Installing Freeciv - very new to linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Freeciv - very new to linux

I just downloaded Redhat about 2days ago. I found out about freeciv a couple hours ago and havent been able to install it. I know there is a way to install it on Windows but I want to learn how to on Linux anything you could tell me about installing on Linux would be helpfull.

Download the rpm file, you shouldn't have problems to install it.
    just a quick rpm -i freciv... in the terminal or you can install it with the ui by clicking the icon in the file manager.

Comment

Did did this but it said I need to put in my Rehat cd. I never had a cd I installed it though FTP. I havent been able to update redhat because it comes up with an error when I try to registure my computer with redhat network, is this what is causing it to look for the redhat cd?

Comment

On the download page you will find the following lines...

Red Hat Linux: Luis Hernandez Freeciv 1.14.1 RH 8 i386 dir 4.98 MB
        Red Hat Linux: Luis Hernandez Freeciv 1.14.1 RH 8 i686 dir 4.97 MB
        Red Hat Linux: Luis Hernandez Freeciv 1.14.1 RH 8/9 (source) dir 6.75 MB
        Red Hat Linux: Luis Hernandez Freeciv 1.14.1 RH 9 i386 dir 4.98 MB
        Red Hat Linux: Luis Hernandez Freeciv 1.14.1 RH 9 i686 dir 4.98 MB
        Red Hat Linux: Luis Hernandez Freeciv 1.14.1 RH 9 athlon dir 4.96 MB

If i were you i would use the I386 version of redhat... Also rember that if you are missing the gtk client and the sound system you will need the cd's to install them.
        a small note is that if you do not have Redhat you will need to insall the proper files...

The requirements to install freeciv are simple, and all you need to do is look at the dependencies...

GTK on linux requieres the following...
        Xfree86 installed
        Gcc installed
        the sources listed in the following directory... ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.2/dependencies/

Personally, i reccomend updating the whole system when you upgrade...
        here is a small list of what i am using on my linux box...

Linux kernal 2.62
        Xfree86 4.3.0
        ALSA 1.02
        GPM 1.20.011
        Midnight Commander 4.6.0

Comment

Working...
        X