North African Front: The Rise of the Afrika Korps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yaroslav
    If I can add an idea, I'd like to point that the units should be slow, to reflect the hardness of suply lines in the desert
    You raise a very interesting and important point. Most Axis supplies will be coming through Tripoli. A quick glance of the above map will indicate that it is a long way to Alexandria and the front lines.

Also, any reinforcements will need to be brought from Italy, subject to the British navy and airforce operating out of Malta.

It can all be tweaked to help achieve the right balance.

Thanks for your suggestions

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Arthedain
      Looks very interesting Leonidas
      I've always had an interest in this area of WWII.

I am surprised there are not more wargames, scenarios and movies on the topic of the Afrika Korps. North Africa saw some great tank battles, involving hundreds of tanks charging from both sides.

And of course, it was in the desert war where the 88mm achieved its fame. . .

I'd like to see a good movie done on Rommel.

Comment

Here are two slightly different versions of the German halftrack SdKfz 250/1.

Pictured here is a Pioneer Assault Halftrack:

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas

I've always had an interest in this area of WWII.

I am surprised there are not more wargames, scenarios and movies on the topic of the Afrika Korps. North Africa saw some great tank battles, involving hundreds of tanks charging from both sides.

And of course, it was in the desert war where the 88mm achieved its fame. . .

I'd like to see a good movie done on Rommel.
          Probably, you're aware of this, but I'd like to add that there is already at least one scen about African war for Civ2; it's somewhat old, "AFRIKA KORPS" by John Petroski (based on the work of the genius Harlan Thompson)

A very interesting feature that I'd like to see in a African scen is that in the first turns, the axis units should be very weak, as the actual performance of italian army was poor against the British. But then come the germans and all changed... Are you going to reflect it (if possible) in your scen? Maybe an AI attacking you at first and the you hiting back could be interesting... the problem is that the AI attacks you with all its units, so there will be no enough units to stop human's counterattack...
          Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

:shamed: I've read that your scen is based on Petroski's one. How could I miss that the first time I did read your posts???

Sorry.
            Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

:shamed: I've read that your scen is based on Petroski's one. How could I miss that the first time I did read your posts???

Sorry.
              No problem

Some of my posts have a lot of writing in them and it's easy to miss if you're reading fast.

But you do raise a good point. Within a couple turns of the scenario the British will launch their offensive. The Italian units in general are weaker than the British.

So a great deal will depend on the player's strategy and his use of the Afrika Korps.

Cheers!

Comment

More Afrika Korps units.

Halftrack variants.

Here is a SdKfz 250 Command halftrack (2 slightly different versions):

Comment

Originally posted by GoPostal
                  And from my point of view, so I can use the units. I came across this researching for Operation Battleaxe, the sign of the 8th Panzer, who were there.
                  I'll apologise for my extreme geekiness up-front here
                  The second of those symbols is actually 8th Panzer Division, who were not part of the DAK. The two Afrika Korps Pz Divisions were 15th and 21st (formally 5th Light). 8th Panzer Regiment were a component part of the 15th Panzer Division, which I guess is the cause of the confusion here.
                  http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

I have been completely wrong!
                    Calling all Designers, the SL CivGroup is open for business!

Comment

I just tried the original and it was nice. An update would be really cool I like that you've included more of Africa
                      "Peace cannot be kept by force.
                      It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Originally posted by Arthedain
                        I just tried the original and it was nice. An update would be really cool I like that you've included more of Africa
                        There is a lot in the scenario to like.

However, if you notice all the unit stats are outta whack. For example, most of the armour stats are all the same.

So in just two ways I am changing a lot of the graphics (many entirely new graphics) as well as changing all the stats for all the military units, so they are more reasonable.

Plus many more changes.

Comment

Another German halftrack variant.

This is a SdKfz 250 20mm AA halftrack:

Comment

If I can add an idea, I'd like to point that the units should be slow, to reflect the hardness of suply lines in the desert
                            OTOH, the desert campaigns tended to involve fast moving battles across vast distances. Perhaps a logistical model like the one in Captain Nemo's second front would be better?
                            'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                            - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

yes it would be really awesome if you could figure out how to give each side an advantage as they retreat towards their supply routes.
                              Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

Case and The ANZAC:

Great ideas

Delving that deep into the supply issue for both sides sounds great, but I think it may be beyond the size of the revision I will be doing for this scenario.

While interesting, I think it would over-complicate the scenario setup as I presently envision it.

But I think it would be something to consider in another scenario of this type.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                                X