conquests.ini Pregame Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conquests.ini Pregame Settings

For those of us who don't regularly remove and replace the games on our harddrives I thought I would start a reminder forum for all those flags that can be set in the conquests.ini file. Just to be safe I uninstalled Civ3 and PTW, then reinstalled Civ3 and C3C (with PTW), but this lost me my *.ini file. There are a variety of flags that can be set there for game (software) and game (AI) behaviour to name two. - Please post below other *.ini flags so we can document them all - i.e. are there any new to Conquests?

KeepRes=1
    This setting causes Civ3 to keep the monitor setting that you run windows in. Note: It will go to a different resolution for the movie, but return for gameplay. Most infoscreens and the startgame screen will not fill the screen now, but map in the game will be at your normal resolution now

NoAIPatrol=1
    (A post about this setting in General jogged my memory that there were other settings I had lost) - As it sounds, this causes the AI to stop 'patrolling' it's borders for what seem like hours on end. With this startflag it should park them in a city and wait patiently to be attacked (hehe)

WindowsFileBox=1
    This forces civ to use a standard MS Windows file dilaog for all file operations. This is very useful as it allows you to rename, delete, copy, sort, etc. from within the game. Note: This ini setting was already in my conquests.ini file, but was set to 0.

Max Autosaves=#
    The default is 5, but this allows you to setup a different number of autosaves to keep. I have mine set to 10 now.

PlayIntro=0
    This causes the opening movie to be skipped.

VideoMode=1280
    This causes Civ to use the selected video mode. - Useful for when you don't want to play C3C at your desktop resolution or you don't want to play civ at the standard 1024x728. I haven't used this one but I assume that the video mode is set by only using the first part of the resolution choice.
    Only the following resolutions are supported with this command:
    1024x768
    1152x864
    1280x1024
    1600x1200
    1792x1344

Any Other Settings?

As more setting show up, I will edit them into the top post.

Thanks and credits go to those below who've posted these gems for all to use.

Thanks All

Kevin P.
    Last edited by Backpack; November 10, 2003, 12:32.
    ---- "What gunpowder did for war, Blake has done for the AI" - Diadem ----

My favorite is:

WindowsFileBox=1

This forces civ to use a standard MS Windows file dilaog for all file operations. This is very useful as it allows you to rename, delete, copy, sort, etc. from within the game.
    Seemingly Benign
    Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Originally posted by WarpStorm
      My favorite is:

WindowsFileBox=1

This forces civ to use a standard MS Windows file dilaog for all file operations. This is very useful as it allows you to rename, delete, copy, sort, etc. from within the game.
      I like that one too. Only downside is the bug that makes the game crash if you double opens one (i.e you click on the load game icon on the title screen, and it's slow, so you click again and voila the game crashed)

Also you select save, clicks on the map and selects save again.

(Not sure if it's fixed in C3C, but it isn't fixed in PTW)
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

My favorite is:

WindowsFileBox=1
        Sweet - And Here I never heard of that one before.

Kevin
        ---- "What gunpowder did for war, Blake has done for the AI" - Diadem ----

Comment

* Added ability to set number of autosaves in INI file using "Max Autosaves=#" where # is the number of autosaves to use (the default is 5).

As mentioned here:

Originally posted by Mike Breitkreutz FIRAXIS
          More missing from the readme (at least I didn't see them listed):

* Editor: Added compression to BIC files. Use View->Options to disable.

* Added ability to set number of autosaves in INI file using "Max Autosaves=#" where # is the number of autosaves to use (the default is 5).

Comment

Wow - never thought of looking for things like this.

Is there a max to any of these settings that is know, like the autosaves?
            Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

I don't use autosave, but it would be nice if they put all of the INI entries in the readme.

Comment

wasn't there one that skipped the intro movies? i need that one.
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

PlayIntro=0
                  Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Question: If you set the NoAIPatrol to 1 later in the game, will the AI stop patrolling, or will it save the previous setting?

(Tried setting it from the beginning, but noticed that some of the AI players I'd encountered didn't seem to be exploring and expanding as much as they had before this flag was put in...)
                    |"Anything I can do to help?" "Um. Short of dying? No, can't think of a |
                    | thing." -Morden, Vir. 'Interludes and Examinations' -Babylon 5 |

Comment

My favorite is:

WindowsFileBox=1

sweet!

I always hate having to exit civ3 when I want to do that stuff. I could alt-tab, but it doesn't always seem to update the inside civ3.

Comment

Is there an ini setting to change the game's resolution from 1024x768 ( the default one) to something else (for ex. 1280x1024), without changing my monitor's resolution ?
                        "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                        --George Bernard Shaw
                        A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                        --Woody Allen

Comment

IIRC
                          KeepRes=1
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

No, you didn't understand me.

My screen res is 1024 x 768 but I'd like to try/play Civ3 under 1280 x 1024, without changing my screen res. Is this possible?
                            "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                            --George Bernard Shaw
                            A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                            --Woody Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Tiberius
                              No, you didn't understand me.

My screen res is 1024 x 768 but I'd like to try/play Civ3 under 1280 x 1024, without changing my screen res. Is this possible?
                              Add the line
                              VideoMode=1280

Only the following resolutions are supported with this command:
                              1024x768
                              1152x864
                              1280x1024
                              1600x1200
                              1792x1344
                              Mike Breitkreutz
                              Programmer
                              FIRAXIS Games

Comment

Working...
                              X