I don't think parents should lie about Santa Claus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think parents should lie about Santa Claus

Sometimes I think kids lose respect for their parents when they figure out their parents lied to them. I don't think parents should ever lie to their children. Even about Santa Claus. I'm not going to say Santa Claus is the cause of all of America's problems (it was very difficult resisting making that my thread title ), but I don't think Santa Claus is healthy for children.

Discuss.

Kids lose respect for their parents whether they lie to them or not. Meanwhile, I'll just carry on injecting a little magic and fantasy into my daughter's life before grim reality eventually takes its toll.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

my grandfather plays santaclaus every year at christmastime... i remember 'santa' knocking at my window one christmas eve, before i figured things out... and yet somehow i've still maintained my wonderment of magic in the world..
      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

When I was about 14 some younger neighbor kids asked me if Santa existed and I told them no, that was a mistake. Their mother came to my house very angry with me... I should have told them to go ask their parents... I didn't lose any respect for my folks when I learned the truth, when you're old enough to learn such truths you're also old enough to see the motive behind such "lies"...

Comment

Hell, the Santa myth gives kids two important lessons in life - the first when they realize that Santa doesn't exist and the second when they realize they'll still get gifts even if they stop pretending they believe Santa exists.
          "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
          "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

I agree with Dissident. I don' see why the Santa thing (well, the Three Magic Kings in Spain, but it's the same)... In fact, the Santa is the only example that I know of a wide-spread, total conspiration...
            Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Conspiracy?

It's Santa Claus, not Carlos the Jackal you strange man.
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Ok, after checking in "dictionary.com" I've learned that you the English people always link Conspirancy with evil or illegal actions... In Spanish we don't do that, so I get confussed

My point is that I've not seen a group of people that agrees on to lie and hide the truth in such a wide-spread scale.
                Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

We should stop telling fairy tales to children. These are just big lies. Let´s tell them that is all Bush´s fault instead
                  Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                    We should stop telling fairy tales to children. These are just big lies. Let´s tell them that is all Bush´s fault instead
                    I agree.

Kids lose respect for their parents whether they lie to them or not.
                    How true.

Well, it's not that bad that kids believe in Santa Claus. It's worse when they believe in the Easter Bunny, especially when they believe that the eggs were laid by the bunny.
                    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I'm thinking the anti-Santa people don't have kids.

Comment

Ive never lost respect for my parents, I managed to fool them into thinking I still believed in santa until I was about 13 and my sister blurted out the truth to my mom while she was talking about christmas.

Comment

I'll teach my kids the truth. That Santa is a child molester.
                          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

i never lie to my kids... ive always believed if they are old enough to ask they are old enough to know the answer without any bullxxxx attached. my daughter still loves christmas and we pretend as always.
                            we put out cookies and milk and carrots for the reindeer.
                            i put gifts out from santa... she just looks at me and grins ...like its our big secret... that im santa. =D
                            "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." -Katherine Hepburn

Comment

Sorry, Boann, but I'm a little confused here. If you didn't ever lie to your kids re: Santa Claus, then how did the tradition even begin in your household?

Comment

Working...
                              X