Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Empire Strikes Back - N.Y. Yankees Trade for Vazquez

Yankees, Expos agree on Vazquez trade for Johnson, Rivera

NEW YORK -- The New York Yankees made their first big move of the offseason, bolstering their rotation by agreeing Thursday to acquire Javier Vazquez from the Montreal Expos.

In exchange for the 27-year-old right-hander, New York sent first baseman Nick Johnson, outfielder Juan Rivera and left-hander Randy Choate to Montreal. The deal is contingent on all five players passing physicals.

"It's tough to trade a pitcher like Javier Vazquez, but I think we have a better opportunity with the situation going forward," Expos general manager Omar Minaya said at a news conference in Montreal.

The Yankees issued a statement acknowledging the trade but said they wouldn't make any additional comments until after the physicals, citing major-league rules.

Vazquez fills one of the holes in the Yankees' starting rotation. He went 13-12 with a 3.24 ERA for the Expos last season, ranking third in the NL in strikeouts with 241 in 230 2/3 innings.

He is three years younger than Bartolo Colon, a free agent that attracted the Yankees' interest.

"I think Vazquez is one of the better young pitchers in the game," Minaya said. "When he goes out there, he gives you everything. He's got one of the higher pitch counts in the game. That means he wants to be out there."

Minaya had been talking with Yankees general manager Brian Cashman for more than a month.

"Brian called me right after the season," Minaya said. "I told him, 'I don't have to trade Javier Vazquez. If you are interested, be aggressive.' And to his credit, he was aggressive."

New York's rotation, the backbone of its run to four World Series titles and six AL pennants since 1995, is unsettled. Roger Clemens retired, and Andy Pettitte and David Wells filed for free agency. In addition, Wells had back surgery Tuesday.

The Yankees' rotation includes Mike Mussina, Jose Contreras, Jeff Weaver and Jon Lieber, who hasn't pitched in the majors since reconstructive elbow surgery in August 2002 but hopes to be ready for the start of the season.

Johnson, 25, played first base for much of last season because of Jason Giambi's knee injury after starting the season as the regular designated hitter. While he is regarded as a top hitter -- he batted .284 with 14 homers, 47 RBI and a .422 on-base percentage -- he has been injury prone throughout his career.

Rivera, 25, hit .266 with seven homers and 26 RBI in 173 at-bats and has a strong throwing arm.

Choate, 28, pitched only 3 2/3 innings over five relief appearances for the Yankees last season, compiling a 7.36 ERA. He went 3-5 with one save and a 3.91 ERA in 54 games at Triple-A Columbus.

Montreal, which is owned by the other 29 teams, is faced with payroll limits. Vazquez, eligible for salary arbitration, probably will get a raise from the $6 million he made last season after losing his hearing. He is eligible for free agency after next season.

Johnson is eligible for salary arbitration for the first time this winter; Rivera isn't yet eligible.

New York will have to find another backup first baseman to spell Giambi, who had knee surgery after the season.

Meanwhile, the Yankees are pushing ahead on several fronts.

Gary Sheffield, who met Monday and Tuesday with Yankees owner George Steinbrenner at the team's spring training complex in Tampa, Fla., worked out Wednesday at the Yankees' minor league complex in Florida and took a physical Thursday.

Sheffield, a free agent, is closing in on a three-year deal with the Yankees worth about $39 million. About $15 million of the money will be deferred, and the deal will include an option for 2007.
    George may have done a ton of incredibly stupid things this year... but thank god he picked the right pitcher to trade Johnson for. I would have been shaking my head had George used Nick to get Schilling or Brown...

Now we gotta resign Pettitte and then we'll be getting somewhere.
    CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
    Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
    Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
    Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Re: The Empire Strikes Back - N.Y. Yankees Trade for Vazquez

Originally posted by reismark
    NEW YORK -- The New York Yankees made their first big move of the offseason, bolstering their rotation by agreeing Thursday to acquire Javier Vazquez from the Montreal Expos.

In exchange for the 27-year-old right-hander, New York sent first baseman Nick Johnson, outfielder Juan Rivera and left-hander Randy Choate to Montreal. The deal is contingent on all five players passing physicals.
    Sports writers suck (edit: Not the NY Times, but they still suck).
    Last edited by Boris Godunov; December 4, 2003, 16:22.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Boris:

And this, along with the Schilling deal with Boston, is why baseball needs revenue sharing. The only reason Montreal dealt Vasquez is because they can't hope to afford him
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

doesn't matter, if the Yankees do anything next year, it'll be losing to the 2004 World Series Champion Chicago Cubs.

Boris: nice catch GRAMMAR NAZI
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

****ing morons.

Trading Nick Johnson is a mistake. They do need some pitching, I understand, but Nick should have been on the "untradeable" list.

The Yanks need to take a few years to rebuild the farm system, instead of trying to just reload each offseason with free agents.

It's like fashion trends... the 80s are coming back...

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Why bother cultivating on the farm when you can just throw gobs of cash around?

Baseball needs salary caps so badly, it's unbelievable it hasn't happened yet. It deserves to have lost its place as America's favorite sport to football.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

yeah, but parity in football is garbage... I'd rather have teams in successful markets spending money because they run their franchises well instead of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays winning the World Series because teams like the Cubs and Yankees are forced to give them their earnings.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Holy ****. I'm glad I went back 4 pages to find this. This is the second time that I can recall agreeing with Sava.

I still think it's a terrible trade, and that the Yankees are teetering on the brink of another dark age.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Trading Nick Johnson is a mistake. They do need some pitching, I understand, but Nick should have been on the "untradeable" list.

Just thinking about Giambi playing 1B is enough to make a Yankee hater smile .

the Yankees are teetering on the brink of another dark age

Is it any coincidence that King Steinbrenner is getting more involved these days? .
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

"Big Stein needs his CALZONE!"
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                      I still think it's a terrible trade, and that the Yankees are teetering on the brink of another dark age.
                      Here's hoping!!

I was kind of shocked they gave up Johnson. But it's nice to see Vazquez leave the NL East.
                      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

For a second I thought they traded Mariano Rivera.
                        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

This is not a terrible trade for the Yankees, at all. Unless Johnson develops into another Carlos Delgado or Vazquez tears his labrum, a starter of Vazquez' quality (and in his prime) is a lot harder to find than a first baseman who can hit. If the Expos could afford to pay Vazquez they'd never make this deal.
                          "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                            I hope you're right.
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                            X