Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civ 2 for mac - graphically better than the windows version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ 2 for mac - graphically better than the windows version?

First off, I want to say that when it comes to civ 1, NO QUESTION - the mac version was MUCH better graphically. I don't even understand how dos / win3.1 users were able to stand it! My question is this: have you people also noticed an increased graphical splendour in the macintosh version of civ 2? Oh sure, the difference is less than in civ 1, but generally I find the colors to be brighter, the edges crisper, and the animations and videos (council and wonder movies) to be smoother. What are your experiences?

Also, does anyone remember how amazing Civ 2 looked when it came out?? I was floored... When that viking 3D animated hottie first popped out of the screen... wow!
    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
    Drake Tungsten
    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
    Albert Speer

I cannot make a fair comparison, as I've only had the pleasure of the enjoying Civ II on the Macintosh platform. Personally, I still think the graphics hold up fine even today, years after it's release.

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

The only difference I've noticed are the wonder/advisor movies.
      Anything else than this has to be the monitors or something as the units, etc are identic in their game files on the pc and mac versions...
      No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

It seems better to me. I have always been just a pc player up until a month ago. At my new job, they are a mac shop, so I got an Ibook of my own. I loaded Civ II for the mac, and have been able to play it side by side to my PC in MP mode. It looks sharper, but I haven't really noticed any other major differences. But I never even bothered loading the movies.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah, I think it is just ever so slightly sharper. I think the swamps look better, and the city name font looks better.

I guess the most striking comparison is in the original civ.

God, how I loved that game!
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

I agree, though when CivII:ToT came out it took over that place as the prettiest CivII...
            I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

But Civ II is probably the most playable Civ on either a PC or a Mac
              Keep on Civin'

Comment

Some would disagree *cough* Civ 3 *cough*

Comment

From an MP stand point, it's not even close. Civ II forever
                  Keep on Civin'

Comment

For MP probably Civ 2. But with Conquests I think the Civ 3 MP will be improved a bit. Anyway I don't want to threadjack so I will get back to the subject. Yes, I do believe that the graphics are a bit improved. Not an incredible amount but still an amount.

Edited for spelling mistakes.

Comment

I'd like to see a screenshot of the Mac version, if you please.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

If I don't get it out soon, somebody will.

Comment

Nobody seems to be in a hurry..........

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

That's for sure... poke this thread again over the weekend and maybe when I get the reminder I'll post.

Comment

I don't know one way or another, but here's a screen capture from me starting a new game just for the purpose of getting it up here...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X