Windowed mode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windowed mode?

Is there any way to play in a windowed mode for C3C? I remember there was once a long time ago, but nothing more really...

AFAIK it does not allow that in CivIII,PTW or C3C. It is flat not supported. I forget the explaination, but one was post somewhere here.

Comment

Originally posted by (Our Lord and Saviour ) Soren Johnson Firaxis

depends upon what you mean by windowed mode, but if you set

KeepRes=1
      VideoMode=1024

and then set you moniter to 1280 (or whatever), Civ3 will stay in a (non-traditional) window. That's how I play...
      These lines need to be added to the .ini file for Civ3, or PtW, or C3C, or whichever version(s) support them.

I have not tested this myself though, so I am not entirely certain WHAT it does....
      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

I think it has something to do with Civ3 using DirectX, which doesn't support windowed mode. Or something like that.

Comment

I'm pretty sure DirectX programs can never be run in a window. The whole point of DirectX is to bypass a lot of the Windows overhead, including the window manager, to talk to the video driver faster.

Comment

hm, i don't know. i've played games which use DirectX (what game doesn't use it nowadays?) and could run them in a window...
            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I don't think it is Direct X, it is probably direct draw. Some games using direct X, such as Might and Magic VI will run in a true window.

Comment

KeepRes=1
                VideoMode=1280

in the conquest ini makes the game run nearly like windowed mode for me

Comment

smellymummy - I read Soren's post (and quoted it above!)but I have not tried this yet (and am unable to right now). What exactly does this do?
                  Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Do you really need windowed mode? Alt-Tabbing works nice for me, no hangups at all.

Comment

I don't know why, but alt tab doesn't work for me in civ3. Another gift from Big Brother Bill at the ministry of love.

PS

Thanks guys, I'll get back on whether it works...

Comment

Use the Windows buton to get to the desktop in XP or Win98.

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
                          smellymummy - I read Soren's post (and quoted it above!)but I have not tried this yet (and am unable to right now). What exactly does this do?
                          it keeps the background resolution the same as your desktop (keepres) and forces the game map to be in a certain resolution (videomode). civ3 is then fixed there like a window you can't move. so instead of the monitor refreshing on alt tabs, it doesnt, and you can have a smaller window over civ3.

Comment

Working...
                          X