Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started a thread about the Statue of Zeus and whether it should require ivory:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=104629.
    "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

I was wondering, Alexman, or anyone else for that matter, if you have a AU like mod running on C3C at the moment, based on some of the easy to carry over PTW changes, such as the changes to the AI build often lists, possibly extended to new civs. Even if its not "official" or "balanced" it would be nice to have the AU mod running for C3C with a few suggested changes for everyone to experiment how suggested changes or old PTW changes effect balance and other factors in a AU like context.

Comment

It doesn't look like an official version of the AU mod will be released any time soon. So anyone should feel free to port the PTW version of the mod to C3C (I have not yet made such a version) and post it in this forum, but the first official version of the AU mod for C3C will likely be quite different.

Sorry for the delay, but it's due to the new system we have for developing the mod, which requires time for discussion and voting.

Comment

I'd like to play some stock epic games now that the BETA patch is out.

Who's interested in trying to get the AU C3C Mod and the first new AU game ready for the New Year's weekend?
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I marked the proposals regarding the Statue of Zeus as 'under consideration':

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...postid=2608215.
            "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

is there going to be a thread for the changing of the "build often", "build never" flags? or will all be adapted from the PTW mod?
              - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
              - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

In the Statue of Zeus thread, we are experiencing difficulty in narrowing down the proposals for voting.

Any voting system to choose between more than one proposal will produce flawed results once in a while, but here are the proposed voting systems so far:

Originally posted by alexman
                This is how it currently works:

We vote for a proposal when we think it will improve the game from what is already in the mod.

An approved change doesn't end the process. If there is another proposal for consideration, the panel will vote for it if they consider that it's better than what's in place already.
                Originally posted by nbarclay
                I still like my idea of having each panelist suggest his preference for weakening the wonder, having a vote among those, and having a run-off if none of those gets a majority. That would avoid creating a bias based on which of the ideas is chosen to put up for a vote first.
                Originally posted by vulture
                How about the good old single transferable vote system, just to make life confusing; although it is actually less confusing than it sounds.

Say there are 4 options: A, B, C and D. Each voter lists the options in order of preference. You then go through a loop of discarding the option(s) with the lowest number of votes, and reallocating those votes according to their next preference.

e.g. 5 voters, 4 options. Each lists their order of preference as
                1) ABCD
                2) ACBD
                3) BACD
                4) BCAD
                5) CBAD

So after the initial round, A has 2 votes, B has 2 votes, C has 1 vote and D has no votes.

So we delete option D, and re-allocate it's votes. There are none, so this doesn't take long. Then we delete option C, since it is the next least popular. That vote (number (5)) is reallocated. The second preference there is B, so 5's vote is added to B's total, giving A 2 votes and B 3. B wins.

The reason for doing this procedure rather than going for a simple majority is basically to compensate for a split of the protest vote. For example, suppose at the next US election, the candidates are Bush, Dean and Hillary Clinton standing as an independent Bush gets 40%, Dean and Clinton both get 30%. But all the Dean and Clinton supporters want Bush out. First past the post leaves him in. STV would mean that Hillary got eliminated, with her supporters votes going to their second choice candidate (which one assumes would be Dean - or there might be a 'even Bush is better than Dean' thing going on).

Back to the AU. We could either adopt the most popular choice after transferable voting (or poll between the two most popular choices), or use this as a method to select which option gets put to a yes/no vote first.
                Originally posted by alexman
                The biggest problem I have with such a system that doesn't involve comparing each proposal head-to-head against every other proposal, is that votes between similar proposals can get split, while a third (more unique) proposal might win even though it would not win head-to-head against either of the other two proposals.

But a single vote asking panel members to order the proposals will be sufficient to determine any head-to-head winner, although not exactly by the single transferable vote system described above.

Example of a difficult vote:
                Four proposals, A, B, C, D
                Five voters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
                A and B are similar and can be considered almost the same proposal.
                C, D are unique.

Voter 1: ABCD
                Voter 2: BACD
                Voter 3: CBAD
                Voter 4: DABC
                Voter 5: CBAD

Note that A and B are always next to each other, as they are almost the same idea.

Under nbarclays system, C would win, even though more panelists prefer the A/B proposal over C.

Under the transferable vote system, A would win, even though most panelists prefer B over A.

But if we move down the list, comparing A to B, then the winner against C, and then the winner against D, (essentially what we have been doing) B would win, as I think it should.
                Originally posted by vulture
                It is worth bearing in mind "arrow's theorem" (IIRC), which amounts to there being no voting system which doesn't throw up pathological results once in a while, although some do better than others. Actually there is one which perfectly represents the voting population: one man, one vote (as done by Terry Pratchett: "The patrician was the Man. He had the Vote.")

The flaw in a simple vote is fairly obvious. The flaw in single transferable vote system is pretty much what Alexman says - there are combinations of cotes that leave the 'wrong' answer in place,

The flaw (or one of the flaws - most systems can fail in a variety of amusing ways) in Alexman's proposal is this:

3 voters, 4 options, voting in order of preference
                1) ABCD
                2) CDAB
                3) BCAD

compare A to B: A comes ahead of B twice. Compare A to C: C beats A twice, so become the preferred choice. compare C to D: C always beats D. So we have a clear winner: C. Or do we? Compare C to B: B beats C twice.
                So B beats C, C beats A, A beats B. Rock-paper-scissors scenario, where it is impossible to chose a winner.

Incidentally, using tiebreakers under STV, A, B and C all get one vote, so there is no lowest candiate to throw away (well, apart from D, but that doesn't change anything at this stage). Looking at the second preferences as a tiebreaker, B, C and D all get one vote. D is gone, so 1)'s vote goes to his third choice - C. C wins the tiebreak 2-1 (if there is a tie at this stage, you can repeat the process of course).
                Originally posted by sabrewolf
                or, you could give everyone a vote for each x from {+2, +1, 0, -1}. where 0 can be used more than once.
                the higher average wins. at a tie, the one with the smaller standard devation wins (so +1+1 is better than +2+0).
                next vote decides, how many things get included.

Comment

How about this:

1) Panelists vote for all proposals in order of preference.
                  2) The head-to-head method is used, going down the list of proposals, to determine a potential winner.
                  3) The winner is then compared head-to-head against all other proposals to make sure it wins against all of them. If it does, we have a result.
                  4) If the 'winner' actually loses to another proposal in head-to-head, then there is a paper-rock-scissors cycle that we need to break. A transferable-vote system is used until one of the proposals in that cycle is eliminated. After the cycle is broken, a clear winner should be able to be determined.

Am I missing something? Notice how all the above requires just one single action from each panel member: order the proposals.

Edit: I guess we can still have a tie when using the TVS to eliminate proposals (example: ABC, BCA, CAB). In that case, we're in big trouble no matter what system we use though. Perhaps a public poll to eliminate one (or more, in case of a tie) of the choices in the cycle?
                  Last edited by alexman; January 15, 2004, 10:49.

Comment

I realize there are differing opinions and mine is not necessarily the most popular, but here it is...

Any democratic or committee sort of venture MUST have a guiding hand, a president, an executive in charge of pushing, poking, prodding when necessary. Must. I know some of us are coders - if noone drives the project, what happens to it? That's right, nothing good.

Even in the new voting model proposed, we're still going to need someone to realize when we're wallowing in "Design by Committee" and call for a vote on something.

Someone has to drive.
                    I think - even though it was far less formal than it is now - alexman did a phenomenal job of this in previous versions, plucking things out of the AU ether(forums) and (I assume getting a feel for consensus, tempered by his own knowledge) simply and efficiently implemented changes. If something didn't meet with approval, it was rechanged or removed.

The point is, it worked. The mod actually happened. No, it wasn't always right, I'll grant that.

But without a project manager type, we will slowly drift into design-by-committee, as seen in the SoZ discussion for one. The fact that none of us can agree on how to change it, or even on what to vote about, tells me that we really need someone in the driver's seat, sucking it up from time to time and being the "bad guy", acting unilaterally, though not randomly.

I don't care what voting model we pick, but I propose we also pick a mod-moderator of sorts. Some who decides when things have gone beyond the point of progress, when things need voting on, when things need to be tabled for the time being, and yes, even what to vote on.

I nominate alexman due to his past experience and excellence in this role, though it may be more work/responsibility than he wants any more. I'm sure it was a lot to manage way back before we had a panel and is undoubtedly moreso now.
                    "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

In the absence of a "driver" here's an idea I copied from the SoZ thread, which I daftly posted in the wrong place.

----
                      (Here's a thought - instead of gathering _all_ proposed ideas, gather only those that have been "seconded" by someone other than the originator? Like lockstep's post would be considered seconding my "move the wonder to a later tech" proposal. Just an idea to trim down the number of single-supporter, no-votes ideas that might potentially get on the ballot.)
                      ----
                      "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

Sure, that could work too, although it certainly doesn't hurt to consider more proposals when voting, in case somebody was not paying attention when it was time to second.

Comment

I really dislike the "SoZ style" of voting. It just adds another level of complication to something that was designed to be a simplificator, the AU mod panel.

Additionally, I dislike the ranking system for our purposes on methodological grounds. Some proposed changes I simply cannot support, even for half a vote, or even a quarter of a vote.

I thought the original idea was to only implement changes that received general consensus from the community and/or panel, and leave controversial items out of the mod. With the ranking system under consideration, every proposal will end up in a implemented change, resulting in a "that sounds cool - flavor of the week" type mod, one that ultimately lacks focus.

I much prefer the system I set up originally: changes are debated by the community, and only if there's an impasse does the panel step in and make a verdict.

Dominae
                          And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

If you dislike a proposal, simply rank the "no change" option higher than that proposal! If the majority of the panel members do the same, there is no way that proposal will get implemented.

Edit: Also, not all proposals make it into the voting. Only proposals that have received some support from previous discussion.
                            Last edited by alexman; January 16, 2004, 12:41.

Comment

With a new system whereby we rank all options on all suggestions, there's bound to be more changes than if we just stuck to the "minimalist" approach we've used so far. Why? Because every proposal is bound to have it's supporters (who rank it high), and those neutral to it (who rank it medium), resulting in a high vote count overall. So far in the voting there's been a major preference for making changes rather than leaving well enough alone, probably because it's fun to make a mod.

If we do use the system, I suggest we make the "no change" option count for a lot more than any of the other votes. This is the only way of making sure we're not just changing stuff for the sake of change.

Again, I dislike the idea of voting on every single issue. But perhaps this is a necessary evil to get the mod off the ground. Afterward, however, I would prefer if we went back to the old system.

Dominae
                              Last edited by Dominae; January 16, 2004, 12:53.
                              And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Yes, I'm sure that once we have our first 'complete' version of the mod, the SoZ system will not be necessary often at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X