What other traits should we add?
    Keep the same idea and make more
    45.00%
    Change the idea of Civ Traits and make more
    30.00%
    BE GONE CIV TRAITS!
    25.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Tassadar500; January 3, 2004, 15:43.

I've got an idea. How about we add "Commercial" to that list.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

You forgot Commerical

EDIT: shoot, JW beat me to it

Comment

"You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

I would like the Traits to not be hardcoded. So instead of a "Commercial" trait you could simply assign different civs different bonuses, like commercial building bonuses, an extra road bonus, extra trade in the city center, etc. etc. This would allow a lot more differentiation of civs.

And I'd also like a lot more unit based differentiation (not UU's). Things like maybe the inca units travel along mountains as if they were grasslands. It still costs as much to climb a mountain or come down, but moving from one mountain to the next is just like grasslands.

And also it'd be cool if resources were somehow attached to civs. Like maybe there are like 3 times as many iron deposits in the game but only a one in 3 chance of finding them, and the chance is higher for certiain civs.

Or how about horses that tend to migrate towards a "horse-friendly" culture like the mongols. If there is a mongol city within 5 tiles of horses they'll move one tile every ten turns to get within their radius. Or maybe if you take care of them (irrigate their tile) they have a percentage chance of generating a second herd, and that chance is higher for the Mongols.

Comment

I'd prefer flexible civ traits that you can change depending on your situation. Hardcoded civ traits are just another roll of the dice, who's to know if they will be appropriate to your starting location?

Comment

Please. Don't start any threads with the { } brackets unless they're the official list threads... So that we can better organize things...

You can start as many threads as you want- but PLEASE don't put {The List} in front of them unless you're a category manager.

Thanks!
              -->Visit CGN!
              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                Please. Don't start any threads with the { } brackets unless they're the official list threads... So that we can better organize things...

You can start as many threads as you want- but PLEASE don't put {The List} in front of them unless you're a category manager.

Thanks!

Asmodean has not been here for quite a while. I'm not interested in waiting.

Comment

Civtraits are a great idea, and they add a special bit to every civ (otherwise you'd might as well just play Banana). Each game's strategy is slightly affected by them (and the UU), and they need to stay.

And also it'd be cool if resources were somehow attached to civs. Like maybe there are like 3 times as many iron deposits in the game but only a one in 3 chance of finding them, and the chance is higher for certiain civs.

Or how about horses that tend to migrate towards a "horse-friendly" culture like the mongols. If there is a mongol city within 5 tiles of horses they'll move one tile every ten turns to get within their radius. Or maybe if you take care of them (irrigate their tile) they have a percentage chance of generating a second herd, and that chance is higher for the Mongols.
                  The migration idea might not work out. Let's say, for example, Bananatopia is a coal-friendly civ. How the hell does coal migrate!?

Resource distribution is fine as it is. Just because Bananatopia can use coal for its UU, the Steam Banana, doesn't mean it gets more of them naturally.
                  meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Wellm if Bananatopia is coal-friendly, they should have better techniques to find coal (they get more coal), and then use it more efficently.
                    Vote Democrat
                    Support Democracy

Comment

The text for today is:

Civtraits are a great idea, and they add a special bit to every civ (otherwise you'd might as well just play Banana). Each game's strategy is slightly affected by them
                      That's putting it mildly. Obviously I haven't seen the source code, but I'll eat my hat if these traits aren't crucial to the AI's assignment of strategies to civs. So when you say "Put in more traits" you're actually asking them to put in more strategies. And there's the rub: sure you can put in more strategies, but how different can they be while still maintaining some sort of balanced gameplay? Basically, what I'm trying to say is that you probably don't need more traits.

How different is one civ from another at the moment? When you play and one of your neighbours has the traits 'ABC' while another has the traits 'XYZ', how much difference do you notice? Do you base any decisions on the fact that those guys have the traits 'ABC', so I know that they're like *whatever*? Hopefully, people do notice this; otherwise, as mrmitchell said, you'd might as well just play Banana.

Comment

I feel that they are working alright, and that they could be expanded upon a tad.
                        Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                        I am of the Horde.

Comment

The idea that certain nationalities are militaristic, commercial et cetera by nature is nothing but racism.

The Mongols should not be born nomadic raiders; their way of life should instead be formed by physical (geography, available resources and neighbours) and intellectual factors (the thoiughts of their leaders and thinkers).
                          The difference between industrial society and information society:
                          In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
                          In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Comment

Asmodean has not been here for quite a while. I'm not interested in waiting.
                            You can still START threads- just please don't start them with the { }'s because it's CONFUSING... and this isn't a CATEGORY thread, therefore, you could have started this thread at any time you wanted-
                            -->Visit CGN!
                            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

The idea that certain nationalities are militaristic, commercial et cetera by nature is nothing but racism.
                              It could be describe as racism but it is also is a reflection of a civilization cultural tendecies.

For example a a certain culture may be that their policy of invading neighbouring states has been a very successful way of expanding and therefore becames militristic. Also it isn't racist if you descibe the tendicies of an perticular goverment.

Besides such labels are compliments reconizing the real world historical achivements of those Civilizations.

I would be proud if a software devolper reconized my country, New Zealand as being commercial or scientific and agricultural

Comment

Working...
                              X