X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wes Clark lays out Iraq plan

A new course needed in Iraq
    By Wesley Clark, 11/6/2003

MY 34 YEARS in the Army taught me to steel my spine, but not my heart, whenever I hear news of American casualties. On Tuesday I read about Sergeant Ernest Bucklew, who was headed home to attend his mother's funeral when his Chinook helicopter was shot out of the sky en route to Baghdad. Fifteen American soldiers died alongside him.

For the sake of every member of our armed forces, we need a plan to end the conflict in Iraq. Retreat is not an option. Withdrawal would be a disaster for America, a tragedy for Iraq, and a crisis for the world. It would destroy our credibility, give terrorists a new haven, and throw the Middle East into greater turmoil. No matter how difficult it will be, we need a "success strategy."

Success won't be easy, but only success can honor the sacrifice of our soldiers and allow the troops to come home. Success means that Iraq is strong enough to sustain itself without outside forces. Success means that representative government has taken root. Success means that Iraq's economy and civil society are healthy again.

Congress just gave the administration an $87 billion check to continue down the path that we're on. But President Bush still has no strategy to succeed. I do. Here's my "success strategy":

End the American monopoly.

We must call a summit of the leaders we've alienated, the people whose advice we've scorned, the organizations whose assistance we've turned down. Out of this gathering, we can build a new organization to replace the Coalition Provisional Authority and internationalize the face of the occupation.

To guide the reconstruction of Iraq, we need a civilian from an allied country. That civilian official would report to an international council, composed of representatives from nations that support our efforts to build a democratic Iraq.

As we saw in the Balkans, when we share power, other countries share our burden. I would transform the military occupation into a NATO operation with US forces in charge. With US command, NATO authority, and UN endorsement, other NATO countries would send troops, and Arab countries would also step in.

Find the right force mix.

The more conventional forces we have, the more logistics we need. The more unarmored Humvees on patrol, the more unnecessary American deaths from roadside bombs.

Better border protection.

To stanch the flow of foreign jihadists into Iraq, we must seal the borders. That requires assistance from Iraq's neighbors. Using carrots and sticks, we can persuade these countries to cooperate.

Secure ammunition.

Weapons dumps throughout Iraq are unguarded. It is estimated that 500,000 tons of ammunition is still not secure. We must patrol these sites and destroy these weapons.

More intelligence resources.

Success in Iraq depends on developing good information and a good rapport with civilians. Right now too many of our linguists and intelligence experts are working on the search for weapons of mass destruction. International inspectors should take over that search, which would free up enough experts to help us track down those who are killing our soldiers and creating chaos.

Formidable Iraqi security forces.

We should recall the Iraqi Army to duty right now. If given good pay, good training, and solid background checks, Iraqi civilians can also help fill the intelligence and security gap.

Give the Iraqis a rising stake in our success.

It would be wrong to transfer authority to the Iraqis before they are ready to succeed, but we can give Iraqis more control over their destiny. The administration says the Iraqis can't have a sovereign government without a constitution. This is backwards. Iraqis, appointed by representatives from Iraq's 50 elected regional councils, should name an interim government even while a constitution emerges. That is what our Founding Fathers did.

If we give the interim government control over oil revenues and transfer authority on an ongoing basis, it will be easier for the Iraqi people to see that those blowing up pipelines are sabotaging their future. If we give civilians a stake in stemming the violence, they will help us solve this problem.

As of today, 383 of our soldiers have been killed in action.

When he died, Sergeant Bucklew was only 33. In Fort Carson, Colo., his wife and two sons are grieving. Not a single soldier from Fort Carson died before May 1, when President Bush declared an end to major combat. More than 20 Fort Carson soldiers have died since.

It is unconscionable to allow our country to continue staggering down the track that we're on in Iraq. Bush keeps saying we need to "stay the course." We need to change the course. With a strategy to succeed, our armed forces will turn things around.

Wesley Clark, a retired general, is a Democratic candidate for president.

© Copyright 2003 Globe Newspaper Company.

Discuss...
    To us, it is the BEAST.

first of the democrats to have a coherent plan.

that counts for something.
    B♭3

Comment

Change the course, to what?

I hate people that whine and moan, yet offer up no viable alternatives.
      Not even after the fact.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning..."

Why does he remind me of that guy?

Wesley Clark should of learned that in the military you don't question authority, and that you trust in your best men to do the best job. It ain't like Bush is the one drawing up the strategies, we have ppl in the Pentagon to do that.

I don't like Clark, though I like his attitude (seems to be an all-American), but I still ain't voting for him.
        Monkey!!!

Comment

why isn't allowing international weapons inspectors to free up our intel to protect our boys viable?
          B♭3

Comment

Some of the ideas are good. Others, like "sealing" the iraq border and the ammo dumps, are unworkable
            "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

The "weapons inspectors" weren't worth anything; and if they had been, they were still not given the information BY HUSSEIN, to do their job.
              And it still was 12 years late in coming.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Double post.
                Last edited by Dinner; November 6, 2003, 13:38.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                  I hate people that whine and moan, yet offer up no viable alternatives.
                  then you must like Clark... he lists his policy right here...
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                    It ain't like Bush is the one drawing up the strategies, we have ppl in the Pentagon to do that.
                    Japher you are wrong. The administration is the one who's made EVERY SINGLE one of the political choices which have made things so difficult. By refusing to give concessions to the UN or to allies who would, potentially, be risking the lives of thousands of soldier the administration has created the current mess. For all of his failures Clinton was a good diplomat who was skilled at building consensus & coalitions. Bush is the antithesis of a good diplomat and that's why I feel he is unsuitable for handling a situation like this.

Over all he's doing a worse job the LBJ did in Vietnam. LBJ at least was able to get large numbers of countries to contribute significant amounts of troops and to build South Vietnam into a creditable military and political power. By this time in the Vietnam War we knew the enemy's order of battle, their leadership structure, where they were getting their arms & money, and what their political goals were. Today we don't know any of this with certainty in Iraq.

Clark has it right. We need to eat crow for Bush's mistake of insulting allies then we need to give up a share of the power to allies if we want them to help secure Iraq. Plus we need to have elections in Iraq with in 3-6 months. Why? Because right now every time the power goes out or the water doesn’t work the people blame America for not doing its job. If we had a functioning local government then the people would have someone else to blame all of their petty problems upon instead of us. Plus the key to defeating guerrilla insurgencies is to 1) build up a network of local informants so you will have the intelligence to root them out, and 2) to satisfy enough of their under laying demands so that the people will cease to support them and instead begin to report them to the police and/or military. There is no way we, as foreigners, will be able to do as good (not to mention a better job) a job at either of these tasks as a local government.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Japher you are wrong.
                      Drats...

Oerdin: when are you going to Monterey? If you ever have free time( yeah right) let me know, or if you want to go AWOL I can be there in an hour...
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Over all he's doing a worse job the LBJ did in Vietnam. LBJ at least was able to get large numbers of countries to contribute significant amounts of troops and to build South Vietnam into a creditable military and political power. By this time in the Vietnam War we knew the enemy's order of battle, their leadership structure, where they were getting their arms & money, and what their political goals were. Today we don't know any of this with certainty in Iraq.

1. large numbers of countries - er Australia, Thailand, and South Korea. Three. Compared to that Britain, Italy, Poland, Ukraine, Netherlands look pretty good.

2. Order of battle - we knew the VC order of battle - every guerrilla and sympathizer in every town and city? We're facing several thousand insurgents in Iraq. There were probably at least as many in VN we didnt know about (6 months in, 1965)- of course there were many MORE that we DID know about - cause that was on a much larger scale.

3. Political goals - er thats, right, cause the NVA and VC were a serious political movement that HAD political goals, which appealed to a very large portion of the South Viet Namese people, and who publicized their goals in order to win the hearts and minds of said people. The insurgents in Iraq are NOT publicizing any political goals - as far as I can tell because such goals as they possess have little or NO appeal to the Iraqi people. Their goal is not to WIN OVER the Iraqi people but to frighten them out of supporting the coalition. Dont expect any "model villages" from these folks. The Iraqis already now what "model" to expect.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Japher you are wrong. The administration is the one who's made EVERY SINGLE one of the political choices which have made things so difficult. By refusing to give concessions to the UN or to allies who would, potentially, be risking the lives of thousands of soldier the administration has created the current mess. For all of his failures Clinton was a good diplomat who was skilled at building consensus & coalitions. Bush is the antithesis of a good diplomat and that's why I feel he is unsuitable for handling a situation like this.
                          Bush is a poor diplomat - I can buy that. But i see no evidence that Clark is a good one. and i doubt a good diplomat could have gotten France and Russia along in any case.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Sava, do you know the meaning of rhetoric?

For instance, Clark saying "We should recall the Iraqi Army to duty right now. If given good pay, good training, and solid background checks, Iraqi civilians can also help fill the intelligence and security gap."

Very agile-minded.
                            Like Bush hasn't been calling for this from the beginning.

Can you not find another dead horse to beat?
                            This one is unrecognizeable by now.

Comment

some good stuff. some unworkable stuff.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X