Why is moo3 so hard on easy is theis Game ****** or what

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is moo3 so hard on easy is theis Game ****** or what

Ive been playing Moo3 for about two mounths now and have as yet been able to take no planets. why is this game so hard on easy. Think thay should have pot an acadmy tutoral in for Newbes. Im about to through the disk in the bin.
    Blessed Be

The game does have a bit of a learning curve, though once you're over it you'll find "easy" to be very much so.

If you could go into a little more detail of what you were trying to do, we could probably help you.

Just to try to help, a few of questions, and please pardon me if some of them seem too dense, but I don't know where you're stuck just yet:
    1) Did you design and build any troop transport ships?
    2) Did you build any troops?
    3) Did you form any transport task forces by loading those troops, and if so, what troop types, what experience levels, and what formation sizes did you use?
    4) Did you move those task forces to the system with a planet you wanted to capture? If so, how many other task forces were there?
    5) After you assaulted the planet, did you order troops to land? (I find that personally issuing such orders helps ensure fewer undesired bombardments.)
    6) What sort of tactics did you use for ground battles, or did you let the AI handle those?

Somewhere along that chain there's a decent chance we can find your broken link. Just hang in there, and we'll get it welded for you.
    If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

Storm, it has been in my experience that sometimes the ground combat screws up.

I remember a few games which I invaded Orion itself and captured one planet. Then after that, I can't capture subsquent Orion planets, unless I moved my troops and all task forces out of Orion, then back to Orion for another round.

Same thing happens if I invade enemy planets (regular races).

Maybe this guy is having this problem?
      Geniuses are ordinary people bestowed with the gift to see beyond common everyday perceptions.

Comment

Ok and thanks for the kind words Im at wits end obviously. To answer your questions:
        1)Bult troop ships but didnt design Them was useing the troop ships that started with.
        2) yes i did
        3) yes I did. In the game I yust dumed I had mobiles with syops and other suport units. I was clickin auto build. I think ther experince laevals were at about Trained Im not to sure.
        4) yes I had amarders of Lr Sr Id And carriers had about 7 in a stack but they kept splitiing at the planet. also I was on par with science with the race I was at war with but keept having probs to remember to upgrad my ships and then by the time Id get the upgraded ships they woukd be out of date.
        8) I was doing the ground batels myself but would normly chose what the ai brught up becouse when I chose something elase I would lose even worse. I was a litle missleadinfg before. Ive actualy taken one planet wich lasted two turns.
        Blessed Be

Comment

Always go for the best-trained troops you've got. Experienced are better to have than just Trained.

Make sure that when you do the space combat, that you click on the little tab at the bottom of the screen and select a planet (preferably the weakest-defended one, unless you know you're going to clobber them easily). If you have to keep attacking over multiple turns, keep after the same planet until you get it. Otherwise, if you hit a different planet every turn you're going to get frustrated fast.

Okay, so you have trouble taking the planets...well, try invading with full Armies of whatever your best troops are, along with support units (at least one of each different type you have). I've found the Pronged Attack works consistently the best for me, until I get Battleoids at which time the Vertical Envelopment is the way to go. Anyhow, hit them with numbers...don't try to do it cheaply, or it'll cost too much in the long run. If one Army doesn't seem to do it, drop two on them.

BTW, as you redesign combat ships, redo the troop ships too so they can keep speed on the interstellar jumps. No sense having to wait any longer than need be to get those troops on target; you're just giving the enemy time to regroup and throw ships back at your invading force. Oh, and give troop ships a little defense...every so often the enemy will target them, and that's quite annoying if they're built like paper bags.
          If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Comment

Hi there, Stormhound, old boy! How are you doing? Well, I trust? Once again many thanks for all your hints, including the music file one.

I have just started playing the 1.25 patched game. (I had reached game turn 1400 in my unpatched game when having husbanded 400 ships to invade a system found that the cursed Eiarariri were opposing me with 6,000! I kinda got discouraged and decided to call it a day!) And yes, I find also 'easy' in the patched version is prettty difficult! I have only reached turn 125 and the perfidious aliens are hitting me from all sides!

Can you give me a cheat for this, please? Say, can I modify any particular game file so I can start out with three home planets instead of one? I surely need them! I LOVE the way that 'Alpha Centauri' allows you in its Scenario Editor to start with an extra colony or two! Comes it mighty handy!

Conceptually, I still LOVE MOO3, despite its limitations. (I have tried Galatic Civilisations but ran aground there! It is so easy even early on to for your budget to go bust!) We weaker, or at least more pacific players, need all the help we can get!

Live long and prosper.

ChristopherC

Comment

If you really want to get into some serious discussions of how to mod games (something at which there are others FAR better than I), then go here:

Enjoy!

And thank you, I'm doing okay (though you may have noticed a change in my sig line).

Comment

please have a look at this ziped game save and tell me what im ding wrong . please
                Attached Files
                Blessed Be

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Stormhound. You are my Bible on MOO3!

And I am mightttyyyy glad to hear you are doing okay! You have always been there when I have had a question!

Your sig line? Gotta admit I am too dense to have noticed?

I was wondering if I could change, without catastrophe, one of the game files? Anyway, I will investigate your suggestion.

Live long and prosper.

ChristopherC.

Comment

Depends which file, and how you want to change it.

Comment

Probably best if I dont muck around with game files, Stormhound. I remember that you were offered the opportunity to do that with 'Alpha Centauri' but they said you should be careful as you could break your Operating System. 'Computers are sometimes surprising that way!'

My wish list, unlikely to fulfilled, would be for a scenario editor as they have in Alpha Centauri and also 'Race for the Stars'.

Aw shucks, I had probaby better reincarnate in hundred years time. You will then be able to ask your (voice-activated) computer 'Devise me a game on the Normandy Landings or, better still, on space conquest. Not too difficult now!' And the computer will diligently obey you. But I dont think I would want to reincarnate in two hundred years time... the machines would then probably be giving us orders and we would be in to 'Matrix' territory.

Live long and prosper.

Comment

Heh. I can't imagine any way in which altering the text files that get read in as game data could hose your OS.

Comment

Useing than hex editor on than savegame is more risker than
                          change than text file. There is than MOO3 MOD site you can find which have some Mod's which allow you to have than stronger race and etc.
                          By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormhound

Make sure that when you do the space combat, that you click on the little tab at the bottom of the screen and select a planet (preferably the weakest-defended one, unless you know you're going to clobber them easily). If you have to keep attacking over multiple turns, keep after the same planet until you get it. Otherwise, if you hit a different planet every turn you're going to get frustrated fast.
                            I never realized I could select planets to invade, i just let the AI choose a planet for me.

Can you take a screenie and show us which tab we need to access to pick a planet to invade?

thanks
                            AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
                            Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
                            Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

Working...
                            X