Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Landing Comparison Game #6

Early Landing Comparison Game #6

First, I would like to dedicate this game to Scouse Gits(2). Without his encouragement and prodding, I doubt I would ever have written a guide for EL games and gone on to host comparison games. At that time, we were conducting a lively correspondence by email and my life was enriched by our friendship.

It seems fitting that we are now due to play an orange civ, and that the English happen to be this color, so I went into my rules.txt and looking for Henry VII and replaced the name of this lecherous scoundrel with that of Scouse Gits(2), so that England might have a ruler with more class and wit.

The island we are starting on looks a little bit like England, too, and the settlers happen to start off in the vicinity of Liverpool, although the SSC site at (87,49) is closer to where London would be. I’m afraid England has slipped a bit too far south in this game, being partly on the Equator, but hey, I tried my best in locating a suitable start.

The deadline for this game will be December 31, and a copy of the EL rules are posted below. Don’t forget to enjoy your games and when deciding what to do with that hidden special remember that Ivor’s favorite beverage was wine and that he will be watching to see what you do!

Rules used for Comparison Games

a) The human player may not tip any huts. What’s a rule without an exception, so in the rare situation where a hut may block a player’s movement, the player must save the game, after which the hut is tipped enough times until it produces a military unit or a nomad, which must then be immediately disbanded. Huts appearing in a radius of any city can be destroyed without reaping any benefit by placing a citizen on the hut’s tile while in the city display.

b) Since the game attempts to prevent caravan and freight re-homing, this exploit is not allowed. Any other ploy or exploit is allowed.

c) As a minimum each player should provide a summary of their game, using the format provided with each game start. Each player is also encouraged to keep a chronological log of their game, listing significant events. The addition of details describing the game and strategic decisions made while playing it add interest, so doing this is very much encouraged. Once a game is completed, a short game summary and the optional log should be posted in the game’s thread. Attached to this post should be a save of the game made showing a completed ship or one on the way to Alpha Centauri.

d) The player posting the best landing date before the deadline will be declared the winner of that game. If the date is the best so far attained in comparison games, it will become the new “official” record.

Summary Format

Governments
    Monarchy
    Republic
    Democracy
    Communism/Fundamentalism

Wonders
    HG
    MPE
    ST
    Colossus
    Copernicus
    Isaac's
    Leo's
    Michaelangelo's
    Darwin's
    SETI
    Apollo

SSC stats
    size 8
    size 12
    size 21
    max. size

Techs
    Trade
    Invention
    Railroad
    Automobile
    Nuclear Power
    Computers
    Flight
    Space Flight

Key civ contact

AC arrival

The table following each game will contain these stats. Of course, you may not end up building all wonders listed, or use all governments, so just keep track of dates relevant to your own game. More detailed logs and/or written accounts of games will be at the players' discretion. Add as little or as much as you want to the required summary.
    Attached Files

Solo,

Glad you are back. Good luck with this new challenge. Is this a suitable start for an OCC attempt??

Monk
    so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Hi Monk,

Good to see you back, too!

The start is suitable for OCC, too. Play the way you prefer, or try both types of games using it.

Comment

Get thee behind me Satan.

I will be quite busy with RL until after Christmas - but I don't suppose I'll be able to resist the chance to get a landing before 1850 at last. I've been experimenting recently with SSC sites that are mainly water tiles rather than having lots of specials. The theory is that the extra trade arrow from a lot of tiles makes up for loss of silk or wine. We'll see.

RJM at Sleeper's
        Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

RJM: Consider trying the GOTM 34 over at CFC. There is a decent OCC/SSC site close to the start with only 5 land tiles (looks like mostly Plains). The Specials are one Whale, two Fish, and one unknown (Whale under dark land). Should be something like you have been experimenting with. I gather you are shooting for Pottery and Seafaring early, perhaps KingRich too?

Comment

Originally posted by Elephant
            RJM: Consider trying the GOTM 34 over at CFC. There is a decent OCC/SSC site close to the start with only 5 land tiles (looks like mostly Plains). The Specials are one Whale, two Fish, and one unknown (Whale under dark land). Should be something like you have been experimenting with. I gather you are shooting for Pottery and Seafaring early, perhaps KingRich too?
            Don't put more temptation my way - I already spend more than enough time playing.

I prefer to avoid pottery (if I can get an early enough trade for seafaring). So far, I have usually been able to build the harbour in time for the WLTKD population explosion. I haven't tried KRC. I'm begining to realise that one of my mistakes is lack of production capacity in the end game, so it may be worth a try.

RJM at Sleeper's

Comment

Originally posted by rjmatsleepers
              Don't put more temptation my way - I already spend more than enough time playing.
              RJM at Sleeper's

And I thought I´m the only one!

Solo, any specification on the settings? Medium Size, Deity, Raging Hordes I assume?

Zenon

Comment

Originally posted by rjmatsleepers

I prefer to avoid pottery (if I can get an early enough trade for seafaring). So far, I have usually been able to build the harbour in time for the WLTKD population explosion. I haven't tried KRC. I'm begining to realise that one of my mistakes is lack of production capacity in the end game, so it may be worth a try.

RJM at Sleeper's
                Avoiding Pottery gives you better commodity choices, unless you install Samson's Dye/Copper patch which seems to help more cities demand Salt and Wool.

"WLTKD population explosion"? I use WLTKD to get Republic-style extra trade while still having three supported units and Settlers on a diet.

KRC has the advantage of giving one extra shield from every tile you are working, unlike Colossus which gives you extra trade only from tiles that already have at least one. KRC shines in OCC cities with lots of water: it is like an Offshore Platform available in the BC era. You can rearrange your tech plan to delay its demise a bit, but if you put it in right after getting Eng you will have awesome production while WLing the city up. There is also minimal early pollution, as documented by Startlifter at CFC a while back:

Supernaut asked about the details of pollution, particularly as it pertained to research... So... the following is the mathematics of how pollution is computed in Civ 2. It may be difficult to readily follow at first, but here it goes (at the end of the equations is a Key which defines the...

Comment

Er, yeah. Thanks for posting a link to a thread with a spammy reply from myself in. Starlifter was a great guy, and a valuable source of knowledge. It's worth reading more of his posts on your next CFC visit.

Comment

We were all a little gushy back then...

Solo's deadline of Dec 31 makes this one even you can't miss, DoY. Up for some EL/OCC fun?

Comment

Zenon,

Those are the usual settings along with allowing civ restarts in EL games. It will be fun to play the next game using a start prepared by someone else.

If you are planning an OCC game, I know of no restrictions on the type of start used, since OCC results are only relevant to individual games.

For the game in this thread, it's up to players how they want to play it, either as EL or OCC. Your results will be listed in the appropriate category. It will be interesting to see how much longer it takes for one city vs. many using the same start.

Comment

solo,

Thank you for leaving RoN aside and starting this game.

I am very busy trying to beat all scenario records on the Spanish site, but you have chosen such a name for the ruler of the orange civ that I feel compelled to give it a try (with no hope of getting one of the best results, since I go on playing without black clicking and helper programs ).
                        Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Originally posted by Elephant

"WLTKD population explosion"? I use WLTKD to get Republic-style extra trade while still having three supported units and Settlers on a diet.
                          Yup - celebrating Monarchy is good; faster research and more gold from the vans. I just meant that once you start the republic / democracy celebration in an SSC with lots of water, you need to have a harbour.

KRC in a city with lots of water sounds like a jolly wheeze. I will try it in my experimental games. For this one, I think I'll simply try to put together everything that I think I've learned and see if that gets me to AC before 1850.

RJM at Sleeper's

Comment

I d/l'd this & will look into it -- also need to look at games 1-5 for a better perspective.

Speed is not my forte -- I tend to play a little safer than many (but not all.) Hopefully I'll provide some equity to the statistics

(signed)

New victim
                            Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

Originally posted by Old n Slow
                              I d/l'd this & will look into it -- also need to look at games 1-5 for a better perspective.

Speed is not my forte -- I tend to play a little safer than many (but not all.) Hopefully I'll provide some equity to the statistics

(signed)

New victim
                              I don't think you need to worry too much - I've taken the wooden spoon in every game I've finished so far. But every day in every way I'm getting better and better

RJM at Sleeper's

Comment

Working...
                              X