Armies are now actually usefull!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armies are now actually usefull!!

Has anyone noticed how usefull armies have now become? While I've always loved creating armies despite it's past controversy, I love making them more now.

With the 2 attack blitz capability plus the fact that you can now pillage with armies they may become the new Über unit.
    signature not visible until patch comes out.

Yes, warfare is more fun with these beasts. However, I've yet to see the AI deploy an army....
    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Well I've only played two games so far with my second game currently in the beginning of the industrial age.

I did notice the ai babs build an army in my first game. needless to say I didn't last very long as they had iron and I didn't.
      signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Yeah, I love the +1 movement, it makes it much more likely for me to mix up an army, say throw a spear into a horse army for some defense. I had a three javelin army that was quite powerful with its 2 moves...great for enslaving right and left.

Haven't tried pillaging with one yet.

Comment

Faster healing, extra movement and combat bonus makes them sweet. Not to mention you have less you can do with the MGL, so more likely to make an army. But then I was a big fan of them anyway.

Comment

They've gone from "nice to have, but not essential" to "must have, as many as possible".

Have the odds of generating a military GL been tweaked? I seem to have an awful lot of leaders in my current game, it may just be good luck with the RNG but I don't think I've ever had 5 leaders before 1000 AD before.
            Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
            I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Sound like great changes. In PtW I was caught a little off guard by how easily (certain) Armies could be taken down. I am particularly a fan of this “pillage and move” feature.
              "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

I also was, and am, a big fan of armies. Good city busters. You can take a bit more chances in leading the attack with an army. The extra additions in C3C are all gravy. I'm with vxma1, I was a big fan, now a bigger fan, of armies.
                Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

I used to not build armies unless there was absolutely nothing else worthwhile for me to do with the leader. But now, wow. Since you can't can't rush great wonders the choice to build armies is very easy; and with the blitz capability plus an extra move you can tear down a city's defenses just with one army.
                  "It takes you years to learn how to play like yourself." Miles Davis

Comment

Wait, armies get +1 moves and automatic blitz?

(starts worshipping marine armies)

Comment

I am only on my first epic gam, and have not gotten an MGL yet... CAN'T WAIT!!!
                      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Re: Armies are now actually usefull!!

Originally posted by Cookie Monster
                        Has anyone noticed how usefull armies have now become? While I've always loved creating armies despite it's past controversy, I love making them more now.

With the 2 attack blitz capability plus the fact that you can now pillage with armies they may become the new Über unit.
                        hi ,

they where always usefull , and they could pillage before , ......

they are good now on MP games , but a bit to strong when it comes to one human versus 30 AI's , ......

have a nice day
                        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Yeah and now that I'm placing my King units in armies with two "GhengisGuards" to protect them its much easier to keep all my Kings alive.

Comment

i love when you get crusader armies. a 5/3/2 blitz. and the units that already have 3 movement...
                            and dont forget the +1/6 to attack and deffence... and +1/4 with pentagon.
                            imagine, 4 elite MA in an army. it would be a 30/20/4 unit with 20 health and blitz.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X