Project - Apolyton game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project - Apolyton game

Anyone's up to make a computer version of one of the game we've played in this forum...

I was thinking about Nuclear War (The one we've played here, or maybe the game that was created a long time ago)
    And I'm not talking about making them SP, but MP, with a Server, which runs 24 hours a day, taking in orders and such (I have a server, which can be used for this)
    Which game will be chosen later (along with the rules)

I only know Java (And the basic in Visual Basic), so the game has to be written in this language I guess

Anyone interested in helping out? I wont do it by myself!
    This space is empty... or is it?

I'll help, BUT...

When I'm finished on the 'poly dungeon
    I only know C++, but I can make the graphics if you like.

Nuclear War is a good choice though.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Graphics would be nice, though I've never programmed with graphics yet (Never even tried programming a game), so I don't know how easy/hard it'll be to implement an autoupdate of the map...

I've never tried C++ before, but for Christmas I wished for a C# book, so I can start learning this...
      doubt I'll get it though
      During the hollydays I'll be getting a VB .net book (after Christmas we start on VB .net)

Comment

cool I dont know diddly squat about anything really, but if theres anything I can do to help just ask.

Comment

Its easy enough to have the map as a fixed object and just call city and nuke graphics as overlays to the right coordinates, isn't it? Showing borders and so on could be hard. Have each area the same shape and make the overlays come with a coloured background that fills that area? Different colours for different players obviously.

-Jam
          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

As I said: I've never worked with graphics before, but I assume it'll be diffecult to get the computer to make new cities at random places on the map, without accidently making water cities

Nobody else interested... and knows Java?

Comment

Well, then let's not use water, just a grid of land squares.

-Jam

Comment

I know Java....but i can't say i'm interested untill i know what this Nuclear War game is
                <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

In short:

Each player can issue one order each round, which is sending two nukes (to one or two oponents), build a city, deflect 50% of incoming nukes or hide in bunker (only avaliable once)
                  The last player with cities not nuked wins...

Check out the other Nuclear War threads

I was hoping on making the more advanced version (The old Nuke War for Amiga), but I believe most Apolytoner's wants the thread version...

Comment

I know Java. I've programmed some utilities for Civ2 in Java and I'm willing to help in any Java-related project
                    Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

I know some html and some css. not much of use is it.
                      I will be starting taking courses in vb.net in january and later I will be starting Java (I already do know how to write "hello world" on the screen though )

But I'll gladly help out.
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

From the Apolyton vB help page : http://www.apolyton.com/forums/misc....&action=bbcode

The Code and PHP Tags

If you want to post some programming source code, or perhaps some ASCII art, which would require a non-proportional font, you can use the [code] tag to achieve this. For example:

Code:
                            < script language="Javascript">
                            < !--
                            alert ("Hello world!");
                            // -->
                            < /script>
                        Is that what you meant Alva? (filled with random spaces so it won't work.

-Jam

Comment

i could do a layout... basic graphic manipulation, that sort of thing. i might be able to whip up an interface...
                          I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                          [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Not sure what you mean with 'Basic graphic manipulation'

Do you mean something like a Graphical User Interface (GUI)?

Let's see who we got:

Java:
                            Me
                            Yaroslav

Graphics:
                            Jamski

Misc:
                            Alva

How about you Lemmy... are you interested?

Comment

I also want to say that there's a minor chance of me getting a job in another city... If I get it, I'll leave Apoly for 2 or 3 month, until I earn enough to build a new computer (the one I'm using is of all my family and I shouldn't take away). I'll inform you in that case.
                              Last edited by yaroslav; December 19, 2003, 07:40.
                              Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Working...
                              X