Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Victory for the 4 letter F word: You can now say the word on TV!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victory for the 4 letter F word: You can now say the word on TV!

Saturday, November 01, 2003
    By Eric Burns

We have come a long way.

Early in the 17th century in Jamestown, the first permanent British colony in the New World, cursing was considered a crime. For a first offense, a person was to suffer “severe punishment.” For a second offense, he was to have “a bodkin [a small, pointed instrument used to make holes in cloth or leather] thrust through his tongue.”

There would be no fourth offense; for the third, a curser would be put to death.

Now, early in the 21st century, the Federal Communications Commission (search) has decided that the most common, if also most crude, four-letter synonym for the sex act may be uttered on television---if, that is, it is used “properly.”

How do you say “f***” properly, you ask?

First, the background. On Jan. 19 of this year, on the nationally televised Golden Globes Awards (search) program, the singer Bono, (search) accepting an award, said either “this is really, really f***ing brilliant,” or “this is f***ing great.” As a result, 234 complaints were filed against the TV stations that carried the show, one of them from a watchdog group called the Parents’ Television Council (search).

As the FCC itself stated in something called a Memorandum Opinion and Order, “The complainants contend that such material is either obscene and/or indecent, and they request that the Commission levy sanctions against the licensees for the broadcast of the subject material.”

The FCC decided not to levy sanctions. In fact, the FCC decided to allow the word in question to be uttered on television without sanctions in the future. Here is the explanation, and I offer it at some length. The FCC used the actual word; it was my decision to add the asterisks:

“The word ‘f***ing may be crude and offensive, but, in the context presented here, did not describe sexual or excretory activities or functions. Rather, the performer used the word f***ing as an adjective or expletive to emphasize an exclamation. Indeed, in similar circumstances, we have found that offensive language used as an insult rather than as a description of sexual or excretory activity or organs is not within the scope of the Commission’s prohibition of indecent program content.”

So it was that the FCC decided to “reject the claims that this program content is indecent.”

In other words, it’s okay to say f*** on television if you’re not talking about f***ing.

It has been four centuries since the American colonists stuck a sharp object through the tongues of the foul-mouthed among them. Perhaps, in another four centuries, the word f*** will be so frequently uttered as to be inoffensive, virtually meaningless, and the FCC’s decision will seem a nadir of triviality. After all, when I was a child the word “piss” could not be spoken in polite company; these days, people who are polite company often confess, both on the air and in private, to being “pissed off.”

But in the short run, the FCC’s decision seems, at the very least, another victory for the dull-witted, scatalogically-minded men and women who run the entertainment industry in this country. For many years now, they have been confusing coarseness with creativity, their idea of a bold new program being one in which the characters swear more than characters in previous shows.

It is not original ideas they prize, not original dramatic situations or more profound examinations of the human comedy, not more literate and challenging scripts. It is, rather, old ideas, familiar situations, continued superficiality and vapid scripts---with a few more f***s thrown in for spice.

The FCC might have thought that it was simply allowing a curse word to be used in one particular setting. But the effect of the ruling will be to encourage all manner of curse words to be used in a greater variety of on-air settings than ever before.

Perhaps the commissioners should be sentenced to the bodkin.

Eric Burns is the host of Fox News Watch, which airs Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. ET/3:30 p.m. PT and Sundays at 1:30 a.m. ET/10:30 p.m. PT, 6:30 a.m. ET/3:30 a.m. PT, and 11 p.m. ET/8 p.m. PT. He is the author of several books, including The Spirits of America: A Social History of Alcohol (Temple University)
    This is ****ing Great! Now we can say "**** you!" or "This ****ign sucks!" all we want on TV. Now the only thing left is for Apolyton to allow it! Comeon Mods, don't be ****heads, let us say **** on apolyton!
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

seriously, dont ****ing limit my ****ing diction w/ ur ****ing "extremeration"(read:moderation).

Comment

**** this is a ****ing awesome day
      **** it, this ****s the whole world as we **** about it

Comment

We don't have any language limitations on TV, AFAIK. The TV channels know when they can use it.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

****trumpet
          cluster****
          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Then again this isn't ****ing television.

Comment

well, at least we can say 'Dickhead!'
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Isn't the F-word originally an acronym? Not sure where I got it from, I always though I had read it somewhere.
                IIRC it used to be a term describing eugh extra marital exercises.
                Fornication
                ?
                ?
                ?
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

**** that Ghengis!

Comment

Re: Victory for the 4 letter F word: You can now say the word on TV!

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi

This is ****ing Great! Now we can say "**** you!" or "This ****ign sucks!" all we want on TV. Now the only thing left is for Apolyton to allow it! Comeon Mods, don't be ****heads, let us say **** on apolyton!
                    Keep ****ing dreaming, ****wit. There isn't a ****ing chance in hell. So **** off.
                    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                      Isn't the F-word originally an acronym? Not sure where I got it from, I always though I had read it somewhere.
                      Fornication
                      ?
                      ?
                      ?
                      Naaah, from what I've read, it's derived from an old Saxon word.
                      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Being?

Comment

@ this thread

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                            Fornication
                            ?
                            ?
                            ?
                            Under the Consent of the King. The story goes that it was a sign put up on whorehouses that had paid off the government, so that constables would conveniently look the other way. Unfortunately, it's a myth. The word's just a derivation of an early German term meaning the same thing. Fokken or some such.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Dictionary.com

[Middle English, attested in pseudo-Latin fuccant, (they) ****, deciphered from gxddbov.]

Word History: The obscenity **** is a very old word and has been considered shocking from the first, though it is seen in print much more often now than in the past. Its first known occurrence, in code because of its unacceptability, is in a poem composed in a mixture of Latin and English sometime before 1500. The poem, which satirizes the Carmelite friars of Cambridge, England, takes its title, “Flen flyys,” from the first words of its opening line, “Flen, flyys, and freris,” that is, “fleas, flies, and friars.” The line that contains **** reads “Non sunt in coeli, quia gxddbov xxkxzt pg ifmk.” The Latin words “Non sunt in coeli, quia,” mean “they [the friars] are not in heaven, since.” The code “gxddbov xxkxzt pg ifmk” is easily broken by simply substituting the preceding letter in the alphabet, keeping in mind differences in the alphabet and in spelling between then and now: i was then used for both i and j; v was used for both u and v; and vv was used for w. This yields “fvccant [a fake Latin form] vvivys of heli.” The whole thus reads in translation: “They are not in heaven because they **** wives of Ely [a town near Cambridge].”
                              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Working...
                              X