X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCENARIO: "World War II - 1941 AD" for C3C on the complete world map

And another historical scenario:

"World War II - 1941 AD" for C3C on complete world map

This is a plain and simple World War II scenario on the complete world map: There are no new graphics, units or improvements, and the original game rules have only been slightly changed. The scenario starts in June of 1941 and ends in May of 1949 after 95 turns, which is one month per turn.

You can play as one of the Axis powers (which are in a locked alliance): Nazi Germany, Japan and Italy. Play the British Commonwealth, the USA or the Free French, which constitute the Allies (in a locked alliance as well).
    Not locked in an alliance, there are the civs of the USSR, Spain/Portugal, Turkey/Saudi Arabia, Brazil and the other South Americans. A real challenge is playing as China, which is at war with the Axis.

There are some minor historical inaccuracies for the sake of a more balanced game: The game starts June 1941, right before the German attack on the USSR, and although the attack on Pearl Harbor was not before December in real history, the USA are at war with the Axis already.
    Ethiopia is still occupied by the Italians in the scenario, although they lost it in spring 1941 in reality. Vichy-France is included in Nazi-Germany, although it refused fighting with the Nazis. Indonesia and Congo belong to the Free French in the scenario, although they were colonies of the Netherlands and Belgium.
    I hope you will enjoy the scenario nevertheless.

The scenario is based on a 180x180 world map. It takes about 5 minutes to initialize on my 1.8 GHz/512 MB RAM computer, but once it is loaded, the game is very fast. Maybe it is unpleasantly slow on older systems.

The victory conditions diplomacy and culture are disabled. Corruption is set to 30% at the easiest difficulty level and increases by 10% with every next level. Tactical Nukes need Fission only as prerequisite instead of Space Flight. The government types Fascism and Communism remain unchanged, but Despotism, Republic and Feudalism have been excluded. Monarchy has been renamed to "Military Dictatorship", and there is the government type of "Democracy/Constitutional Monarchy", which has the same characteristics as Democracy, but the war weariness has been disabled.

Hey, I'm the first to answer:

Nice work.

Comment

Thanks.

Just let me know when you have suggestions what could be improved.

Comment

Sweden

Why is Sweden German-occupied? It is by far greater historical mistake than these pointed out by yourself.

Comment

No, Sweden is not occupied by Germany, Norway is. There is no Sweden in the scenario, the place is free.

When I made it, I implemented Sweden as an independant nation first, but the loading time was very long. So when I streamlined it by deleting several cities, I deleted entire Sweden as well.

Comment

Well, as far as I remember, Germany sort of depended on Swedish iron ore. So Sweden actually had a role to play although it was a neutral country.

Comment

Well, as far as I remember, Germany sort of depended on Swedish iron ore. So Sweden actually had a role to play although it was a neutral country.
              Yes, and in the first version of the scenario, I included Sweden with a big lot of iron sources.

Unfortunately, the scenario was very slow, so I decided to cut out a lot of cities. Sweden didn't survive that.

I also found it a little problematical that Sweden will declare war on any civ in the game sooner or later, even when it's aggressivity was set to minimum - another reason to exclude it.
              It's just a big flaw in the editor that you cannot set a diplomatic status besides locked alliances/wars.

Comment

Originally posted by Sim
                Yes, and in the first version of the scenario, I included Sweden with a big lot of iron sources.
                BTW, this brings us to question about resources in general: IMHO it is extremely unrealistic that only ONE source of a resource counts for all cities. Texas has oil, so what should US look for in the Middle-East? One resource should satisfy the needs of only 4-5 cities or so. But this is a major change, of course.

Originally posted by Sim
                I also found it a little problematical that Sweden will declare war on any civ in the game sooner or later, even when it's aggressivity was set to minimum - another reason to exclude it.
                It's just a big flaw in the editor that you cannot set a diplomatic status besides locked alliances/wars.
                A simple "no aggression" flag would do.

Comment

A simple "no aggression" flag would do.
                  How can I do this?

Even when I set the aggression level of a civ to absolute minimum, it won't stop declaring war or forming military alliances against other civs very soon.

Is there another option in the editor I don't know about?

Comment

Originally posted by Sim
                    Is there another option in the editor I don't know about?
                    No, AFAIK It was a suggestion for civ developers.

Comment

Ah, ok.

It's really hard to understand why there are so many detailed options available in the editor, but on the other hand, some most basic things like that are not.

Comment

Hey Sim,

I played this scenario today. First I want to say that I enjoyed it and I applaud the work you put into it, but...

It was a little too easy. I played as the Germans on Emperor level and got the Victory Point Victory on Turn 6. I took Stalingrad and Leningrad on turn 2, and Moscow on turn 4.

It seemed like I had too many units, or the Allies had too few. Germany starts with 95 Panzers! I think half that many (or even fewer) would have made it more of a challenge. They also start with 9 battleships. I'm not sure how many Britain has, but they never really challenged me.

Just my two cents. I'll probably play again, this time as the Russians -- and see if I can hold off the onslaught!
                        Eine Spritze gegen Schmerzen, bitte.

Comment

Originally posted by Falconius
                          Hey Sim,

I played this scenario today. First I want to say that I enjoyed it and I applaud the work you put into it, but...

It was a little too easy. I played as the Germans on Emperor level and got the Victory Point Victory on Turn 6. I took Stalingrad and Leningrad on turn 2, and Moscow on turn 4.

It seemed like I had too many units, or the Allies had too few. Germany starts with 95 Panzers! I think half that many (or even fewer) would have made it more of a challenge. They also start with 9 battleships. I'm not sure how many Britain has, but they never really challenged me.

Just my two cents. I'll probably play again, this time as the Russians -- and see if I can hold off the onslaught!

Thanks for your appreciation.

I didn't test the scenerio on Emperor level, so I wasn't aware that a victory by points is so easy there.
                          When I tested it on Regent level, that didn't happen.

When you change the according rules with the editor, the problem can probably be solved.

And yes - I was astonished as well, how easy it is to play. But strange enough: That counts for ALL of the more powerful civs!
                          I first played Germany, as you did, and I though "naahh, that's too simple". Then I played the USSR - and it was very simple again! The same with the British Commonwealth!

I've observed that the AI somehow doesn't arrive using the units by far as effective as a human player does - when I play a neutral civ and let Germany declare war un the USSR, they arrive conquering Kiev, Minsk, Riga and Odessa in the first turn (not unaccurately), but then fail making more progress, aven after 20 turns they have not come farther.

So be sure, the number of units the Allies have are not that low. Something just makes them to hide them ... I really don't know what could be done about that.

Comment

Access to the AI's defaults that constitute the AI's battle/strategy routines. Until this we have to wait and wait... laboring with a sluggish AI. Historical scenerios will suffer for this reason. Better a fictional scenerio where it is rigged to have the human out-numbered 4 or 5 to 1 with bottleneck bridges, water barriers and vast wastlands as buffer for purpose of emulating a strategic situation.
                            The Graveyard Keeper
                            Of Creation Forum
                            If I can't answer you don't worry
                            I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

Looks nice! I'll start it now and se if I'll have the time to finish it.

Before having tried it, I have a comment on the units. Remember that Germay was maybe the most powerful nation in the world thinking of units. There were two big mistakes that probably make us Civ3-players better military strategists than some of the nazi-leaders: London and Stalingrad. Instead of having the superior Luftwaffe take out radarinstallations and airbases, they bombarded London. And sending all those summerdressed guys to Stalingrad was just stupid. So when the Allies finally got their fist of industry ready for fight, Germany had lost a lot of units.

Originally posted by Sim

It's really hard to understand why there are so many detailed options available in the editor, but on the other hand, some most basic things like that are not.
                              Maybe microsoft actually own Civ3

Comment

Working...
                              X