Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Japanese culturaly isolated online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

at myspace there are absolutely no Japanese (as well as Friendster)

A lot of Malaysians though, which is odd

J

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion

Is there anyone from India here?
      I don't think there are any regular Off Topic posters from india, but I've seen a few pass through.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
        look at all the manga ****ers out there in the west

apart from those, they probably are, as are the French

I could do with some more French and Japanese if it meant a few less Finns
        Dude, there are many french people here. Spiffor, Richelieu, me, BK.....

Spec.
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I don't think there are any regular Off Topic posters from india, but I've seen a few pass through.
          There's a semi-regular OTer from India. I can't remember his name but I last saw him post in MarkG's thread about Microsoft removing a Swastika from one of its fonts.
          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

The Viceroy
            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Well you know things are bad when the Koreans mock the Japanese for having bad English. That probably hampers things a whole lot you don't have any where near as many people who can functionally communicate in English as a second language in Asia as in Europe
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I suspect the absence of posters from Japan might be due to the fact that Japan is a large country, and one of the most online-enabled to boot. Their own Internet community is sufficient to provide for all their needs- which is not the case of many other countries, whose surfers end up learning English and joining the Western/English part of the Internet.

I believe we see a similar trend with the Americans: there are very few American posters in non-English discussion boards throughout the web.
                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

perhaps. but could it be just the types of games they play?

japan likes console games. therefore, it makes sense that few would show up here. they also like linux. therefore, it makes sense that there are a lot of them on english-language discussion boards.

korea is also hugely web-enabled. they too tend to stick mostly to their own communities: netmarble, daum, naver, and so on; but since console games aren't as big there, you'll find more of them on boards where they discuss rts or mmorpgs. you won't find many here, either: msot of those in korea posting are americans overseas; i myself am a korean-american. i don't know of a korean korean who posts.
                  B♭3

Comment

This is hardly a good sample for rest of the internet.

Q cubed: I cant name one native japanese/korean Civ gamer. So you may be right. I can name plenty console/arcade korean japanese gamers. But I see disporportionate amount of korean players on english board for games like soulcalibur etc (like 10-12 koreans compared to like 2-3 japanese per forum)...

well then again, those koreans who post also arent that active (aside from introducing americans how koreans play and etc... they dont speak much)
                    :-p

Comment

This thread made me switch to the MoO3 colorset. Groovy, dudes.
                      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

which is not the case of many other countries, whose surfers end up learning English and joining the Western/English part of the Internet.
                        ottok?

Comment

We don't have many North Koreans, either...

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
                            We don't have many North Koreans, either...
                            All you capitalists insulting the Dear Leader just BREAKS MY HEART!!!!!

But don't worry. Our nation has faced far worse than you.
                            In fact, continue your insolence and we will launch more satellites.
                            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

There is at least one Japanese person floating around the Civ3 forums and in the demo games. Good guy, knows his stuff. Haven't seen him for a bit though.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
                                This thread made me switch to the MoO3 colorset. Groovy, dudes.
                                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X