From Civ3 to Civ4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Civ3 to Civ4

form what ive heard fomr a lot of people here is that a lot of yall want innovation, and a lot of yall dont. A lot of people have the mentality of "if it aint broke, dont fix it" and make it seem they basically want civ4 to be like civ3. But what i say is that if you wanna play civ3, play civ3. If you dont think anything is 'broke' then fine, stay with civ3. If you want just a few things here and there changed, then i suggest you advocate another expansion for civ 3. But if you want a whole new engine and interfcae and graphics and stuff, then i suggest for you civ4

IMO, civ4 should be a whole new game, probably using an entirely new engine. A lot of core elements, such as tech tree, city improvements, resources, diplomacy, etc obviously must stay (it wouldnt be a civ history game with out them), BUT, they do not have to stay in the same form that they have been in for the last C1,2, and 3.

i for one am for a departure from the past, and a radical one at that if need be.
    A radical departure. I want a whole new game, baby!
    11.11%
    A significant departure. i want a new game, but i dont want it to be alien from my good 'ole civ
    68.80%
    A slight departure. I just wanna tweak some things, and perhaps a few changes, but nothin much
    13.25%
    I dont wanna depart at all from my civ1, civ2 or civ3 that i love so dearly:D
    1.71%
    banana
    5.13%
    "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
    - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
    Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

i personally are torn between radical and significant departure. some things id like radical change, others i wouldnt mind if they kept the same.
    Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

I voted "slight", but I'm really somewhere between slight and significant. I want the feel of Civ3 to stay, but some things to change that can only be changed in a new game (I don't want this to simply be an XP in another guise).

Comment

I would like to see a radical attempt of change made in the area of AI

I know all the arguments against....too costly....too difficult...multiplayer is a nice compromise...

Well, i'm not an expert in heuristics and neural nets, but some guys that work at my company are...and from what I've seen with my own eyes, there is a lot that can be done with artificial intelligence. Some of these software algorithms are not just the domain of the military anymore.... large companies are using these software algorithms for making simple decisions regarding business. Answering email seems to be a leading business contender for these products.

Anyway, if Civ4 comes out in 2005, will it be possible to radically improve the AI... I really hope so!

In the other areas, some areas are fine as they are. The basic game layout is okay. Combat could be improved - but it's not broken. Resources and trade is one of those things that could be gambled on.

I voted signficant. The Civ franchise is strong enough to attempt a large advancement in the genre.
        Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

I would like to see a radical attempt of change made in the area of AI

This, I support. This does not change the fundamentals of the game, but rather the opponent.

Comment

I'd like a significantly new yet familiar civ4 experience and I'd also like the banana as well.

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
              I voted "slight", but I'm really somewhere between slight and significant. I want the feel of Civ3 to stay, but some things to change that can only be changed in a new game (I don't want this to simply be an XP in another guise).
              ditto
              "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
              --George Bernard Shaw
              A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
              --Woody Allen

Comment

I agree to a great extent with Shogun, but think that it describes "significant".
                *Votes significant*
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I voted with the hordes!

I feel that if the series doesn't make truly signifigant steps forward in its models and gameplay, that it will degenerate into a series of graphics updates.

Given how far computers and gamers have come since Civ 2, I would like changes from 3 to 4 to be much more dramatic than from 2 to 3.

Naturally, all of those radical changes should only be the ones I want and agree with.

Comment

I want a banna to be in the future of civilization. How can people be civilized without bananas?
                    Vote Democrat
                    Support Democracy

Comment

R a d i c a l .

Anyways, I just finished a banana.

Comment

I honestly ended up choosing banana out of my current state of mind being somewhere between apathy and not knowing at all how much I want the differency
                        Known in most other places as Anon Zytose.
                        +3 Research, +2 Efficiency, -1 Growth, -2 Industry, -2 Support.
                        http://anonzytose.deviantart.com/

Comment

If getting rid of #^*@ culture flipping and reintroducing Civ2ish trade as a major component in gameplay is "slight change," that's my vote.
                          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Fosse
                            I voted with the hordes!

I feel that if the series doesn't make truly signifigant steps forward in its models and gameplay, that it will degenerate into a series of graphics updates.

Given how far computers and gamers have come since Civ 2, I would like changes from 3 to 4 to be much more dramatic than from 2 to 3.

Naturally, all of those radical changes should only be the ones I want and agree with.
                            yes, i think much the same. The advances in other game genres in the past couple years have been leaps and bounds. civ4 should be the same.

Comment

time to get civ kicking and screaming in to the year of the fruitbat....

Comment

Working...
                              X