NFL: Manning & McNair win CO-MVP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL: Manning & McNair win CO-MVP

Peyton Manning and Steve McNair teamed up to win the NFL MVP award Friday.

Star quarterbacks Peyton Manning and Steve McNair reached the individual pinnacle of the NFL on Friday when they shared The Associated Press NFL Most Valuable Player award.

In just the third tie since the award began in 1957, the premier passers each received 16 votes from a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL.

Manning and McNair led their teams to 12-4 records, with Manning's Indianapolis Colts edging McNair's Tennessee Titans for the AFC South crown by winning both games against the Titans.

"This is such a tremendous honor," Manning said. "Obviously you look at all the former winners, it really is an honor to be on that same list, and to have such great teammates and a coaching staff that allowed me to go out and make plays.

"And to be sharing it with Steve, a player I have the most respect for and who has had a tremendous year ..."

Added McNair: "It is great, my words can't express how I feel being co-MVP with another great quarterback like Peyton. It's very emotional right now for me that people look at me as being one of the top quarterbacks of the NFL, one of the top players, and a co-MVP."

New England quarterback Tom Brady finished third with eight votes, followed by Baltimore running back Jamal Lewis, the AP Offensive Player of the Year, with five. Kansas City running back Priest Holmes got three votes, and Baltimore linebacker Ray Lewis, the AP Defensive Player of the Year, received two.

Unlike the seemingly indestructible Manning, who's never missed a start in his six pro seasons, McNair has played hurt for much of his career. This season, he missed the last month of practice with a strained right calf and sprained left ankle that also has a cracked bone spur. Those injuries also sidelined him for two games.

But the NFL has learned how tough the nine-year veteran is. And how dangerous he is, even though McNair no longer is the running threat he was early in his career. Now, he is a superb pocket passer, accurate and strong-armed. His 100.4 rating in 2003 edged Manning's 99.0 atop the league rankings.

McNair certainly is impressed by Manning's achievements, which include leading the league this season with 4,267 yards passing and topping the AFC with 29 TD passes. He has thrown 25 or more TD passes in each of the past six seasons -- the only player to accomplish the feat.

"It's just his knowledge of the game," McNair said. "When Peyton came in, there were very few guys who came in and started, and Peyton did a good job learning from his mistakes his first year. He came back and had a magnificent career, a student of the game, extra film work, learning the game mentally."

Manning and McNair make it three straight years a quarterback has been selected most valuable player. Oakland's Rich Gannon won last year and Kurt Warner was the 2001 MVP.

The other ties came in 1997 (Brett Favre and Barry Sanders) and in 1960 (Norm Van Brocklin and Joe Schmidt).

Other Colts chosen MVP were Gino Marchetti (1958); John Unitas (1964 and '67); Earl Morrall (1968); and Bert Jones (1976). No Titan has won the honor, But Oilers running back Earl Campbell won in 1979 when the franchise played in Houston.

NFL MVP voting
    Player Votes
    Peyton Manning 16
    Steve McNair 16
    Tom Brady 8
    Jamal Lewis 5
    Priest Holmes 3
    Ray Lewis 2

A TIE! But I wonder... did Jamal Lewis have to run for 3000 yards to get into the Top 3?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Manning shouldn't be there...
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Typical Peyton... he can never quite seem to win the big one, can he? Even when he wins, he loses.

Comment

Sava, Manning only has 4,267 yards and 29 TD passes... nope doesn't deserve to be there at all .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          Sava, Manning only has 4,267 yards and 29 TD passes... nope doesn't deserve to be there at all .
          statistical achievements aren't a prerequisite of the award... Manning should be a finalist for offensive player of the year... but he's maybe 6th or 7th in MVP...
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

statistical achievements aren't a prerequisite of the award...

It is definetly a major part of it. Value of a player does often depend on what the player does .

Comment

Let's talk about him getting his first playoff victory then well talk MVP. McNair should've gotten it himself. He singlehandedly will the Titans to win in most of their games.
              "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Let's talk about him getting his first playoff victory then well talk MVP.
                IIRC, the MVP is REGULAR SEASON award!

Comment

IIRC, the MVP is REGULAR SEASON award!
                  Which goes to show how screwed up the criteria is for picking MVP .

I can't believe they picked a wuss like Manning, because he throws lots of pretty TD's, over Brady or McNair who took their respective teams on their shoulders
                  "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Which goes to show how screwed up the criteria is for picking MVP

It's always been a regular season award in EVERY sport .

I can't believe they picked a wuss like Manning, because he throws lots of pretty TD's, over Brady or McNair who took their respective teams on their shoulders

Brady is severly overrated. I'm sure if that team had Bledsoe back it'd be just as good. Brady has an 85.9 passer rating compared to Manning (99.0) and McNair (100.4) who are significantly better. Hell Kitna had an 87.5!

Who did Manning have aside from Harrison? James wasn't that great this year. It was Manning throwing all the time. If you don't think he took his team on his shoulders this year, then you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Brady is severly overrated.
                      Yeah, ok One super bowl ring already, and played his ass off all year despite, unlike the Colts, having NO offensive weapons.

I'm sure if that team had Bledsoe back it'd be just as good. Brady has an 85.9 passer rating compared to Manning (99.0) and McNair (100.4) who are significantly better. Hell Kitna had an 87.5!
                      Explain to me exactly how some cryptic mathematical formula justifies the value of an individual player to his team and the league. Especially compared to Jamal Lewis, who set the single game record, and accounted for the bulk of his teams offense playing a more physical position. A QB's rating and stats is the worst rationale for determing a player's relative value, and this award just proved it to me.

Who did Manning have aside from Harrison? James wasn't that great this year.
                      James wasn't that bad either. Unlike the other QB candidates, he at least had a 1000+ yard rusher.

It was Manning throwing all the time. If you don't think he took his team on his shoulders this year, then you haven't been paying attention.
                      Pretty boys who throw pretty TDs do not an MVP make. McNair played hurt almost all year, had no running game and almost beat the Colts for the division title. Manning will crumple in the playoffs, as usual.

Comment

Yeah, ok One super bowl ring already, and played his ass off all year despite, unlike the Colts, having NO offensive weapons.

Look at his stats. And it's the same thing as it was with McNabb, Brady getting credit for his defense's amazing play.

Explain to me exactly how some cryptic mathematical formula justifies the value of an individual player to his team and the league.

So are you saying a player with bad stats can be the most valuable player? Please. Stats is one of the best ways to measure 'value'. After all, aren't yards and TDs valuable?

Unlike the other QB candidates, he at least had a 1000+ yard rusher.

And the 19th best rushing team. In the end they were 3rd in total offense. So yeah, he had to do it himself. And btw, Eddie George also had 1000+ yards.

Pretty boys who throw pretty TDs do not an MVP make.

I guess you'll be confiscating Montana, Elway, and Warner's MVP awards, eh?

I think McNair was the best, but saying Manning didn't deserve to be close is just stupidity.

Comment

Look at his stats. And it's the same thing as it was with McNabb.
                          Stats shmatz. Looking at what Brady did this year, with as little as he had to work with, he's far more deserving of MVP than Manning.

Brady getting credit for his defense's amazing play.
                          He was a first year QB in Super Bowl 2001. What do you expect? Dan Marino? As for the last two years, he's thrown for ~3700 yards each year. That's not chump change considering he has zero help on the offensive side of the ball.

So are you saying a player with bad stats can be the most valuable player?
                          Uh....no I was saying that stats and QB rating is probably the worst way to assess a potential MVP candidate, and this award proves it. If anything, Dungy deserves the credit for their resurgence, not Manning.

And the 19th best rushing team. In the end they were 3rd in total offense. So yeah, he had to do it himself. And btw, Eddie George also had 1000+ yards.
                          19th in rushing is not bad, still averaging 100+yards/game. Eddie George's just-over 1000 yd season, and only 5 tds, proves my point about reading into stats. He struggled all year, and the Titans got to the point where they were shuffling in Holcomb because of the ineffective ground game. The Colts had the better run game this year.

guess you'll be confiscating Montana, Elway, and Warner's MVP awards, eh?
                          You gotta be kidding me... Manning doesn't deserve to even sniff their jocks. All of those QBs were the absolute epitome of toughness and grace under fire, qualities that Manning is completely devoid of, as his, ahem, playoff record suggests.

Comment

Stats shmatz. Looking at what Brady did this year, with as little as he had to work with, he's far more deserving of MVP than Manning.

Bull. I'd give it to Trent Green before I'd let Brady even look at it.

As for the last two years, he's thrown for ~3700 yards each year. That's not chump change considering he has zero help on the offensive side of the ball.

He obviously has an offensive line. And Troy Brown may have been injured this year, but Branch stepped in and did well.

I was saying that stats and QB rating is probably the worst way to assess a potential MVP candidate

No, it is one of the better ways. A player with lights out stats deserves to be at least in consideration for the award. If not, then the award is a farce.

19th in rushing is not bad

Not bad? They are in the lower half of the league... and the team finished 3rd in total offense!

The Colts had the better run game this year.

Not by that much.

All of those QBs were the absolute epitome of toughness and grace under fire, qualities that Manning is completely devoid of, as his, ahem, playoff record suggests.

Toughness? Manning has yet to miss a SINGLE game. How do you like that for toughness?

As for playoff record, I never knew that Manning was in charge of the defense as well. I guess that means Marino couldn't sniff the jock of Warner? Elway before his Superbowl wins was a nobody? PLEASE!

Comment

Hmmm... that's why the award is handed out before the playoffs... Because the award has NOTHING TO DO WITH playoff records

I thought Manning looked pretty tough under fire when bringing his team back in the Tampa Bay game this year
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X