Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al-Qaeda Threatens to Nuke New York on February 2

Political Analysis, Espionage, Terrorism, Security

Italy’s Il Giornale reports from Washington: Al Qaeda publishes new threat to “annihilate New York” on February 2. Read more in box below Paper cites purported al Qaeda video clip threatening nuclear attack on city, claims FBI removed website carrying video clip. Authenticity of clip and web site has not been officially confirmed

31 December

The banner headline spread across the front page of Il Giornale, the respected Milan daily reads:

“Al Qaeda: We will destroy New York within 35 days. Threat on the Internet. Countdown begins.”

The threat was contained in a video clip featured on a web site associated with the fundamentalist terror group. It announced al Qaeda plans to destroy New York in a nuclear blast on February 2. Il Giornale claims the FBI blocked and removed the web site.

The video clip showed three possible scenarios: 1. A bomb or giant fireball from the skies that will cover the metropolis with a radioactive cloud. 2. A storm of radioactive clouds that will topple skyscrapers one by one, along with the Statue of Liberty and Brooklyn Bridge. 3. An explosion on board a charter aircraft that will cause a radioactive cloud to spread over the city.

The video clip was accompanied by large, red-lettered Arabic captions saying: “If God wills it, the end of America is near.”

DEBKAfile’s counter-terrorism sources say they cannot verify the authorship or gauge the seriousness of the threat because the Internet site is no longer accessible. But the report appeared in a newspaper widely viewed as the flagship of Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi. Such reports - even if not authenticated - tend to contribute to the mounting sense of alarm generated by “Orange Alert” in America and other Western countries.

It comes against the backdrop of appeals to New Year revelers to stay away from the traditional New Year’s Eve celebrations in Times Square, Rome’s St. Peter’s Square, Moscow’s Red Square and London’s Trafalgar Square – or even Disney World and the Las Vegas Strip. All these sites are surrounded by heavy security.

What a load of BS. The great citadel of New York shall never fall to infidel dogs!
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

This is obviously a scare tactic.
      "We are going to NUKE a MAJOR CITY on THIS DATE!!!!! But you are stupid AMERICAN INFIDELS and you wont even KNOW THIS! " -- Bin Laden
      "The American infidels have no knowledge of our nuclear plan. Their police are so fat they cannot even get up! Nobody can stop us!" - Al Qaeda Information Minister
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
        This is obviously a scare tactic.
        Air marshals on flight in US airspace. Orange alert. It's working!
        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Yes... total BS...

But, assuming they did... they would raise the battle to the next level... and something tells me the muslem world will end up suffering more in the long run. The world would probably not really care what our response was.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
            Yes... total BS...

But, assuming they did... they would raise the battle to the next level... and something tells me the muslem world will end up suffering more in the long run. The world would probably not really care what our response was.
            I'm pretty sure they would

Comment

Thank God they are stupid enough to post their intentions a month ahead..thus giving immense warning to those whose aim is to stop them.

Could they begin to follow this trend more often, you know, giving warning?

s for Ming's comment- no, the world would care very very much how the US reacted to the nuking of a city by a criminal non-state entity and whom the US would attack- for the most part, there would be no valid retaliatory targets, since just "nuking muslims" would put us in the very same category as the terrorists.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The point I'm making is that such an act would remove any possible support they have in the western world...
                Sure, a bunch of extremists would dance in the streets, but frankly, that would be it. The rest of the civilized world would be against them... and this would allow action by the United States that would never have been considered before. The war on terror would rise to new levels never seen before, because if they could nuke one city, NO COUNTRY would be safe.
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

As an American, I comfortably say that, we cannot be stopped. As a nation, we are sharp with both the rapier and the rapier wit, and are perfectly willing to use both. We own over 2,000,000 sets of kid gloves, and have been trained in the gentlemanly martial arts of fencing and Cambridge-style boxing. If any lesser people were to attempt to rise up against us, they would meet a most dreadful end.
                  http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

The point I'm making is that such an act would remove any possible support they have in the western world...
                    Sure, a bunch of extremists would dance in the streets, but frankly, that would be it. The rest of the civilized world would be against them... and this would allow action by the United States that would never have been considered before. The war on terror would rise to new levels never seen before, because if they could nuke one city, NO COUNTRY would be safe.
                    True, however if we just begin blazing into nations, we would QUICKLY lose support of the international community and if we truely were nuked, that would NOT be a good thing.

Comment

Excuse me, but what support does Al Qaeda ad islamic fundamentalist have in the Western world? And before you say "France and Germany and Russia", you are talking about one state thinking of banning reliious muslims from dressing as they want and another waging s brutal war against mainly muslim individuals in a southern province, so that don;t fly. Don't confuse Iraq with the war on terror.

Sorry, but the US would still have 0 legitimacy to attack anyone but Al Qaeda, unless it could prove direct collusion between a state entity and Al Qeada in caryring out that attack. You say measures we have never considered before-like? Use of WMD's? (such actions of course being war crimes..) Creation of concentration camps maybe death camps (crimes against humanity, war crimes..) what?

Sorry, but just like after 9/11, the amount of actual possible acts runs a lot shorter than the revenge fantasies people cook up.

Comment

Who really knows what actions would be taken... but something like a nuke strike on New York would outrage the world a thousand times more than 9/11 did. If people think muslems are targets now, it would only get far worse. Such a strike would only set their cause back a thousand years, and label every muslem and muslem country a potential threat.

Yeah, you look toward "legitmacy"... but you know what, in the real world that would not matter. Sad... but true. Such a strike would change the rules... and God help us all. If they want a holy war... they would get it, and they would be on the receiving end. Fair... no... but probably true. It would be a bad move on their part, because their people would suffer more before it was all over.
                        Keep on Civin'

Comment

Even Europeans couldn't be so idiotic as to oppose America seeking people who nuked it.

And if they did . . . it would confirm all the dark thoughts running through my little head.
                          Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

True, however most people of the world would be opposed to America using this to attack Syria or Iran or North Korea or whatnot.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Sunrise
                              Even Europeans couldn't be so idiotic as to oppose America seeking people who nuked it.
                              HELLO! Europe already supports the US's campaign against Al Qaeda- which is the people who attacked on 9/11 and in theory would nuke the city I LIVE IN.

And if they did . . . it would confirm all the dark thoughts running through my little head.
                              I will refrain from the harsh comment I was thinking of making/

Comment

Working...
                              X