Is this game really good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this game really good?

I just recently found out about this game reading an article on GameSpy. The game seems to be up-my-alley, as I am an avid CIV III freak.

I tried Alpha Centauri last month and didn't like it. I think CIV III's graphics and player-interface spoiled me.

So, will I like GalCiv? If so, why? If not, why?

Thanks!

I have all 3 games and like them all for the most part. I started off with smac\x when it came out a few years back and it was my first TBS style gaming experience. I still play it off and on, but not as much as I use to due to trying to get a life.

I bought Civ3 and PTW for 19.99 together last spring and play it some modded still. I'm not crazy about the randomness of the combat system and some of the lack of things that I liked in Smac....design work shop...Social Engineering...Planetary Council and Diplomacy. More permanent alliances and gifting units and moving in same squares and bases with allies was pretty cool. Upside of Civ3 is the AI plays much better on harder levels compared to Smac.

Galciv is also a nice game...although I've updated to the latest version and still haven't successfully been able to upload game scores to the metaverse. It says everything went thru ok, but when I check nothing there....I guess there's always hope.

I think my main concern for you would be that you didn't like Smac, and Galciv also uses older graghics and sprites so this might be a let down for you. Much of the work was done on the AI, which is very competitive at the higher levels. Also bigger galaxies get a bit tedious and then playing them out and not being able to submit to metaverse might be a bit discouraging....I know I was a bit disappointed. The lack of some features like a zoom in and out can make it tough at times to tell whats going on during and between turns since the action picks up after early game.

Neways....since no one else has answered hope this is some help.

Comment

Galciv is a good game. Ypu will probably find the graphics poor, but the ai, the diplomacy aspects, the different queues for social and military builds, trade goods are great. Overall, from a diplomatic, trade and ai point of view, galciv is way better than civIII. Galciv also sports random events and morality events which spice the game up.
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by stuntman19
          Galciv is also a nice game...although I've updated to the latest version and still haven't successfully been able to upload game scores to the metaverse. It says everything went thru ok, but when I check nothing there....I guess there's always hope.
          I know I had a similar problem when I first tried Galciv, but I figured out eventually that I hadn't properly registered my Metaverse account - Apparently a www.galciv.com account just isn't the same.

I don't know if this isn't your problem, or if you've fixed it already, but you can register at This Link Here.
          Wojit - He likes rice

Comment

Thx Wojit....that seems to be what the problem was. I played a tiny\easy game after registering my account officially and it was recorded. I guess I assumed the Galciv account was one in the same. Now I can invest more time in a longer game and get a decent score submitted.

Thx again.

Comment

I had great expectations as for GalCiv and when it got out i bought it for $40. I was dissappointed. For me this game is too shallow, and frequent "morality choices" repeating themselves on various worlds quickly started to be boring. I liked MOO and somewhat MOO2, which already showed signs of descent to c.....ness. MOO3 shocked me with the speed and magnitude of such fall. Other games like new "Reach for the Stars" also big dissapointment. After so many years as for space strategy turn based game i like the most Star Trek BOTF. You might know it - it's lacking in many aspects, but at least graphics is good and background story is already known from TV series. Even Star Wars: Rebellion left better impression, also only due to the fact that background story is so well known, and all those characters travelling around the galaxy and completing missions.

Still waiting for great hit - how many years more???
              Mart
              Map creation contest
              WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Originally posted by mart7x5
                I had great expectations as for GalCiv and when it got out i bought it for $40. I was dissappointed. For me this game is too shallow, and frequent "morality choices" repeating themselves on various worlds quickly started to be boring. I liked MOO and somewhat MOO2, which already showed signs of descent to c.....ness. MOO3 shocked me with the speed and magnitude of such fall. Other games like new "Reach for the Stars" also big dissapointment. After so many years as for space strategy turn based game i like the most Star Trek BOTF. You might know it - it's lacking in many aspects, but at least graphics is good and background story is already known from TV series. Even Star Wars: Rebellion left better impression, also only due to the fact that background story is so well known, and all those characters travelling around the galaxy and completing missions.

Still waiting for great hit - how many years more???
                I pretty much agree with you here although I liked SW Rebellion more than BOTF. Personal preference though, nothing to do with gameplay issues.

GalCiv isn't bad, it certainly blows away MOO3. But OTOH it does get kind of repetitive towards the end game.
                signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Working...
                X