Editing Conquests Scenarios is Impossible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing Conquests Scenarios is Impossible

Has anyone noticed it is impossible to edit a conquests scenario?? I have tried several times to make minor changes to several of them to make them more enjoyable for me (such as turning off cultural conversions, changing whatever victory conditions so that the games will last longer, allowing the human to play as certain civs which are not initially available to human control, etc.) and then I will save these changes in the editor.

When I go to play these edited conquest scenarios in the game, I find that they are back to normal (i.e. my changes have all been lost), and when I re-open the scenarios in the editor, I find that somehow the changes which I made to the scenarios are all gone.

I have even tried editing the scenarios and saving them under different filenames, and to no-avail, changes that I make to any Civ3 conquest scenario are never saved.

Did the the Civ team somehow make their scenarios "tamper-proof" in order to somehow protect their copyright rights???

If so this is a horrible idea, because it means we cannot make the slightest changes to any of these scenarios, if simply to increase our enjoyment (for example I would love to play the Fall of Rome scenario without the 8 city elimination requirement, simply as a pure conquest game, I have tried to remove this elimination requirement from the conquest but these changes are never saved!)

Hopefully I am mistaken and somebody out there can tell me what I am doing wrong, cause if i am right then this reeealllly sux ....

I haven't tried yet...

Just a thought, but have you tried using "Import" to pull the scenario data into a new scenario file? Maybe that would work.
    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Not true. I've created - and played - a Dutch Human Civ variant for the Pacific War scenario. That said, the first time I tried this it didn't work. I think it has something to do with using the "Apply" button. I recommend making a copy of the .biq file FIRST (for example "5 Mesoamerica (Olmecs).biq" and making changes to that.

Happy Hunting!
      To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

if you look, there is a version in the conquests folder and another one in the scenarios folder. edit the one in the scenarios folder, and then play it by going to civ-content instead of conquests from the c3c main menu.

Comment

I think I remember reading that scenario's cannot be edited, I think there are some hard-coded things for each scenario; most likely I am wrong tho
          be free

Comment

Hey Sn00py! First mod I did to the game was add your graphics. At first I started playing without them - ugh.

They really should put you on the payroll.
            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

I think I remember reading that scenario's cannot be edited, I think there are some hard-coded things for each scenario; most likely I am wrong tho
              and they told us all scenarios were made by just using the editor. typical.
              Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

All of our scenarios can be modded in the editor. The quote above is not true.

Just be careful, because we have shipped TWO versions of each Conquest. The single-player version resides in the Conquests folder. The multiplayer version resides in the Scenarios folder (and should have an extra MP in the name).

To tweak a single-player Conquest, the best procedure is to:

1. Copy the file from the Conquests folder into the Scenarios folder (note it will NOT write over the multiplayer version because of that MP in the name of the file that was already there).

2. Double-click on this newly copied file in the Scenarios folder.

3. Make any desired changed in the editor and save.

4. Access your new version from the Civ Content entry on the main menu. By sure to select the file name WITHOUT MP in it.

In this way you can modify the Conquest and preserve BOTH of our original files.
                BreakAway Games
                Producer, Civ 3: Conquests

Comment

Cool. I didn't think that anything looked hard-coded, but it's good to know.
                  "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

I modded mine to use 'proper' graphics.
                    Seemingly Benign
                    Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Originally posted by WarpStorm
                      I modded mine to use 'proper' graphics.
                      I didn't do that -- I just replaced the terrain art with yours!
                      I had already started a game, and it was SOOO irritating to not have Sn00py's or your graphic mods installed.

Comment

Ah ... i was trying to change the MP scenario instead of the one in the conquests version .... all is looking good now maybe the world isnt over

Comment

One other note as well.

If you do make a copy of one of the Conquests, and then place it in your scenarios folder, make sure that under the scenarios properties tab in the editor, you change the link to the game file.

The Conquests all have their own custom folders.

Comment

See, I told you I was wrong
                            be free

Comment

mod shmod
                              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                              X