Game speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game speed?

Just have a quick question. As much as I enjoy playing Civ3, I have found it hard to really get into due to the extremely long turns (AI takes forever). Now I know that this was a huge issue some time ago, but I have not found anything on the forums recently about this. I hope the reason is that this issue was taken care in a patch.

What is the current status of this, anyone?

There is only one answer to this, play with less civs (and smaller maps)

When do you start having problems?
    How many civs
    What size of map?
    What's your PC like?
    etc..
    Don't expect a patch though, it's a raw processor power issue
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

What do you call long wait? Is it minutes, seconds? If you jave lots of water and lots of civs, you will have many turns take tens of minutes even on the strongest PC.
      25 minutes is the longest I saw on 3.02GH with 1GB. It was 250 by 250 with 24 civs IIRC. Some turns only took a few seconds.
      If a new city was established, it was painful, if one was destroyed or changed hands, it was painful.

Comment

If harbour or airport was built, it was painful.

By the way vmxa1, have they improved this a little in Conquests?

Comment

I seriously doubt it.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I doubt it, but I have not played anything but std maps with 8 civs so far. That will not push my system regardless.

Comment

So basicly then we are limitted to playing smaller games (few civ, smaller map)? Thanks for the input...

Comment

Well I would not go that far. I mean huge maps with 16 civs and not all the water and islands you can get will probably fine on most system over 1 gig or so. It is adding more civs and non std maps (read larger the 160 x160) with islands that can pose a strain.

Comment

Working...
                X