Do you name your ships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you name your ships?

Does anyone else name all of their ships individually? Like the USS Goliath or the TKO Don Flamenco? I always thought it sounded more epic in battles this way.

I don't but I know a few other do.

Comment

I do because I think it stops the ai from overriding the design.
      I name them cruiser, or battleship, or titan,etc.

Comment

I name the designs but not the individual ships.

I'm especially fond of names like "Kitty Killer" or "Rock Smasher" depending on which race I'm currently planning to attack. Good thing the ai can't read

Comment

I just note the upgrades or versions -- helps to distiguish which ones need to be refitted and in what priority.

In the future, I may add something to note a leader aboard (without having to switch to other screens to get that information) so I can operate fleets better.
          Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

"I do because I think it stops the ai from overriding the design.
            I name them cruiser, or battleship, or titan,"
            Whoha, actually no, it doesn't stop the game from overriding the design. The designs get resetted in quite a few cases no matter what you do -> the earliest one being when you discover lasers.

And to answer Leusugi's quesiton, yeah I always rename my ships.

Name and icon -> depict a certain configuration (usually)
            Sometimes I add a number to show it's an advanced model. (eg Enterprise I, II, etc) and I also add something that instantly tells me the size of the ship (M/B, CRV, FRG, VSD, ISD, D/S for the 6 classes).

Titans for example carry the ISD in front of them. This helps me instantly recognize my designs from the computer's.

Comment

I rename the class but not the ship. When I upgrade the design I change the icon.
              Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

I always name my ships. I use hard names, like : Battle Beast, War Predator, Black Dragon, etc. These names and my race gives me the feeling ( somekind of faifth ) that i am stronger then my enemy. And u can belive it or not, this feeling gives me higher morale and makes me toughter in fights. Ask Corny ! He lost 2 mayor fights with me when he had more stuff. I love my ships !

PK the Battle Master

Comment

naming ships is one of my favourite aspects, I've called them just about everything, a recent favourite was russian tanks, before that it was byzantine citys and units, now i give them self righteous names like Galactic and Imperial, in an effort to cow my feeble AI opponents. I get bored after a few name changes though, then i settle down and just use numbers to indicate version (Intruder Mk IV)

I was tagging them SS for Star Ship, but then i realised anybody glancing over my shoulder might misinterpret it as Waffen SS and have me locked up!

in multiplayer, it's a nice way to taunt your opponent, I also like renaming Orion as "You Loser" or something, start war inside five turns or your money back!
                  I had something very witty to say. I wrote it down on a piece of paper, it's around here somewhere. give me a minute?

Comment

jep, I do. Dreadnought I II III ....., Doomstar I II III....., Planet Buster I II III ....., Star Destroyer I II III ..... etc.
                    usually I wait until those planet size ships before start building my fleet.
                    My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

I don't think you can name individual ships?

Besides, I won't bother in MoO, when you can have thousands of huge ships.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I don't do it, but you probably could change the name of the sjip design for each size and in effect end up with a name for each one. IIRC you can keep old designs in the game, but not sure what the limit is for them.

Comment

Yeah, you can name the ship designs, not that ships themselves AFAIK.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Every time you refit a ship you can change that ship's name, so yes one can have "individual" ship names.

I usually have an "M" for missile boats -- otherwise the default is for beams. I sometimes will have a ship with an "H" for Hard shields for use in smoky environs.
                            Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

I only realized recently that you can do this, but I haven't tried it, yet.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X