Flak units, how do they function?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flak units, how do they function?

Ok, I had thought I used a flak unit to shot down a bomber the week I got C3C. Now I am not so sure. I had 4 in a town that had 8-10 bombers hit it every turn and they did nothing. I tried putting some on sentry for enemies and some on fort.

Is there something I need to know or was it just an rng issue?

No idea. I haven't had a chance to see them used vs. enemy aircraft. They do well at scratching their tanks though. :P

Comment

An rng issue, I guess.
      Based on tests I have done, 4 flaks in a town should be able to shoot down about 1 bomber in every 3.

Comment

I've seen the AA on ships in the WW2 Conquest.

I think the AA value makes a roll against the aircraft's defense value. If it makes the roll, the plane dies. I've never seen one lose HP's, just die.

Comment

SO I did see it in that first game. OK I will keep my eye on it.

Comment

dutch flak is a constant nuisance in my mayan game.
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I'm really not sure about flak units. I've been playing the WWII Pacific Conquest. I played 47 turns as China (won on emperor) with lots of Japanese bombing of cities with flak units in them (fortified, sentry, not doing anything - I tried them all) and never shot down one attacking plane.

I just started again as the US and the battleships in Pearl Harbor shot down 3 of the attacking Japanese planes on the first turn.

I did play as Japan (monarch - won on turn 14!) and I am sure I lost some planes to flak.

Damned RNG! - or maybe flak only works for the AI.
              Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

I've seen AI v AI Flak shoots-down bombers. I've never been bombed by AI or I have Fighters defending.

In the later game it seems that the Governors sure do like to build Flak or Mobile SAMs. I can't tell you how many times I've had to change MS to MA. Don't they (governors) understand that wars ar fought on the ground?!

Steven
                "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Our tests have shown that 1 flak, 2 flaks, or 5 flaks in the same tile makes big difference in firepower. However, more than 5 flaks don't improve the odd of shooting down bombers significantly.

Comment

Does it look like each flak gets to make a roll? That would explain why after several flaks, more aren't too useful.

Comment

I've only used flak once, but the AI did not use many aircraft. They took a free shot at attacking ground units though, IIRC. Would SAM work the same way?
                      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

SAM is a structure and cannot do that. Flak doesn't have ZoC or bombardment, so I doubt it took a free shot. It does have attack of 1 and defense of 6, so it can attack or defend.

Comment

My experience with flak/sam units is to use them in number. I've had one flak shoot down one bomber out of six. But have gotten better results with more than 2 AA units in a heavily bombed city. Same goes for cruisers. The more you have in a stack the better.
                          signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Working...
                          X