X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok...
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Is that what you meant Alva? (filled with random spaces so it won't work.

OEh nononooo, I can do it in proper Java and all.Compiling and whatnot.
      I don't really mention it on my resume though.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I'll be glad to hang around an make annoying comments about everyone else's work. Every good project needs that type of person you know.
        We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
          Its easy enough to have the map as a fixed object and just call city and nuke graphics as overlays to the right coordinates, isn't it? Showing borders and so on could be hard. Have each area the same shape and make the overlays come with a coloured background that fills that area? Different colours for different players obviously.

-Jam
          Initially, you don't need graphics, just text output is fine. You don't need to have a server up 24 hours a day, either. You just need a program that runs batch once a day, and have some way of entering simple commands. A Web interface should be ideal.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Code:
            [fakecode]
            #Orderscript
            ShowText"Press 1 to nuke, 2 to hide in bunker, 3 to deflect nukes, 4 to stockipe nukes";
            ListenKeyPress"Orders"; Get"Orders"(int);
            If"Orders">4,Get"Orders"; If"Orders"<1,Get"Orders";
            If"Orders"==1,RunNukescript; If"Orders"==2,RunBunkerscript; If"Orders"==3,RunDeflectscript; If"Orders"==4,RunStockpilescript;
            [/fakecode]
            Complete rubbish code, but something on those lines of simplicty would do the job.

-Jam
            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I know exactly nothing about such things... hell, I don't even know how to add java.class files to work on some html site, we've only learned how to make the apps, pack them in some .jar file, to make them execute-able (As it was some .exe file)

But in the beginning I was just thinking along the line of just having everything text-based (Not "Press 2 to nuke someone"), where the players chose which player they want to attack, from a combobox, and then chose the city from a list box or something like that... not having a map works fine for a game like this...

If someone knows anything about making a connection in VB 6 or VB .NET I could switch to this instead (Much easier to work on a GUI from there
              Last edited by Adagio; December 19, 2003, 11:07.

Comment

Hmm, i'll pass for this project...don't really have the time for it.
                <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

ummm i designed the layout of my blog. so yeah. GUI. thingie.
                  I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                  [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

@ADG:

I don't know too much about VB... but designing a GUI in Java is very easy, specially if you some envoirement like Sun One Studio (the former versions were free, this has a 60-days trial period). I'm for Java, but, hey, I like Java, so I'm biased. And we can use an Applet, that is integrated in HTML easily.
                    Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

I've never used Sun One Studio, but I'm using jBuilder whenever I have to make a GUI, but it's still 100x easier to make a gui in VB

In school we haven't spent much time making Applets, I've forgotten all about them, but as long it'n not me who's going to make the GUI's, then I don't mind using whatever you say should be used

When should we start the project? Should we wait for more people to help, or should we just begin?
                      I've never been working on a project online before. I've only worked on projects were all on the team works in the same room... does any of you have any experience in this (That's online-project I mean)?

Comment

Just start, we'll see where we end-up I guess.
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

Ok

The first thing we need to figure out is which of these Nuclear War games we should make:

1) - The Amiga version

Each player has 5 cities, with a random amount of citizens (Average about 30). Each round the player can issue an order (e.g. launch a nuke, attack with bomber, protect cities, propaganda (takes some citizens from target city, and adds to your city) or build weapons/defense (For later use)

2) - The forum game version

Each player gets 3 cities, but can build more cities, fire two nukes each round... etc etc etc... read the forum games for more info

The first one has more randomness in it: e.g. the propaganda order takes a "random" number of citizens from target city. The number should be based on things like: How many times have you attacked target country/city, how many times have you used propaganda on target country/city, etc...There's a chance of failure

I defently prefer to revive the Amiga version... I spent countless of hours playing this game (And looking at an old thread about this game, it seems like other posters likes this game as well)... This version is pretty diffecult to set up as a forum game, but would be "easy enough" to set up as a computer game I guess

Comment

Maybe do the easier one as a leaning process?

Comment

I don't think one of them is easier to program than the other one...

The only part there's a noticeable difference is in game one you can't build cities, so the map would be easy to make (Compared to game two)

Comment

VB sucks compared to Java.

Anyway, the forum game version is definitely easier to write, because in the real Nuclear War game, you got things like anti-missiles and retaliatory strikes. You also have things like propaganda.

Looks like you can do the thing in PHP with some JavaScript and HTML in a couple of hours.
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X