Comments Welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Welcome

Hi, I recently picked up C3C and have been playing an Epic game as the Ottomans on Emperor level. I am in the Middle Ages now as a Republic, ranked #1, but behind in Science. The game seems much different from Civ III, though I hadn't played that in awhile so my memory may be faulty.

Anyways, I know the AI 'cheats', always has, but this 'stealing' Wonders right before I can build them is getting annoying. At the current stage in my game I was building the Adam Smith Trading Company and have almost completed it when I get the pop-up saying the Spanish are starting it also, then not 3-4 turns later they have completed it!! Is there any way I can rush a Wonder without a SGL? I have tried disbanding units but that doesn't seem to work.

Another observation is the obscene levels of corruption in my empire. Ouch! Earlier when my borders seemed solidified I had moved my Palace and built the FP, however after a long protracted war with the Celts and then the Arabs, my empire grew considerably. Now I am wondering again if it is 'worth' it to move the Palace once more?

I am including a save file for the more experienced players, or anyone for that matter , and would welcome their comments, positive or negative. I am more inclined now to focus on building/researching and not fighting anymore wars, even though the Arabs would be a prime choice right now. What do others think?
    Attached Files

Corruption is broken in C3C: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=101387

Comment

AFAIK the AI only has one cheat, it knows the tiles from the start.
      If it beat you to the wonder as you say, it had a SGL or the game has a bug. The way to find out is to finish the game and watch the replay. See if they do not have a SGL in the bank.
      As you have seen you cannot use any tainted shields to build wonders. No chops, no disband, no switch from pre builds that used those tainted shields.

Comment

BTW the AI may have switched from a prebuild and that allowed it to finish in a few turns. If you have a save from just before then, look to see if they had some other wonder under construction with F7.
        You may be able to end the game quick by abandoning all your cities and vacating the capitol, so it can be captured. Then watch the replay.
        As it turns out I had the same thing happen to me yesterday with Ottoman on Emp, but it is too be expected. I was pretty sure they got a leader as it was done on the next turn.

Comment

Ok here is a few thoughts for what they are worth.

Research is at 50%, 8 turns. Why not go to 70% 6 turns? You would still be in the plus.

Edrine/Iznik and Sinop all have 5 unhappy faces and are on wealth? None have a colosseum and Bachs is not underway.
          I can image that Bach may be out of reach, if it was started by others already.

Trade options seem available.

No exploring? You only have exposed the land you own and the capitols from building an embassy. The easiest way to get ahead of the AI in C3C is to build a curraugh and find all the civs first.
          Plus I want to know what is out there.

Troops - you have 46 units, while 56 is allowed. You need to have at least the max allowed by this time.

Workers - ouch only 13 native, I did not count the slaves, but it looks skimpy. In any event you have 22 cities, so even industrious workers will be unable to keep up. This is why there are so many unmined tiles and unroaded areas.

LIke I said that is just my IMO and may be worth what it cost you.

Comment

No vmxa1, your comments are most appreciated, thanks! I realize I can do a little fine-tuning to 'tighten the ship'. It's amazing how this game gets you to keep on playing 'one more turn'.

I haven't really explored, it's true. I think because I didn't want to sign ROP agreements with the AI.

It still irks when I can't build a Wonder however

Anyways back to the game !

Comment

Zonso they do not seem to be after RoP's so readily now and having contacts lets you get the reduced research for any tech that others already know. This is very useful. I now crank out that curraugh ASAP and send it around to all of the map that I can. If need be I will make many of them and make suicide runs to get to any other contient. Having 3-4 additional contacts will allow you to trade some low level techs and get the jump on your neighbors. Basically if you get them and they don't , you should be able to strangle them.
              Since contact trading comes with PP, you can pull of the Arrain deception with ease, lots of time. You can go to war with one of them 3 or 4 times to get them eliminated. No WW in despotism.

Comment

the ai also knows where your weak sides of you empire are, and which cities are lightly defended.

that's another cheat I can think of

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                  the ai also knows where your weak sides of you empire are, and which cities are lightly defended.

that's another cheat I can think of
                  That is the same cheat I mentioned. It knows the tiles and hence if you have an undefended city.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                    You may be able to end the game quick by abandoning all your cities and vacating the capitol, so it can be captured. Then watch the replay.
                    Just retire and watch the replay, it's easier that way. I love watching replays

anyways, ya.. the AI does use SGL to rush wonders, quite unexpected too! takes the game to a whole new level.

Comment

Originally posted by PeaSoup

Just retire and watch the replay, it's easier that way. I love watching replays

anyways, ya.. the AI does use SGL to rush wonders, quite unexpected too! takes the game to a whole new level.
                      The AI would rush Wonders with MGL's in Civ 3 and PtW.

Comment

Working...
                      X