Impassable terrain characteristics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impassable terrain characteristics?

OK, so I've never messed around with impassable terrain, but I'm thinking maybe I want to. So for those of you who've used it (for scenarios or whatever), questions:

A unit that has the impassable override will be able to pass ALL impassable terrain on ALL maps, right?

Now what if there's a railroad going across impassable terrain? Can a unit without the override cross it now?

And impassable applies to land, air, and sea, right? What about Domain 3?
    (er, does Domain 3 even work in ToT??)

That's all I can think of right now. Toss in whatever other fun ToT glitches might exist on this topic.

The reason I ask is I'm considering modifying my "base" game so Mountains are impassable only to Settlers. I think it helps balance an otherwise powerful early unit, and also more accurately represents the impact of mountains on early expansion.

Re: Impassable terrain characteristics?

Originally posted by MikeLynch
    OK, so I've never messed around with impassable terrain, but I'm thinking maybe I want to. So for those of you who've used it (for scenarios or whatever), questions:

A unit that has the impassable override will be able to pass ALL impassable terrain on ALL maps, right?
    Yes. But you can set the impassible terrain differently on each map. Eg. mountains could be imassible on map2, but not on map4.

Now what if there's a railroad going across impassable terrain? Can a unit without the override cross it now?
    No.

And impassable applies to land, air, and sea, right? What about Domain 3?
    (er, does Domain 3 even work in ToT??)
    No. Only land units are affected. You can't make ocean terrain impassible. D3 units work in ToT.

That's all I can think of right now. Toss in whatever other fun ToT glitches might exist on this topic.
    Goody huts are automatically deleted from impassible terrain, as are barbarian hordes, even if they have the override flag.

The reason I ask is I'm considering modifying my "base" game so Mountains are impassable only to Settlers. I think it helps balance an otherwise powerful early unit, and also more accurately represents the impact of mountains on early expansion.
    Good idea. Perhaps engineers can change mountains to hills, allowing roads to be built. Early foot units (up to the rifleman, and including mountain units, of course) had better performance in very rugged terrain than mounted units, artillery or motorized units. So you might want to restrict the override flag even more.
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Good idea. Perhaps engineers can change mountains to hills, allowing roads to be built.
      Yes. Pioneers, actually -- I've added an intermediate unit between Settlers and Engineers.

Early foot units (up to the rifleman, and including mountain units, of course) had better performance in very rugged terrain than mounted units, artillery or motorized units. So you might want to restrict the override flag even more.
      Actually, I did already decide to make Chariots incapable of passing Mountains, and I just changed Horsemen likewise, but I'm hesitant to apply it beyond that.

Hannibal did cross the Alps in Elephants, after all.

And though I could see how Catapults maybe should not have the override, it seems like it'd imbalance the game too much... hmm, or maybe not... tough call.

I certainly wouldn't want Mountains to be a massive problem after Knights, or around the time of Railroad; I feel like Cannons definitely should be able to cross Mountains.

Comment

Working...
      X