How do you define terrorism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you define terrorism?

As they say "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter".

So, how do you define terrorism?

For me terrorism would be: the deliberate attempt succesful or unsuccessful to cause death and destruction among civilians for the purpose of creating fear and/or acheiving a political goal.
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Terrorism; a convenient label to slap on your enemies in order to discredit and demonise them.
    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

The institution that was formerly named School of America -- but I can't remember to what name they changed to.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Terrorism-an act of violence perpetuated by someone who is not me against someone who is me or against someone I don't particularly dislike.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

brown people.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Pekka -- try harder to be funny.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I'm sorry if that offended you. I just thought it would fit so good with the other answers.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                The institution that was formerly named School of America -- but I can't remember to what name they changed to.

Osama Bin Laden's One Stop Bomb Shop?
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Re: How do you define terrorism?

Originally posted by The diplomat
                  As they say "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter".
                  As in the game "Freedom Fighter": America was attacked by the Russians (And lost). The "Freedom fighters" attacked Russian soldiers, but was called Terrorists by Russia...

Though I'd define a terrorist as someone who goes after civilians, instead of going after those who caused the terrorist pain (Or whatever reason they're attacking)
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

ok a new try:

A group or organisation, whose main target is civilians to further their own political agenda against legal and recognized country/group.
                    In da butt.

Comment

I agree with diplomat: It's an attempt to achieve a political goal by way of attacking the civilian population.

Comment

I don't perceive terrorism to be necessarily aimed at civilians only. Flying a plane into the White House would qualify as an act of terror as well. So would shooting down the plane carrying the Sec. Gen of the UN. Or detonating a nuclear device at a naval base. Just to give some examples.

Comment

Back to the greek origins of the word terrorism means authority through the instilment of terror. and it really is that simple and broad.

Comment

"terrorists are evil people and evil people can't stand free people and we are free people so even though we kill more civilians than them we are good free patriots who love freedom and spread democracy because they are evil people and evil bad are bad"
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

So governments cannot engage in terrorism? Ask the peoples who suffered at the hands of Stalin. I believe it was called the terror.

How about protestant thugs firebombing a house of a mixed Catholic/Protestant couple and killing three boys. Ah, yes, since that's the majority with a minimal attempt to enforce laws against their own thugs, those are paras, or paramilitaries. Or death squads.

How about governments who drop bombs on purely civilian targets? Like the US government during the coal field strikes of the 30's. Oh, that's different.

A few of you have attempted definitions that include those groups, like paiktis22 (hope you read my reply to your marraige thread, by the way I still haven't slept, now I'm really zoned). Some of you haven't. The majority routinely uses "terror" to impose it's will on inconvenient or irritating minorities, especially ones who want silly things like equal rights or to keep their own language. Then they respond with terror, funny thing. Violence begets violence. Osama actually belongs with the governmental groups, in that he wants to impose his will with terror. He just doesn't have a country again, yet.
                              The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                              And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                              Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                              Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                              X