Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• your favorite MoM retorts

or special abilities, or wizard skills.

I tried to put these in some sort of order, but it's a bit difficult.

My own vote is for Alchemist and Node mastery. Alchemist gives you that early boost when even your wimpy units have magic weapons, and Node mastery lets you cast your killer spells to take out nodes, instead of having to do it by brute force while all your spells fizzle.
    Myrran (3 picks)
    9.09%
    Warlord (2 picks)
    14.55%
    Famous (2 picks)
    0.00%
    Channeler (2 picks)
    1.82%
    Divine Power, also known as Life Mastery (2 picks)
    0.00%
    Infernal Power, AKA Death Mastery (2 picks)
    0.00%
    Sorcery Mastery
    1.82%
    Nature Mastery
    1.82%
    Chaos Mastery
    1.82%
    Runemaster, or Runelord, AKA Arcane Mastery
    10.91%
    Sage Master
    0.00%
    Node Mastery
    10.91%
    Artificer
    9.09%
    Alchemy, or Alchemist
    14.55%
    Mana Focusing
    0.00%
    Charismatic
    0.00%
    Conjurer
    1.82%
    Archmage
    9.09%
    11 books in one field of magic
    12.73%
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

ok, I admit I love the 11 books thing, too. probably do that more often than anything else.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...

Comment

Okay, nice poll.

The combo I've used most is the ultimate artifact mana-maker -combo:
      - Artificer (duh)
      - Runemaster (decreases mana required on arcane spells, like Create Item & Create Artifact)
      - Archmage (initially doubles the casting skill and the mana focused on skill is 50% more effective -> casting skill grows faster)

That is my ultimate combo.

And as an alternative answer:
      Divine power and Infernal power cost 2 pics both. I've tried a game with these pics twice, and I cannot find much of good use for them. When playing as Klackons they might be useful, (conquer other races, build temples and they'll be happier).... strange traits those are...
      I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

I agree with FB on Node Mastery. My other favorite is Channeling; it's hard to keep up a good supply of mana when you're paying three times the listed cost to cast spells in battle.
        "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

I play Alchemy almost every game. I'm usually short on mana with extra cash, so it's nice to be able to convert. It's essential if I'm playing a race that can't build Alchemist's Guilds (Trolls, Lizardmen, Gnolls, or Klackons). Although I've never really played a game as the latter two races...

Agree with the others on node mastery - it's a lot easier to take out nodes with magical support. And the double mana is awfully handy, too.

Channeler is very strong, too, IMO. Not only is it cheaper to cast spells during combat, but spell maintenance is halved.

Finally, warlord is great for the faster start and the +2 to hit on ultra-elite troops.

aaglo - artifact making and breaking is probably too strong. I don't use it, though, because I can't stand the tedium of casting Create Artifact every turn or two, then breaking the artifact.

I'll usually just pair alchemy with one of the above retorts; too many retorts result in a lack of spells and casting power initially. One of the many tough decisions that make this a great game.

Comment

So I guess another killer combo is Warlord and Alchemist. Magic Weapons and a boost to experience right from the start. even makes your wimpy starting swordsman and spearman something to reckon with.

Comment

I almost always went for 11 books. It's just more powerful, IMHO

Asmodean
              Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

I voted Conjurer. It's not very powerful, but it serves to balance the game in favour of summoned creatures.

Comment

Originally posted by Sore Loser
                  I voted Conjurer. It's not very powerful, but it serves to balance the game in favour of summoned creatures.
                  must not have shown up, as far as I see, conjurer still has 0 votes

Comment

I'd bet he hit Channeler on accident.

Alchemy and Warlord combined are the best.

Depends on how I want to play the game.

ACK!
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I forgot to vote, it's there now. Warlord is really powerful, and 11 identical spellbooks is too easy. Infernal Power is also pretty good, it's great fun playing black with orcs. Especially if you restrict the use of summoned creatures.

Comment

Well, someone has voted for Conjurer now, but I'm a bit iffy on just how useful it is by itself. combined with a mastery allows summoned creatures from that field for cheap, and spend the rest on books for that one field just adds to that.

There's the story of the person who took Conjurer, Sorcery mastery, and 9 sorcery books. was able to summon a couple of phantom warriors for every battle right from the start, and it just got better. I tried it myself and it's a lot of fun. I may try it with chaos and nature as well.

But by itself? I don't see it.

Comment

I voted Conjurer not because it was best, but because it balances the game best. I find normal units to be generally superior to summoned ones, picking Conjurer improves the balance somewhat, giving you more decisions to make.

Comment

The best combo for pic's only is, IMHO:
                            Alchemy, Runemaster, Artificer. Artifacts cost 3/4 less to make AND when you destroy them they give 2x the mana spent to make them AND it can be converted to gold to support a huge army if necessary(sometimes so on impossible) The only "downside" is you have to spread your spell picks between 3 relms(Life, Nature,{sorcery or chaos, either or} is the normal pic for me.)

Comment

With alchemy, there comes a point later in the game when you're rolling in the gold and therefore have plenty of mana for whatever you like. the point then becomes to cast those heavy spells then. the runelord/artificer combo becomes irrelevant in terms of mana generation.

and without some book investments, the big spells may be beyond you. of course, you can make some cool items for your heroes...

Comment

Working...
                              X