Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Japanese culturaly isolated online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrmitchell
    The Viceroy
    He's British living in India, I believe.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld

He's British living in India, I believe.
      Is he?
      That would explain many things.
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
        This thread made me switch to the MoO3 colorset. Groovy, dudes.
        Hah! Another convert.
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Yeah, more japanese would be nice. Indians would be ok too, but what this place really needs are pakis
          Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
            I suspect the absence of posters from Japan might be due to the fact that Japan is a large country, and one of the most online-enabled to boot. Their own Internet community is sufficient to provide for all their needs- which is not the case of many other countries, whose surfers end up learning English and joining the Western/English part of the Internet.

I believe we see a similar trend with the Americans: there are very few American posters in non-English discussion boards throughout the web.

Yup. I keep thinking i should go to french boards to polish my french, but never do.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I should finnish my polish. x)

Anyone here speak japanese? Compared to other foreign (to non-native speaker) lanquages, is it hard to learn?
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

mrmitchel, osweld - i think the viceroy is an englishman, living in england, married to an indian bird
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

--"Well you know things are bad when the Koreans mock the Japanese for having bad English."

Heh. I haven't seen that, but it does bring up a point about face. The ones that do post on English forums are going to be the ones pretty confident in their English knowledge.

We don't have many Chinese posters around either, do we?

--"Anyone here speak japanese? Compared to other foreign (to non-native speaker) lanquages, is it hard to learn?"

I speak a little. It's actually fairly straightforward compared to most other languages I'm at all familiar with (overall it's simpler than French or Spanish, except as far as the subtleties of politeness levels go). The big problem comes when you're trying to read and write it, which is very difficult, and why there probably aren't many non-Japanese posting on Japanese language forums.

Wraith
                  USER ERROR: replace user and press any key to continue.

Comment

Herro
                    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                      Yup. I keep thinking i should go to french boards to polish my french, but never do.
                      Not that I want to patronize you, but it would be a very nice thing to do. It's the Internet that taught me English from the beginning.
                      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

You'll move on to fundamental ability to reason next, right?
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

The Japanese are not culturally isolated. Just go play Gunbound and they're all over it.

JIMBO STRONG!

Comment

I was listening to an online friend talk about the way Japanese play Tribes2. From what I gathered from that discourse, they have very different ways of doing things online.

Comment

Well you know things are bad when the Koreans mock the Japanese for having bad English.

I wouldn't believe everything that the Koreans tell you, especially when the subject is Japan...
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                                You'll move on to fundamental ability to reason next, right?
                                I don't need no Poly for this
                                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Working...
                                X