Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAN game problems with moo2

Hello all,

I am trying to network a LAN game of Moo2.
    Years ago under win95 (in a Dos box) this was no problem. Now, with a few 98 machines and a xp machine we are able to get the game to work, but have a few problems.
    The main problem is one i encountered when moo2 first came out, yet does not seem to solve itself in the same way.

We want the game to include tactical combat, yet in windows this does not seem possible. (before i recall in windows95 tactical combat always caused a crash)

Under win95 I was able to network in the regular orion2.exe, now in 98 when i try i get an error cannot run dos network under windows (paraphrazed), so it seems i need a dos emulater.

I tried Dos box 6.0 though don't fully understand how to operate it...it is very slow (mouse speed at a crawl) and i get a com link error when i try to start a network game (wich suggested i have not got the dos box to see my network).

Any suggestions on how to get a LAN game with win 98 and or xp machines to play it in dos??

thanks

you don't have orion95.exe?

I think you may have to just fall back to a hotseat game.

Comment

don't want to use orion95.exe for you cannot then have tactical combat (game crashes).

Years ago I was able to make a LAN environment stable for 4 players in a dos shell yet now when i try this i get an error message that you cannot run a dos network game in windows....so I need to be able to have the machines run moo2.exe in dos while windows provides the drivers and networking.

btw hot seat would be untenable with 4 people and does not solve the problem of no tacticle combat.

btw also if i turn tactical combat off the game is fairly stable, but i know i can get tactical combat as i did have it when i tried the game years earlier.

thanks again

Comment

? hmm thats wierd its working for me on a win98 box with orion 95.

Comment

Did finaly get the game working, one problem was that one of the machines didnt have ship initiative turned on while the others did. (options tab)

Although it is a bit slow....moo2 over Lan with 3 or 4 friends is very fun.....thanks all

Comment

Follow the Multiplayer setup guide on www.masteroforion2.com . I think you need to tick some boxes on the Orion2.exe properties , prevent MS DOS programs from detecting windows OR maybe tick the "protected" box for conventional memory on the Memory tab.

It's the sort of thing you do once then forget all about it.

Comment

Working...
            X