Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
    VB sucks compared to Java.
    I have only found one feature in java that's better than what's avaliable in VB... and that's RMI

Anyway, the forum game version is definitely easier to write, because in the real Nuclear War game, you got things like anti-missiles and retaliatory strikes. You also have things like propaganda.

Anti-missiles? Retaliatory strikes?

In the game I played, the only difference is, there's a little more random-ness in the game, and a few more options (Like different nukes with different firepower... and planes, which is basicly nukes)

Looks like you can do the thing in PHP with some JavaScript and HTML in a couple of hours.
    Probably... if you know PHP, JavaScript and HTML... then yeah...
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
      I have only found one feature in java that's better than what's avaliable in VB... and that's RMI
      You can't run VB on a server, you can't write programs that are cross platform, you can't write applets, VB is not OO, security of VB is seriously lacking, VB is slow. You want me to go on?

Originally posted by ADG
      Anti-missiles? Retaliatory strikes?

In the game I played, the only difference is, there's a little more random-ness in the game, and a few more options (Like different nukes with different firepower... and planes, which is basicly nukes)
      Okay, I was talking about the real card game. But you have propaganda, yes?

Originally posted by ADG
      Probably... if you know PHP, JavaScript and HTML... then yeah...
      My point is it's not hard.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

you can't write programs that are cross platform
        VB.NET runs on any platform the .NET CLR runs on, which includes but is not limited to Windows, MacOS X, BSD, and Linux.

Wiseguy.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

And RMI is evil.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Hmm Asher, first of all, I respect your input, your knowledge on anything PC related is obviously vast and anything you say might affect my opinion on related matters.
            Similary I very much enjoy and value UR's opinion and beeing able to hear from the both of you, two usually completely opposite views, is indeed a great bonus.

Having said that, do we really have to witness your 'thing' with UR in every thread, I don't really mind it in the OT but please, keep it there.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

VB is indeed not OO, and slow, but java is not very fast when you start doing user interfaces. And, RMI is a catastrophically bloated slow thing. Just about every other feature makes me prefer java to VB. Exception/error handling is much better for instance in java than in VB (noting that various versions of VB don't handle errors the same way).
              Clash of Civilization team member
              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                Hmm Asher, first of all, I respect your input, your knowledge on anything PC related is obviously vast and anything you say might affect my opinion on related matters.
                Similary I very much enjoy and value UR's opinion and beeing able to hear from the both of you, two usually completely opposite views, is indeed a great bonus.

Having said that, do we really have to witness your 'thing' with UR in every thread, I don't really mind it in the OT but please, keep it there.
                The forces of misinformation are no match for me. I will hunt down his lies, big and small, NEAR AND FAR, to ensure nothing but the truth is out there...

Comment

Ok, should we stop the "I prefer this language, and hate that language" talk. Create a new thread if you want to talk about this.

...unless you're interested in joining the project, I'm not interested in hearing about this here...
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Ok, I've been reading the Nuclear Wars threads... and I don't mind about what version we should implement, because I'm not sure what is funnier.

I think that the first thing to do, after choosing version, is to do a desing with all the classes to implement, who is going to implement them, what are them to do and the interfaces between different's guys work.
                    Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Originally posted by yaroslav
                      I think that the first thing to do, after choosing version, is to do a desing with all the classes to implement, who is going to implement them, what are them to do and the interfaces between different's guys work.

Though it seems the rules for the forum version of Nuclear Wars is quite cut and dry.
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                        The forces of misinformation are no match for me.
                        /me imagines Asher chases after himself, spinning in circles until falling down.

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
                          VB is indeed not OO, and slow, but java is not very fast when you start doing user interfaces.
                          That's why you have RAD environments based on Java.

Comment

In a desperate attempt to salvage this thread, I'll try to return it back on-topic.

ADG,

I like your idea, although I'm afraid there is too little detail about the game right now to start even thinking about the class structure as yaroslav suggested.

First of all, I think you need a clear vision of what the game is going to be and how it's going to be played. So far in this thread, the only information along those lines comes from your first post:

And I'm not talking about making them SP, but MP, with a Server, which runs 24 hours a day, taking in orders and such.

I am not sure I see exactly how you envision this game going. Like this:

The player fires up the game, connects to the server, starts a game with some other players in the lobby, and then they duke it out.

?

Or like this:

The player connects to the server, chooses one of the game he's started earlier with his friends, looks at the status of the game, sends orders, and disconnects untill the next time he wants to check on what others are doing.

?

So, in other words, do you want this to be a real-time MP game (well, real-time is bad wording. Of course, it would be turn-based. But by real-time I mean, the game is started and finished without a break in between), or more like the forum game, with breaks in between and such, sort of more like PBEM, except with no e-mail involved? As you can see, these two would be very different games, even though they may have the same premise.

Finally, I would be glad to help you, whichever programming language you choose. Although I recommend Java, because I figure it would be crucial for ADG to be an active member in the development, and thus if he can check up on the progress of the code, or even better - contribute to it, that would be a big +.

So, like I said, I'd be glad to help you out with this. I'm not sure about the coding part, as I will be doing TONS of that the next semester, because I'm taking three CS classes, and so I will probably be sick of seeing code. But advice, for what it's worth, and maybe some graphics (I am a programmer blessed with an artistic inclination slightly below that of a normal person, as opposed to utterly miniscule, as that of any self-respecting coder. ) are something I would gladly offer.
                            XBox Live: VovanSim
                            xbox.com (login required)
                            Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                            Spore page

Comment

You can use Java on the front end, it just looks like an overkill.

On the backend, you need to pay $$$ for J2EE if you want to use JSP.

Comment

this is interesting

Comment

Working...
                                X