• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally - Bush did something good !

From BBC : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3291537.stm

Bush ditches steel import duties

Steelworkers wanted the tariffs to be kept
    President George W Bush has repealed US tariffs on imported steel to avoid a damaging trade war.
    The decision follows a World Trade Organisation decision that the duties, imposed in March 2002, are illegal.

Mr Bush had justified them by saying foreign steel firms were driving US firms out of business with unfair competition and government subsidies.

Without the widely-trailed repeal, the European Union would have imposed sanctions worth $2.2bn on 15 December.

---

A victory for free trade supporters
    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

"I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Already a couple of free trade threads.

You could have posted this in mine.

Good news nonetheless.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

now, for instituting them in the first place.

(sorry, this thread seemed to be degenerating into just a series of )
        B♭3

Comment

Why should Bush get credit for "doing something good," when he was the one who imposed the stupid tariff in the first place?

YAY! BUSH RECTIFIED HIS OWN BONEHEADED MISTAKE TO AVERT AN OBVIOUS ECONOMIC DISASTER OF A TRADE WAR! SUCH GENIUS!!!
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

But at least he rectified it. Unlike Iraq, which is a mistake that will continue for years to come
            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

-Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Yea, now if we can get those dumb ass countries to actually start paying their workers for work, then maybe we would get a fair trade established.

At least Dell is bringing some work back home from India.
                Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

Or if we can get those dumbass multi-national American companies to pay their workers decently, right Defiant?
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Defiant
                    Yea, now if we can get those dumb ass countries to actually start paying their workers for work, then maybe we would get a fair trade established.
                    Yes, Europe and Japan are notorious for having such low-wage steel workers with horrendous working conditions and crappy benefits.

Is what you're "defiant" of rational thought?
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                      Or if we can get those dumbass multi-national American companies to pay their workers decently, right Defiant?
                      It's not all American multi-nationals. Try being a line rat for a large Chinese or Korean company, for one.
                      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Suddenly, Defiant is concerned of workers' rights.

he does have a point, though.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Yes, Europe and Japan are notorious for having such low-wage steel workers with horrendous working conditions and crappy benefits.

Is what you're "defiant" of rational thought?
                          It is not just the steel workers, all imports, look at the back of the items you buy in the next week, I doubt you will see anything from Europe or Japan, try Asia, Phillipines and Mexico, this steel tarriff is the beginning to where Bush wants to go with this. You want to know why this country is losing jobs, you can try and blame Bush but you're an idiot if you do, job loss started long before Bush, it is the pushing of US jobs across seas, because it can be done cheaper. The United States is in a horrific trade imbalance and it doesn't go well for us US workers.
                          A fairer system to all would be fair trade equilivent to differences in wages, that would go both ways.

Look, if the USA is on top of the economic pinnacle and we want world trade and somebody is at the bottom, it is a fair assessment that the top as to give in order for the bottom to gain, and I don't particuarly want to give up something just so China is better off. Now if you want to say that the US imposed a 30% trade on China because their wages are 30% of the US, all fair now in love, war and economics. I think America should protect her jobs.
                          Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

tariffs kill business. this is why, until recently, no foreign automaker has been able to crack any of the east asian markets.

i've never seen a tariff i didn't despise.
                            B♭3

Comment

Try being a line rat for a large Chinese or Korean company, for one.

a lot of korean companies that are well known have been moving upstream. the big chaebol apparently pay well.
                              B♭3

Comment

Working...
                              X