Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha Centauri: The Movie

Ok I'm bored ha.

What if there was a movie being made based on SMAC and SMAX?

Who would you have playing those roles? Here's my list and I know some of my selections suck. Celebrities are not my strong suit. If you don't know who those people I posted, let me know.

SMAC:
    Lady Deidre Skye of Gaia's Stepdaughters
    Kate Beckinsale

Sheng-ji Yang of the Human Hive
    Anthony Wang

Prokhar Zakharov of the University of Planet
    Brad Dourif

Nwabudike Morgan of Morgan Industries
    Avery Brooks

Col. Corazon Santiago of the Spartan Federation
    Monica Bellucci

Sister Miriam Godwinson of Lord's Believers
    Faye Dunaway

Commissioner Pravin Lal of the Peacekeeping Forces
    Ben Kingsley

SMAX:
    Cha Dawn of the Cult of Planet
    Sing Ngai

Aki Zeta-5 of Cybernetic Consciousness
    Milla Jovovich (possibly the worse selection )

Foreman Domai of the Free Drones
    Bruce Willis

Datatech Sinder Roze of the Data Angels
    Jada Pinkett Smith

Captain Ulrik Svensgaard of the Nautilus Pirates
    I'm torn between Russell Crowe and Ewan McGregor

The aliens, whatever. The guy who did Darth Vadar can do them both ha.

Anyway I'm curious as of your thoughts and suggestions. An excuse for me to avoid work and come back to this forum
    Who is Barinthus?

horrah for Brad Dourif. I think he'd made a good Zak, if he can pull off the Russian accent. Hmm... how about if it were a 12 hour epic like LotR? well, i suppose that's what every movie trilogy will apsire to be these days (or like the original Star Wars trilogy).
    I'm sure you've heard it before, but a AC roleplaying game (a computer game, I mean, not that pen&paper one) might have a story where the character gets sent through time into different sections of AC's history. Maybe the same could be true for an epic AC movie. the main character flips through time to save the planet from different threats. Like, say, in the first movie there could be an alliance between the Hive and Santiago, in the next, raging mind-worm boils (lead by a insane Gaian psychic) threaten both land, sea and air, and in the last, Progenitors arrive to stop humanity from Transcending.
    It's really Synthetic God... I guess I didn't notice my own typo.

Comment

Haha I like that Gaian psycho tidbit.

One other possible venue would be this being made into a tv show sort like Babylon 5. But with much better acting and casting I would hope!
      Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Lady Deidre Skye of Gaia's Stepdaughters
        Jennifer Connelly (but Kate Beckinsale would be good, too)

Sheng-ji Yang of the Human Hive
        B.D. Wong (from "Law & Order")

Prokhar Zakharov of the University of Planet
        Sean Connery (he did a good Russian in "Hunt for Red October")

Nwabudike Morgan of Morgan Industries
        Djimon Hounsou (casting against type)
        or Denzel (he's into not-altogether-nice-characters now)

Col. Corazon Santiago of the Spartan Federation
        Wanda De Jesus (from Clint Eastwood's "Bloodwork")
        or Jennifer Lopez (she was good in "Out of Sight")

Sister Miriam Godwinson of Lord's Believers
        Catherine Hicks (the Mom from "Seventh Heaven")

Commissioner Pravin Lal of the Peacekeeping Forces
        Tony Shalhoub (from "Wings" and "Monk")

SMAX:
        Cha Dawn of the Cult of Planet
        Lucy Lui (see Kill Bill just for her part)

Aki Zeta-5 of Cybernetic Consciousness
        Michelle Pfeiffer
        or Jeri Ryan (too obvious?)
        or Sigourney Weaver

Foreman Domai of the Free Drones
        Tom Hanks

Datatech Sinder Roze of the Data Angels
        Jada Pinkett Smith (excellent choice, DataAeolus )

Captain Ulrik Svensgaard of the Nautilus Pirates
        Stellan Skarsgaard ("Ronin", "Breaking the Waves")

Who's Brad Dourif?
        "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's? Pay no attention to Caesar. He doesn't have a clue what's really going on." -Cat's Cradle

Comment

Domi = Bruce Willas

Asolutly on the mark, the portrait of Domi is the spitting image of Bruce and he dose that gritty everyman character to the T.

Morgan is described as being very tall and I see him as more calculating then emotional which Brooks and Denzel are. So perhaps someone differnt their.

Most of the others sound good

James Earl Jones did the voice of DarthVader but I always imagined the Aliens as having higher pitched voices then that along with their odd resonace comunications tecnique (Dialouge is going to be anoying as they suposedly just repeat everything said to them)

Other sound good too, and dont forget we need a Captain Garland. Thats an easy one ofcorse

Patrick Stewart
          Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Morgan could be Morgan Freeman!! I mean.. c'mon!

Comment

First of all - an actual film based on SMAC/X is a very stupid idea. Even if it is a triology I doubt it would be done satisfactory. You just cannot make a film that will reflect depth of the game story and put in two hour or three hour format. Perhaps a Unity: Launch film would be an interesting idea - showing situation on Earth, giving more background information about faction leaders, assembly of the UNS Unity etc. - even maybe the Journey to Alpha Centauri incorporated. I would like to see pre-launch conflict between Zakharov and Miram or even Zakharov versus Diedre.

A miniseries would be a good realisation - unless the SMAC/X will become a boring franchize like Star Wars.
              Just think of it

less then a century in future, at our closest star, far, far away

evil American empire has assumed control of Earth and a handful of rebels called UN flees Earth to build a society on a distant planet, hoping that during time they will come back to kick some evil American empire ass and restore peace throught out the Sol. But they splinter and must first overcome their internal differences and unite under *********

episode one: mindworm menace
              episode two: attack of the Believers
              episode three: rise of the Progenitors
              episode four: new factions
              episode five: Hive strikes back
              episode six: return of the probe teams

etc.

if someone sees just one thing to say: [blearrghhh]

But there is a small chance that someone could actually do it (since LOTR was done masterfully contrary to my beliefs).

About actors

Patrick Stewart as Garland = make it so
              Morgan Freeman as Morgan (any name similarity is purely coincedential)
              Bruce Willis as Domi=hmmmm Hanks is better choice since he already played similar characters
              Monica Belluci or Jennifer Lopez as Santiago=
              Sean Connery as Zakharov= not perfect after some consideration
              Jeri Ryan as Aki=
              Jada Pinkett Smith as Rose =
              Russel Crowe as Svensgard=perfect
              Yang - hmm can`t think of any actors that could do him
              (except a few who are unfortunately members of the white race)
              Last edited by Illuminatus; January 16, 2004, 17:12.
              SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Morgan Freeman would be perfect.

Catherine Zeta-Jones could pass for Santiago... remember her in Zoro?
                "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's? Pay no attention to Caesar. He doesn't have a clue what's really going on." -Cat's Cradle

Comment

*grin*

Glad you guys liked some of my suggestions.

I did consider Jeri Ryan but figured that she may not be Scandinavian for the role of Aki Zeta-5 since Aki's supposed to be a Norwegian (if I recall correctly). I recently checked Ryan's biography on www.imdb.com, she was born in Germany - doh me.

Wanda de Jesus for Santiago -

Morgan Freeman'd be excellent, very adaptive. What about Samuel Jackson, I'm sure he can be very cold and calcuating?

Great ideas, guys! And I agree about movie. After a while, I figured miniseries would be better.
                  Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Who cares about the actors, I'd be more interested in the special effects.
                    Visit First Cultural Industries
                    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Funny, like probably everyone who plays Smacx I was thinking about, what if a movie based on it.

For me the more important parts were the script. which seven factions and the ending.

Could the audience, say ten/fifteen minutes from the end of the film and at an intermission, press for their preferred ending from a menu choice, that would allow solo, co-operative; conquer and transcend.

The makers would make these different endings, still based on the previous actions/ storylines.

The possibilities are enormous. Gaian fans could pack the audience for a Gaian transcend. Hiverians for a Yang Conquer.

Reminder: Must check the creative forum for past or current threads
                      On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Jackson wouldn't be a bad Morgan, if he has the right haircut.
                        I still vote for Brad Dourif as Zak, Connery is so wrong. btw, Brad Dourif was Grima Wormtounge in LotR, that scientist who tries to make out with the Alien in Resurrection, a psychic (channeling) convict on deathrow in an X-files episode (season 1), and the Betazoid serial killer in ST:Voy. He's been in other things, but I can't remember beyond that. He's a very passionate character actor who could easily play the slightly deranged, cold and calculating, and un-ethical Zakharov (and I'm sure he could pull off the accent). Trust me, he'd be excellent as Zak.
                        A TV series or mini-series would be cool... like the Dune thing.
                        Like a 15 episode series could focus on the different conflicts and time periods on Planet in chronological order.
                        Ooooh.. and the fans could vote on the last episode.

oh, if only it could be true... if only such a thing could come to pass. (I'll just built my device to propel me through alternate universes until I find that one)
                        It's really Synthetic God... I guess I didn't notice my own typo.

Comment

I'd rather hear it done as a radio series with the same voice actors as were hired to make the game. The sound effects are already done, too.
                          ... open Sound Recorder... cut'n'paste from various *.wav files...
                          I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

I have always thought that SMAC would make a great movie, even if there is alot to cover (besides, you don't have to show everything. Think about how long it took for the opening video to relate the story of the Unity launch and crash. It left alot of questions unanswered, but it worked out fine - you are still talking about the story, aren't you?)
                            Morgan Freeman as Nwabudike Morgan is simply wrong. I like Morgan Freeman alot but he just does not resemble Morgan in any way whatsoever except that he is black and named Morgan. Simply put, he's a nice guy. Morgan is not nice. I have always thought (it's been a long time :-) ) that among stars Samuel L. Jackson would be the best for the role.
                            I also thought Harrison Ford would make a great Zakharov (but not Connery - he just looks too suave. Zakharov is an introvert and has "mild social deficiency.") and Angelina Jolie for Santiago (I'm not so attached to that choice. She'd have to not make that stupid smile or quivering raised eyebrow for one.) All that is among stars of course. Really you would use mostly character actors, since not only will not all of these be major roles, but most of them don't fit the patterns that stars would like to play. Even in the case of a more significant part it might be wise to cast an unknown - particularly for Deirdre. Anyway I always fantasized about making a SMAC movie so I got a little carried away here....
                            Who exactly lives in the United Nations? If you are a hobo and you sleep in front of the U.N. building, does that count?

Comment

I said it once and I'll say it again.
                              Attached Files
                              Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                              Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                              *****Citizen of the Hive****
                              "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Working...
                              X