Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is nationalism? Can there be good nationalism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is nationalism? Can there be good nationalism?

So I'm doing a course at uni about "theories of nation and of nationalism" where these 2 terms are discussed. Our teacher is a Pole in his early 30s and he confronts us with essays from Gellner, Hutchinson, Smith, etc.

It reminded me of something Snapcase once said after some American poster stated how patriotism was a good thing and nationalism a bad thing. Snapcase, raised by a Hungarian woman, had an inverse opinion; for him, nationalism was just the wish for national union while patriotism to him was blind following out of the idea of being a good member of a community. Sirotnikov labelled himself a nationalist because he believed in the existence of nations.

All these ideas I remembered in this course. What is your understanding of the 2 terms (nation/alism)? Can nationalism ever be good? Is there a direct link to fascism?

Militant-ethnic nationalism can be present in fascism, but unfortunately nationalism has been associated way too much with fascist thought, and not connected enough with celebratory nationalism, national cohesion, and benign nationalism. I think it can be a good thing quite easily.

Good topic.

I feel more of an affinity to northern types than southerners, it's like a different country down there - obnoxious, loud, boisterous. Acting like that up here would get you twatted in seconds..
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

According to one guy, nationalism is a tool used by elites to control the masses.

Comment

It might have been in the past.
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Probably. And: nationalism is an ideology, just as communism is.

Comment

It has theory of cognition, a world picture and an idea of man.

Comment

Why both of you speak of fascism like it would be a 'bad' thing?

Comment

blind x is bad.

nationalism, ethnic pride, patriotism... all of them can be good when they are reasonable.
                B♭3

Comment

somebody must have slept in certain history lessons...

Comment

What is reasonable nationalism, Q Cubed?
                    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

somebody must have slept in certain history lessons...
                      Directed to me?

Comment

"Why both of you speak of fascism like it would be a 'bad' thing?"

Is it not?
                        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Who are the worst nationalists these days? Germans?
                          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

The South thinks the same about you, how odd

-Pat
                            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

reasonable, as it not exclusionary.

for example: good patriotism is taking pride in american accomplishments, in the american way of life.
                              bad patriotism is doing that, and then making people trying to become american feel excluded.

a good patriot does not say to a muslim seeking to be american that he and his kind are all terrorists and then proceed to try and make his life miserable. rather, he welcomes him, and tries to help integrate the muslim into the american way, so before long, he is no longer muslim, but american.

a good nationalist is someone who takes pride in the accomplishments of his country, but does not disparage the accomplishments of another.

a person with good ethnic pride is proud of his ancestry's culture, and does not seek to destroy another's.
                              B♭3

Comment

Working...
                              X