Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Woos Google

Everyone:

Well, well. Looks like we might end up with a repeat of the Netscape fiasco if this translates into reality. Read the story and contribute to this thread as you see fit afterwards (the bolding is mine, BTW).

Microsoft and Google: Partners or Rivals?

By JOHN MARKOFF and ANDREW ROSS SORKIN

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 30 — Wall Street is not the only one wooing Google. Microsoft is as well.

Google, the highflying Silicon Valley Web search company, recently began holding meetings with bankers in preparation for its highly anticipated initial public offering as it was still engaged in meetings of another kind: exploring a partnership or even a merger with Microsoft.

According to company executives and others briefed on the discussions, Microsoft — desperate to capture a slice of the popular and ad-generating search business — approached Google within the last two months to discuss options, including the possibility of a takeover.

While the overture appears to have gained little traction — Google indicated that it preferred the initial offering route, the executives said — it demonstrates the enormous importance that Google represents as both a competitive threat to Microsoft and as Silicon Valley's latest hope for a new financial boom.

Though seemingly spurned, Microsoft may still be interested in pursuing Google at a later date, according to an executive briefed on the discussions.

Both Google and Microsoft executives refused to comment.

Google, which was founded by two Stanford computer science graduate students in 1998 and quickly became one of the most popular Web sites in the world, has in recent weeks become the subject of intense speculation since it indicated to Wall Street that it hoped to sell shares of itself to the public sometime in the first half of next year.

Google's ability to stir Silicon Valley into a frenzy has also brought back memories here of Netscape, another start-up firm whose own initial public offering in 1995 helped touch off the dot-com explosion. Netscape once threatened Microsoft with a software browser that promised to be an alternative to its overwhelmingly dominant computer operating system.

Microsoft responded by significantly altering its business and adding its own browser as a free component of its Windows operating system, ultimately undercutting Netscape's business.

Google recently started whittling down a long list of investment banks it approached earlier this month about underwriting the offering, which could be worth from $15 billion to $25 billion, the executives said. The company, which maintains tens of thousands of computers to help locate information on the Web almost instantly, has also explored the idea of a so-called Dutch auction, bypassing Wall Street and selling shares directly to investors. Such an approach could give it distance from scandal-plagued investment banking deals of the dot-com era as well as create a huge base of small shareholders.

The auction route is said to appeal to Google's founders, Sergey Brin and Larry Page, who are known for their fascination in pursing technical solutions to many different kinds of problems.

But it appears that Google is more likely to take the traditional path of using Wall Street to sell its initial offering. It is still toying with the idea, executives said, of using an online auction for a possible secondary offering as a way to allow its millions of users to have a better opportunity to buy its shares.

The company is considering selling about a 10 to 15 percent stake to the public, which is expected to raise more than $2 billion to be used to invest in the business and generate wealth for its employees, venture capitalists and early investors. Among the banks still competing for the business are Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse First Boston, Citigroup, J. P. Morgan Chase and Thomas Weisel Partners, the executives said.

Morgan Stanley is viewed as the frontrunner, the executives said, though Google may choose two banks to lead the underwriting effort. Goldman Sachs is also viewed as a contender, the executives said, but Google's management has shown some concern about Goldman's close relationship with Microsoft and Yahoo, another major competitor.

Google has a clearly dominant position in Internet searching, which has served as the foundation of a fast-growing and highly profitable advertising business built around placing specific text ads close to Web queries on similar subjects. Its rapid revenue growth, however, has begun attracting large competitors like Yahoo, which has acquired Overture, a leading search ad provider. While Microsoft and Amazon.com are both considering getting into the business, the growth in Google's Adwords keyword business has, at least for now, started to slow, according to a person with knowledge of the company's business.

Microsoft as a search competitor could change the market's assessment of Google's value. Moreover, if Microsoft attempts to integrate Web search features directly into its coming Longhorn operating system, it could restart the bitter feud that led to the government antitrust case that grew out of Netscape's failure.

Partly in response, Google continues to explore new businesses to extend its reach into new markets and to find new sources of revenue. One such effort included approaching Friendster, a Silicon Valley social networking company that has recently grown rapidly, according to an executive briefed on the talks. Friendster has instead received a $13 million investment from a group of venture capitalists led by Kleiner Perkins and Benchmark Capital, an action that was first disclosed in The Wall Street Journal.

In Silicon Valley, executives and venture capitalists remain divided over the consequence of Google going public. Several people close to the two venture capital firms that are the major Google investors — Sequoia Capital and Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers — said that partners at the firms had been focusing closely on the timing of the Google offering, hoping to help jump-start a rebirth of the technology market of the 1990s.

But many other venture capitalists here say that Google is such a unique company that its offering, if and when it comes, is not likely to set off a similar train of events.

"There was a time we were all looking forward to Google," one venture capitalist said on Thursday. "But it's become such an unbelievable event that it is a juggernaut. I no longer believe that it will open up the I.P.O. market broadly."

John Markoff reported from San Francisco; Andrew Ross Sorkin from New York.
    Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Microsoft as a search competitor could change the market's assessment of Google's value. Moreover, if Microsoft attempts to integrate Web search features directly into its coming Longhorn operating system, it could restart the bitter feud that led to the government antitrust case that grew out of Netscape's failure.

How do you integrate a "search engine" into an OS? To the extent that this is possible, it has been done, in that when you type a non-URL into the address bar it uses MSN search.

Comment

Oh boy, I hope MS offers their search engine for free! It'd totally undercut Google's search engine, since you need to pay to use it !!
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

MS already DOES offer it's search engine for free

Comment

I know
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Yep, this is the next big thing for Microsoft, something that is going to alter the landscape the same way the browser wars did

Either Google is going to join them or there is going to be an all out war

This isn't the masterful stroke, however, that Microsoft is going to pull

You just wait until that happens Linux Geeks

MUWHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHA
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

How do you integrate a "search engine" into an OS? To the extent that this is possible, it has been done, in that when you type a non-URL into the address bar it uses MSN search.
              I don't know, but as soon as they figure out a way, Asher will be saying it's beneficial to the Internet for all users to use one search engine (MS's of course)
              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

mac. sherlock.
                windows. f3; or, xppowertoys, add a shortcut to the address bar to make it work like opera's.

as for msn search, i don't mind it, but i really don't like how the default behavior of any failed dns resolve leads you to a msn search page.
                B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                  Either Google is going to join them or there is going to be an all out war
                  I put my wager on a war.

That way, not even Boosh can protect Billg's hide from a swarm of anti-trust legal actions.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                    as for msn search, i don't mind it, but i really don't like how the default behavior of any failed dns resolve leads you to a msn search page.
                    This was one of the main reasons why I switched browsers. A move I'd advise to anybody
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

What happened with the Netscape antitrust suit? I missed the last episode.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

This was one of the main reasons why I switched browsers. A move I'd advise to anybody

oh, of course. opera is my main browser. i'm talking about at work, where the only thing deployed on those computers is ie.

i wanted to deploy mozilla, but after seeing how some teachers just couldn't wrap themselves around it... (sigh) :/
                        B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

I put my wager on a war.

That way, not even Boosh can protect Billg's hide from a swarm of anti-trust legal actions.
                          If you really want it

NOBODY has ever stood up to Microsoft and won
                          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                            NOBODY has ever stood up to Microsoft and won
                            Really?

You haven't been paying attention to the news in the last 2 to 3 years, Ted.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

ted's just shooting off his mouth again without knowing much about the topic at hand.

kinda like when he splooges over britney and we get hit with it on the threads.
                              B♭3

Comment

Working...
                              X