Random Civs aren't so random. A bug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Civs aren't so random. A bug?

Anyone notice when you pick random Civs..90% of the time the Incas, Aztecs, Amercians, Iroquois, and Mayans are in your "Random" game.

Why is this? A bug?

I play Emperor, 8 civs.

Is there a way to truly make it random?

Actually, in the past three epic games I've played, I've only faced one of those civs once, so I don't think there's a problem with randomness here.

Are you playing with culturally-linked locations? If so, you should be aware that the civs are put into groups. Thus, if you play a European civ, you are likely to have other European civs as neighbors. The Incas, Americans, Aztecs, Iroquois and Mayans are in the same group (I think there's one more in that group, but I'm not sure.) If you play as any member of that group, you will likely have the others in your game.
    They don't get no stranger.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
    "We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail." George W. Bush

Comment

I play as Dutch or Byzantines

Comment

Actually, I've noticed this same problem - I'm currently running version 1.13. Regardless of whether "culturally linked" is selected or not, I almost always have most (or all) of the American tribes in my random games. In fact, in my last game, even though culturally linked was selected, my Vikings were the only european tribe in the game so I was stuck between the Incas and Mayans.

Comment

Perhaps it's just the (un)luck of the RNG.

I've played several epic C3C games so far and it seems that I'm frequently competing w/ the Aztecs and the Byzantines. (BTW, Aztecs always seem to fare better than Byzantium. Just an observation.)

If you want truly random, then put all the civ names on pieces of paper and draw them out. Those will be your opponents. Or use a Bingo ball scrambler, or some other randomizer.

Yeah, you'll know the civs before the game starts, but you're likely to know them soon enough anyway. Or you could have someone else put them in for you during the game setup.

Steven
          "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Im getting lots of American Civs as well with Random.

Comment

Me too, in fact.

Comment

I dont play much SP but I did laugh when the other 3 on a tiny were all the mesoamerica tribes.
                Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

at warlord, usually against only 3 or 4 other civs, i have never had a game without either the greeks or the egyptians (usually both). also extremely common for me have been the zulu and romans.

i wouldn't be surprised if there were sets of civs weighted for each difficulty level.

i also wouldn't be surprised if it was just the autistic rng in action.
                  it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

Anyone notice when you pick random Civs..90% of the time the Incas, Aztecs, Amercians, Iroquois, and Mayans are in your "Random" game?

No.

Comment

Re: Random Civs aren't so random. A bug?

Originally posted by Artifex
                      Anyone notice when you pick random Civs..90% of the time the Incas, Aztecs, Amercians, Iroquois, and Mayans are in your "Random" game.

Yes.

Comment

Come to think of it, I've noticed that too. This is not really conclusive, of course, but it's a starting point for further investigation.

Dominae
                        And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Working...
                        X