cette version de Call to Power 2 a été développée sur le site http://apolyton.net. Contact : ctp2source@apolyton.net

[/CHANGE]
          "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann

Not quite, I just discovered a copy and paste error by me. Therefore player[0].government; doesn't work as expected, of course there are other ways to get the GovernmentDB index, but that shouldn't be a problem to fix the mistake, I just want to add more.

-Martin
            OK, waiting

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin
              Gilgamensch, I do not agree with you about gold, though it would add some flavor this is a game term and my experience as a former game translator tells me it is bad to change such things.
              Don't really see the problem here. Just adding more empire feeling We are not changing really anything, just trying to give it more taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                Network Game = Netzwerk Spiel in German. Don't know though if it's regularly used - I'm more used to seeing Mehrspieler, which stands for Multiplayer, but Netzwerk Spiel should be fine.
                Actually Netzwerk normally refers to a LAN connection or a network of LAN's. (actually even roads/streets/motorways can be refered to as a Netzwerk )

Mehrspieler could be anything, LAN/hotseat/WAN/IP/......It just means multiplayer.

But Netzwerk Spiel is OK to be used.

Heck, we are even used to read manuals which are halfway written in not sure which language. I think some people don't even use the free translators on the www correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilgamensch

Don't really see the problem here. Just adding more empire feeling We are not changing really anything, just trying to give it more taste.
                  You can add much flavor in most of the strings but I still think that major game terms like Gold should not be replaced, these are things that are somewhat engraved in the marble. The newcomers need some landmarks and Gold should not change according to the era or the government. This is a matter of coherence with the rest of the game.

This opinion is coming from my experience in the "paper" gaming industry, one must never change an important game term once a translation has been chosen and publish. When I finish my translation of the SAP2 (one day) I would like to rework all the French strings to add to CtP2 the flavor it is often missing... I don't know when I have the courage to start working on this project but I know for sure that Gold will stay Gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin

You can add much flavor in most of the strings but I still think that major game terms like Gold should not be replaced, these are things that are somewhat engraved in the marble. The newcomers need some landmarks and Gold should not change according to the era or the government. This is a matter of coherence with the rest of the game.

This opinion is coming from my experience in the "paper" gaming industry, one must never change an important game term once a translation has been chosen and publish. When I finish my translation of the SAP2 (one day) I would like to rework all the French strings to add to CtP2 the flavor it is often missing... I don't know when I have the courage to start working on this project but I know for sure that Gold will stay Gold.

For me it actually sounds funny (to say it friendly) that in Demo's and similar you still refer to it as gold. Take the western world, do you really think we still trade with gold? (I know the French are always different, or was it the English ) Nobody uses nowadays gold anymore. It is just 'electronical' calculated. They might be some gold-reserves existing, but they are not used anymore. So if it says like rushbuy for 20.000 gold........that sounds strange for a project like a fusion tank in a Technocracy

Comment

• Ahh but that's the way this game is! Civ has some cornerstones to it - gold is gold, Setllers found cities, Barbarians are annoying and so on .

Comment

• Originally posted by Gilgamensch
                        ... (I know the French are always different, or was it the English ...
                        You are obviously talking about the English.

Nobody uses nowadays gold anymore. It is just 'electronical' calculated. They might be some gold-reserves existing, but they are not used anymore. So if it says like rushbuy for 20.000 gold........that sounds strange for a project like a fusion tank in a Technocracy
                        I know, I know, but Game Terms are Game Terms, they should remain unchanged all along the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin
                          You are obviously talking about the English.
                          I beg to differ - he is obviously talking about the French .

If you're going to change the concept of gold then you really should start worrying about exchange rates and inflation and many other economic concepts which have no place in a game like this.

Comment

• Originally posted by J Bytheway

I beg to differ - he is obviously talking about the French .

Long live the Entente Cordiale...

Comment

• Personally I think the game should use 'Pieces of Silver'
                              ·Circuit·Boi·wannabe·
                              "Evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet."
                              Call to Power 2 Source Code Project 2005.06.28 Apolyton Edition

Comment

• Or just say 'Things that our country posesses that do for some reason have a universal value' .

Comment

Working...
                                X