Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civ 2 for mac - graphically better than the windows version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm. I was under the impression that Civ II worked fine under the Classic environment in 10.3 (but not 10.2 or less).

BTW, did the missile code I gave you help any (or will it down the road)?

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

It does, but the newer computers don't come with OS 9.2 preinstalled so you have to track down a copy.

That's why I want to try and figure out how to carbonize them.

The missile code will help, I just haven't had any time to use it yet.
      I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

FlameFlash:

That's odd. Earlier in this thread I was told that Civ II works smoothly in the Classic shell used by 10.3 to run older apps. But 10.2 and lower were rougher ...

Gatekeeper
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

Nope, they still run smoothly here too (in X.2)

The problem comes from the fact that the newer Macs don't have 9.2 pre-installed so the Classic shell is useless until you find a disk.

Comment

Mine battled in 10.2 but flies in 10.3.
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Good grief. I'm going to a PC ...

Let's see: 10.3 comes with a shell capable of emulating the 9.x environment, but unless you can find a copy of 9.x to install physically, the shell won't work?

Gods almighty. Yep, I'm going to a PC or sticking with my ancient iMac 333mhz.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Sorry to burst your bubble Gk...

Comment

Originally posted by FlameFlash
                  Nope, they still run smoothly here too (in X.2)

The problem comes from the fact that the newer Macs don't have 9.2 pre-installed so the Classic shell is useless until you find a disk.
                  Try looking at the Software Install (Restore) disk.

One of the options is to install the Classic environment. I just don't think they do it by default.

Comment

/me shrugs.

All I know is that I'll be digging out my ol' OS 9 disk that came with my current system when I get a new one. I still have the 9.2.2 disk images too.

Comment

Huh. I was over at the MacCentral forums and the folks there said the Classic environment is more than enough to run older apps ... meaning you don't need the actual 9.x OS, the Classic shell is enough.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Hang on... there's a Classic 'shell' as well?

So theoretically I could uninstall OS 9 and everything would be okay?

Comment

That's the distinct impression I was left with ...

Comment

Well, when/if I get a new comp, I'll try it out prior to installing OS 9

Comment

Wouldn't it be kind of funny if, all this time, you've been installing OS9.x when it really wasn't needed?

Comment

Fortunately I haven't needed to as it just gets carried over to the next interation.

Comment

Working...
                                X