Javelin Thrower enslave too strong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Javelin Thrower enslave too strong?

I have not play much with this civ, but so far it seems to always enslave defeated units. I am sure it won't stay that way, but it seems very strong to get slave after slave.
    I forsee Fane7 using raging barbs and building massive armies of slaves.
    Are they free of maint as the normal slaves? If they had some cost, it would act as a breaker.

I played the Mayans last night and had more workers than I knew what to do with. Maybe 1/3 of the time, a victory meant another slave worker. It definetly helped me wipe the competition away...booming cities of production!
    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

yes, it's 1/3 odds, and yes, they're free.

in my first mayan game i actually farmed two barb camps, ended up with like 30 barb slaves.
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

So that sounds a bit too strong to me. Probably a canidate for a tweak.

Comment

Reversing this advantage...

I sent obsolete units to die vs the jav chuckers. Then I would kill the jav chuckers to get my workers back.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
            Reversing this advantage...

I sent obsolete units to die vs the jav chuckers. Then I would kill the jav chuckers to get my workers back.
            twisted!

Comment

Did they become full-fledged card-holding members of your civ, or did they trade slavery under the Mayans for slavery under your mighty paw?
              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Although I do not have the game yet, I was thinking about this idea of harvesting barbarian camps by sticking some Javelin Throwers around it and taking out barbarians when they come along. I am glad to see someone has put this into practice
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

possible fixes to put in the next patch: no enslaving of barbarians, and javalin throwers only enslaving when attacking.

Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

But that would spoil the che...*ahem*...fun
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

You just had a good day with the RNG, fellas. It's only 1/3 - you'll notice it a lot more when you go 40 units without a single slave. Even money says in less than two weeks we see the mirror image of this thread going up, saying that it doesn't work often enough, and needs a tweak.

As for playing with raging barbs, that's like anything else - if you set the map to favor expansionists by making it a huge pangea with sedentary barbs, that's going to give some civs an advantage too.
                        Friedrich Psitalon
                        Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
                        Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Also, the Maya have an expensive unit.

What would happen if you didn't have any resources? You would have to pay 30 shields for a 2 attack. You might get some workers, but it would be harder to win a war.
                          Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

i have actually had trouble enslaving workers (not counting barbs), ive found for me its about 1/5 when it comes to enslaving units. just my observations though
                            "I came, I saw, and.....then I went home."

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
                              Did they become full-fledged card-holding members of your civ, or did they trade slavery under the Mayans for slavery under your mighty paw?

So...any answer here?
                              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Working...
                              X