Settler and Colonist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settler and Colonist

In Conquests, one scenario features the "Colonist" unit.

I think this would be a spectacular idea for Civ4, but with a slight twist from the scenario in Conquests. Basic idea is this: a Colonist is (twice?) as expensive to produce, but founds a size 3 town with a granary and barracks. You also have to have a certain technology to build settlers...perhaps a technology called "Colonization"?

I think this is important because it is unrealistic to build cities in the industrial age, especially far from home, which take 60-80 turns to produce basic things. Most colonies in this time period took very little time to get up and running, and soon became large regional centres (examples - Philadelphia, New Amsterdam/York, Boston, etc.
    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Cities that spring up in the Industrial era could be former colonies near trade goods. They turn into cities once they reach a certain amount of income or they grow to a certain size over the years.

There is another idea in a Mod for CtP2 where you dont build any settlers at all, you specifiy whether you want it to lean towards coastal cities or inland cities and soon as one of your cities reaches a certain size another city is founded near it.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

hmmm, interesting...but I think it's kind of anti-civ
      You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

Comment

Please try to keep ideas in the single idea thread for now. It will make my job a lot easier when I start to distribute the ideas to the category managers.

In the coming weekend I start doing just that, and then next week, threads are opened by the category managers for each and every category.

If you wish to be category manager, then please sign up in the sign-up thread

Asmodean
        Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

I think this would be a spectacular idea for Civ4, but with a slight twist from the scenario in Conquests. Basic idea is this: a Colonist is (twice?) as expensive to produce, but founds a size 3 town with a granary and barracks.
          What? Firaxis stole yet another idea from CtP? Can't they think of anything themselves?

In CtP this unit is called the Urban Planner BTW, and already part of the standard game.
          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

that idea wasn't stolen by firaxis

Orange just thinks that it is a good idea

I think that firasix should look at it also

there definitely shuold be something that enhances the speed at developing a city in the industrial era

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus

What? Firaxis stole yet another idea from CtP? Can't they think of anything themselves?

In CtP this unit is called the Urban Planner BTW, and already part of the standard game.
              If they don't take the good stuff from CtP, we complain that the idea is out there and they didn't use it.

Now, if the do, are you going to complain about that too?

Good ideas should be in, no matter where they come from. And for the record, I don't really like this particular idea.

Comment

Asmodean - I'm sorry! I kept reading your post as "Keep ideas in separate" threads so I made this one rather than posting it in one of the old threads. Sorry mate

Comment

LOL...it's okay, Orange. At least your not doing it deliberately like certain other individuals

Asmodean
                  Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus

Something similar to this was in SMAC - I forget what it was called (it was a Wonder though). I think this is a good idea.

Comment

If you're refering to Brent... I have to say I did advise him to create threads at will.

:incurs Asmodean's wrath:

don't like colors!! :wrath:

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a few threads to start.

Comment

cheaper settlers, more shields

Originally posted by orange

I think this would be a spectacular idea for Civ4, but with a slight twist from the scenario in Conquests. Basic idea is this: a Colonist is (twice?) as expensive to produce, but founds a size 3 town with a granary and barracks. You also have to have a certain technology to build settlers...perhaps a technology called "Colonization"?

I think this is important because it is unrealistic to build cities in the industrial age, especially far from home, which take 60-80 turns to produce basic things. Most colonies in this time period took very little time to get up and running, and soon became large regional centres (examples - Philadelphia, New Amsterdam/York, Boston, etc.
                        I like your idea of Colonist but the colonist shouldnt be too strong. I think a granery is enough.
                        And the tec colonisation should be resurched at the earliest in modern.

Futhermore I think that the settler in civ3 is too expensive to built. It takes too much time to built it.
                        I think that a lot of citys should be a big advantage. But i realized that the corruption in civ3 is too massive at the diaty level. The mayority of the citys produce almost nothing and there is almost no gold income.
                        In my opinion thats a big problem in civ3.

Comment

Working...
                        X