Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DEBUG: Attacking Units/Cities on Mountains with Units that cant move on/attack Mnts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEBUG: Attacking Units/Cities on Mountains with Units that cant move on/attack Mnts?

So basically,

1. When a 12 Cavalry stack attacks a mountain city and they win, they wait outside and dont capture the city, just kill the enemy units inside.

2. When 6 Cavs and 6 Infanrymen attack a mountain city and win, all the stack moves inside, then the Cavalry die and the Infantryman capture it. (if theres any remaining from the battle).

3. When 12 Cavalry attack 6 Infantrymen on a mountain in the open and the Cavs win the Cavs dont move onto the mountain BUT they keep all their MOVE points but they cant ATTACK again in that turn.

Maybe Cavalry shouldnt even be able to actually attack the mountain city to begin with.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

As far as I know the only problem with this is if you attack a size 1 city in the mountain and not all of your units can move in mountains so the units that can't go into the mountains die. If the city is bigger size 1 no problem no unit has to die, because the city is not destroyed on the attack. Maybe a warning for the player would be good.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

But if the city in on a mountain then the mountain still exists there, so surely you cant use non-mountain units for such an attack? Youd be a sitting duck climbing the side of the mountain with horses in a line.
      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)

Comment

Or tanks for that matter. I'm not a big realism fan, but this does seem a bit out.

BTW, nice Christmas avatar Maq .

Comment

Without raods or something else your tanks would never reach mountain cities. As mountain cities have roads tanks can reach them, well the attack abilities of such units are very limited as they have to follow a certain way.

-Martin

Comment

Well im all for gameplay if its a choice between small realism and better gameplay, but when Cavalry attacks units on a mountain and wins then doesnt occupy the tile afterwards, its just weird.

So what are we saying? Tanks, Cavs, whatever can only move over mountains with roads on, and they can ONLY attack units/cities with roads underneath? (obviousy all cities have roads underneath but you get my point).

Thanks Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora
              Well im all for gameplay if its a choice between small realism and better gameplay, but when Cavalry attacks units on a mountain and wins then doesnt occupy the tile afterwards, its just weird.
              So you mean Calvary attacks units on a mountain without a city and without roads and wins but doesn't occupy the tile afterwards. Well in this case Calvary shouldn't be allowed to attack the square that they can't occupy afterwards.

-Martin

Comment

Well in this case Calvary shouldn't be allowed to attack the square that they can't occupy afterwards.
                Yep thats what we want, SNIP

edit: forget i said that

Comment

I was wondering if the underlying road should be destroyed when the city is destroyed...

Comment

Originally posted by MrBaggins
                    I was wondering if the underlying road should be destroyed when the city is destroyed...
                    I had the same thought. Leave a road when a city is destroyed. Will it LOOK odd?
                    "Kill a man and you are a murder.
                    Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
                    Kill all and you are a God!"
                    -Jean Rostand

Comment

And i always thought it was because of the stress of the battle

well i guess its sorted although i'd like to ponder that maybe if a road is provided then units like cavelry/tanks etc should be able to attack up them? and if a city is destroyed then why not leave the roads(and the ability to travel on them for those units that need them in mountains) there untill someone pillages and removes them as a tactical concern?(if the no city pillage bug is fixed of course))
                      'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

well i guess its sorted although i'd like to add that maybe if a road is provided then units like cavelry/tanks etc should be able to attack up them?
                        They already can move over mountains if there is a road there.

Comment

ah yes they can cant they......opps! cough. well good
                          'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Comment

You see this is why we need a proper manual *hint HINT*

Comment

Ah yes but until these things are either definately IN or OUT of the game - what can we do?
                              [shrugs shoulders in an attempt to appear non-responsible]
                              Oh i have actualy done some stuff like a few pages, and was feeling guilty enough to start on one of the 'walk through' guides for complete newbies(or ex Civ gamers).
                              I feel a bit more guilty now

umm armies that have cavelry units in them and no roads to attack down should not be allowed to attack.....

Comment

Working...
                              X