Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polish 1939 army in Civ 2 graphics - mistakes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis German forces: 10,000+ losses
    Allied Polish forces: 250,000+ losses.
    Tragic but true.
    Actually... a tragic mistake.
    Here are the losses for both sides.

Polish losses: 70 000 KIA (7 000 of those were killed by Soviets)
    German losses: 16 000 KIA, 5 000 MIA.
    Soviet losses: 3 000 KIA

Those are the facts, checked in several reliable sources.

Last edited by KASHANKA; December 25, 2003, 09:20.

Comment

Originally posted by KASHANKA

Actually... a tragic mistake.
      Here are the losses for both sides.

Polish losses: 70 000 KIA (7 000 of those were killed by Soviets)
      German losses: 16 000 KIA, 5 000 MIA.
      Soviet losses: 3 000 KIA

Those are the facts, checked in several reliable sources.

The mistake is yours, that you be sure of.

I am listing casualties such as wounded and MIA, not just total kills on the Polish side.

Also your German figures seem a trifle off the mark.

Germany:
      Try someing like 8029 killed, 27279 wounded, and 5029 missing.

Poland:
      Here is my figure, broken down: 66300 killed, 133700 wounded and 420000 taken prisoner.

This far outranks my original figure.

My figures are taken from Allied sources, published in 1939 and listed
      in a respected historical book on the SS and WW2 by Christopher Ailsby.

Care to challenge military Journals and history?
      Perhaps the Polish Government has made it's own version.
      But this is the generally accepted version of the tragic Polish losses for 1939.
      http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
      http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

I won't argue on the Polish losses, as data are not very detailed. Moreover our information seem to be more or less the same in the KIA part.

As for the Gemans...
        Here are my sources:
        - B.Kroener "Das Deutsche Reich und der Zweite Weltkrieg"
        - H.Vormann "Fall Weiss"
        - T. Jurga "Kampania Wrzeœmiowa 1939"
        - R. Zielinski "Wrzesieñ 1939"

All indicate that Germans lost 16 343 KIA, 27 640 (Zielinski points to 27 384) wounded and 5058 MIA(Zielinski points to 5452) .

Those are my sources and as you see I'm using modern Polish and German books.
        Last edited by KASHANKA; December 27, 2003, 15:36.

Comment

As I understand it, there's a great deal of uncertainty over what Germany's actual casualties really were - many historians think that the Germans covered up their true casualties. As the Poles were 'sub-humans' in the eyes of the Nazis, the Germans could hardly admit to taking substancial casualties from such 'inferior' beings. Low figures such as 8,000 fatalities are almost certainly too low for what was an 8 week campaign against a large, if poorly equiped, army.

What we do know for certain is that German equipment losses were quite substaincial - litterally hundreds of Pz I and Pz II tanks that crossed into Poland disappeared from the Wehrmacht's inventory, and the Luftwaffe's aircraft losses numbered in the hundreds. Again, the actual scope of equipment losses were much higher then what the Nazis ever offically admitted, and had to be pieced together after the war from examining equipment returns.

All in all, the Polish campaign wasn't quite the cake-walk for the Germans it's often thought of as being.

BTW, didn't hundreds of thousands of Polish troops cross into Romania?
          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
          - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

War is never a cake walk, bu an stretch.

The bliztkrieg war was a revolutuion in combat, but still casualties were terrible.

As Manstein said, war is never a case of ease and swift resolution.

If you read of the USSR/Axis casualties from Operation Barbarossa in Jun to Dec 1941, it indicates what a nightmare war was in this era.

I guess it just adds up to the fact that WW2 was a tragedy for all.

A shame we have learned so little from it.

Comment

BTW, didn't hundreds of thousands of Polish troops cross into Romania?
              Yes, as well to Hungary and the Baltic states.
              Poland was attacked from all sides: North from East Prussia, West form Germany, South from former Czechoslovakia, East from the Soviet union.
              The short borders with Lithuania, Latvia, Hungary and Romania were the last chance for the soldiers afther the Soviet army invaded.

Comment

So what is the upshot of this thread?

KASHANKA, Care to summarise your advice to anyone using the Polish insignia on units from 1939-45?

Comment

Originally posted by curtsibling
                  If you read of the USSR/Axis casualties from Operation Barbarossa in Jun to Dec 1941, it indicates what a nightmare war was in this era.
                  Good point Curt. Again, while the early parts of Barbarossa are usually considered to have been a cake-walk for the Germans, their casualties for this period actually numbered in the hundreds of thousands. Which is certainly a poke in the eye for those folks who enjoy constructing complex scenarios which would have 'gaurenteed' a sucessful invasion of the USSR in 1941.
                  'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                  - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Originally posted by curtsibling
                    So what is the upshot of this thread?

KASHANKA, Care to summarise your advice to anyone using the Polish insignia on units from 1939-45?
                    OK:
                    1) Use the checked white and red symbol ONLY for the Airforce.

2) The Red and white banner with the eagle in the top should be used ONLY for the Polish navy.

3) For the land army its the best to use a normal Polish National flag such as this:
                    Or a white eagle on the red background (such as Cpt. Nemo used in his scenarios).

Last edited by KASHANKA; January 1, 2004, 10:28.

Comment

No... stopping the Germans wouldn't be that difficult.
                      Stopping the Germans AND the Soviets - now that's when you need a miracle.

Oh come on. This is pure nationalism.

Comment

Re: Polish 1939 army in Civ 2 graphics'n stuff.

If someone does a good icon of polish infantry, TK-3 and 7 TP tank graphics I promise to make a Poland 1939 scenario
                        As Arthedain provided the polish infantry unit, I realized that only 2 tanks are needed if we want to get a Poland 39 scenario!

Come on tank geeks, do your magic!
                        Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                        Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                        POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                        LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Originally posted by Case

Good point Curt. Again, while the early parts of Barbarossa are usually considered to have been a cake-walk for the Germans, their casualties for this period actually numbered in the hundreds of thousands.

400.000 IIRC for which only 150.000 replacements were available.

As for the German casualities i think that the official Wehrmacht records are generally very reliable-as all things German.
                          I am not talking about casualities admited here but casualities registered.

And in any case 20.000-30.000 looses(KIAs, WIAs, MIAs) are only logical when fighting an 1.000.000 strong Polish army.
                          Last edited by Palaiologos; March 15, 2004, 14:21.
                          "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
                          Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Working...
                          X