Rest in Peace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rest in Peace

To long time forum followers you've probably read many of my musings dealing with the history of game development here in my neighborhood. Just received this article from one of my GD subscriptions:
    November 5, 2003

Atari Closes Ex-MicroProse Studio
    Representatives of French publisher Atari have confirmed that the company has closed down its Hunt Valley development studio, now that work on Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes is complete. All thirty-five jobs at the studio will go, although the company has indicated that the services of a few key staff could be retained elsewhere.

The studio was previously known as MicroProse, before it was bought by Habsro Interactive and then Atari (nee Infogrames). As such it was responsible for a number of classic PC titles, including Sid Meier’s Civilization, Pirates! and Railroad Tycoon.

-David Jenkins
    Last edited by Kahn; November 9, 2003, 00:52.
    Kahn

I also believe they own Wizard of the Coast.
    By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

Hasbro does, not Atari...don't know which "they" you meant.
      If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

Originally posted by Stormhound
        Hasbro does, not Atari...don't know which "they" you meant.
        It Hasbro own Wizard of the coast than Atari have than lot to say about how the Wizard of the coast is run which why they are getting the right to make D&D games. There where afew case where for two companies to mergre one or both have to sell off or make independence divions they own to avoid anti-trust legal problen.
        By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

Hasbro wasn't bought out by Infogrames/Atari. They only sold off their computer games division (Hasbro Interactive). Atari doesn't have squat to say about how WOTC is run.
          If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesBHoff
            It Hasbro own Wizard of the coast than Atari have than lot to say about how the Wizard of the coast is run which why they are getting the right to make D&D games.
            I believe TSR still does D&D. Of course they are owned by WOTC > Hasbro. Sounds like too many captains steering the same ship.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Which is so rare in corporate mega-conglomerates these days...

Comment

Originally posted by Stormhound
                Which is so rare in corporate mega-conglomerates these days...
                Which why conglormerate rarely do as well in profiet compare
                to than more forcus company. I remember in the 1970's than big defence conglomerates took over than foodstores chain than they want than 400 % markup on all foods sold in the chain, the orginate owner said they where cazy so they fire him. Three month later they have to rehire him back with than larger salary. Supermarket only make than 1/2 cent pure profiet on each gallon of milk they sell. Back then than gallon of milk was price at about 1 dollar in very supermarket in the area they where in. Raise the price to 4 dollar than gallon make they cousten go elsewhere to buy they food. They have to throw away bad milk and meat which they cannot sell or sent back to get they money back as there was no meat recall in effect. The former owner of the supermarket chain explain to then that he make than lot of money sell milk at than profit of 1/2 penny per gallon as he sold 10 million gallon of milk a week. No body buy 10 million jet fighter a week so than jet fighter manufactor need than highter markup to make money. The
                supermarket make 2.6 million pure profit each year selling about 520 million gallon of milk ayear.

Comment

While Storm and I may not see eye-to-eye all the time, he's on the mark here. As much as I wish Hasbro would sink back into the green goo that it rests upon, Hasbro itself is very much alive and well. Hasbro Interactive (which included the former Microprose, Atari and Avalon Hill) were bought by Infogrames in Jan. 2001 for about 1/10 it's book value after languishing in limbo for over a year after Hasbro shut the division down due to poor sales.
                  Kahn

Comment

we already know about this.
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Also Micrpose mangent hold some blame for what happen when they try to quik the game makeing bussien to go into the game publican bussien where they have other company work on game they pub.

In One Up On Wall Street by Peter Lynch he state that when than company has too much money instead of return some of it to they stockholder they wasted it on takeing over other bussien's or going into bussienes they know nothing bout.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                        we already know about this.
                        Just clarifying for the newbees in our viewing audience.
                        Kahn

Comment

oh - that's alright then
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

And for peeps like me who forget from one week to the next who ate who
                            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                            H.Poincaré

Comment

Working...
                            X